PDA

View Full Version : Differential gasket surface corrosion observations

Red Eye
02-14-2013, 02:35 AM
Preparing to change the oil in the differential, I realized that I needed a torx hex larger than T60 so I left the drain plug intact and pulled off the cover instead.

It was a lucky that I did.

You can see how the corrosion has crept over the casting under the gasket surface about half way across in some areas.

Fortunately, I have a piece of high speed steel so I can repair the damage (scrape down with a piece of high speed steel) before reassembly.

I thought this observation warranted a new thread so other Sprinter owners living and driving in high winter salt areas like us up here in Canada might want to keep an eye on this potential problem.

sailquik
02-14-2013, 04:48 AM
Smear a very thin coat of Bostik Never-Seize anti seize compound on that surface and you will never have that problem again.
Not really necessary to scrape that tiny bit of rust off that surface.
If the cover is sealed by a gasket (looks like it is as the impression of the gasket part number is on the surface) then an ultra light
film of anti-seize on the 2 metal surfaces and some Edelbrock Gaskacinch or better still Hylomar PL32M applied to both sides of the gasket
and you will have no futher corrosion and no leaks.
Do you know if that cover had ever been removed before in the life of the vehicle?
How many miles again?
Roger

Red Eye
02-14-2013, 03:29 PM
sailquik, I don't have records of any work done on this used Sprinter, so I have been changing oils and filters as a precaution.

Is now about 130,000km. diff oil was in decent condition for diff oil. Typical black, but no sediment at all, so it could have gone a lot longer prior to changing.

You are right. There "was" a gasket there which will be replaced with a new one.

The corrosion is about .015 (about 4 sheets of paper) which I feel will just continue to grow unless removed. {no big deal, I just run a "Shop Vac" right there where I'm scraping to catch all the debris)

Thank you for the tips on preparing the surface for re sealing.

Never heard of Hylomar. Will pick me up a tube of it next time at the NAPA auto parts store.

Red Eye
02-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Just one more post on this thread from me, only because when I was much younger, I wished that someone had shown me this trick. For years, I would get oil all over the place. LOL

Put a piece of tape across the bottom of the filler hole to keep the oil from running back out when you get close to reaching "full".
The fluid, being viscous, takes a while to flow to the other side of the diff, so go up a quarter to 3/8" past full. Wait a couple of minutes. Take the tape off and you will be pretty well right on the correct level.

jdcaples
02-15-2013, 03:23 AM
I posted this here, but it's buried as the 108th posting in one of Vic's cheap trick threads.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87790#post87790

D9OTQ6Ipf8s

-Jon