PDA

View Full Version : Ball joints - best place to purchase?

Dan_Clizer
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Does anyone have recommendations on the best place(s) to buy ball joints?

Thanks!

Dan

pgr
02-13-2013, 08:31 PM
About $55 at Amazon for Moogs (forT1N)

Dan_Clizer
02-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Thank you pgr, much appreciated!

Dan

About $55 at Amazon for Moogs (forT1N)

pgr
02-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=Moog+K7455+Ball+Joint

Be sure you really need them though. Check out Doktor A's method of checking, etc.

Aqua Puttana
02-13-2013, 08:41 PM

Thanks!

Dan
Not that you asked...

Do you really need them?

From a work in progress.

The Ball joints
The MB Sprinter ball joints should not be condemned using the "pry them around and watch for movement" test which is typically employed by many mechanics. In fact, MB warns against using such test methods. Make certiain that the proper test has been done before replacing your ball joints.To quote Doktor A, "Traditional ball joint assessment methods are completely inappropriate for the Sprinter."

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15656&highlight=ball+joint
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15660&highlight=ball+joint

vic

pgr
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
That's why mine is still in the box Vic, 6 months later!

Dan_Clizer
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Thank you Vic for asking and also for sharing those threads. To answer your question, I'm pretty sure I do. I have massive steering wheel shake (and wobble as I go downhill and around corners). I've put a lot of off highway use = bad county roads on this van because of what I do and where I live (in the mountains) and I've a feeling that at least the right front ball joint is fried.

Dan

Not that you asked...

Do you really need them?

From a work in progress.

The Ball joints
The MB Sprinter ball joints should not be condemned using the "pry them around and watch for movement" test which is typically employed by many mechanics. In fact, MB warns against using such test methods. Make certiain that the proper test has been done before replacing your ball joints.To quote Doktor A, "Traditional ball joint assessment methods are completely inappropriate for the Sprinter."

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15656&highlight=ball+joint
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15660&highlight=ball+joint

vic

pgr
02-13-2013, 09:22 PM
I ended up replacing my struts instead (pretty simple) and it cured my shaking at least for now.

Dan_Clizer
02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
That is excellent that the struts ended up curing it. I hope I'm diagnosing this one of mine properly.

Dan

I ended up replacing my struts instead (pretty simple) and it cured my shaking at least for now.

pgr
02-13-2013, 10:04 PM
If you have over 100k miles it wouldn't hurt to replace the stuts first and see what happens.

I got these from Amazon for $100 each inc shipping

KYB 335809 Excel-G OE Replacement Strut
by KYB

Dan_Clizer
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Okay, thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it! I do have about 123,000 on it.

Dan

If you have over 100k miles it wouldn't hurt to replace the stuts first and see what happens.

by KYB

Jim42
02-14-2013, 08:11 PM

Thanks!

Dan

The best place to buy ball joints is ROCKAUTO.com
The MOOG is the best and on 02/15/2013 they are on sale $28.79.Hurry up!!!:rad:
This is a link:http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1434745,parttype,10070
Good luck!

NelsonSprinter
02-15-2013, 03:49 AM
I have massive steering wheel shake (and wobble as I go downhill and around corners). I've put a lot of off highway use = bad county roads on this van because of what I do and where I live (in the mountains) and I've a feeling that at least the right front ball joint is fried.

Dan

That wobble may be from worn steering link called " tie rod ends", or warped rotors, unbalanced wheels, so check those out too.:thumbup:

Boater
02-15-2013, 12:12 PM
That wobble may be from worn steering link called " tie rod ends", or warped rotors, unbalanced wheels, so check those out too.:thumbup:

Or a worn steering rack, but I reckon you will get through a few track/tie rod ends first.

Dan_Clizer
02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks pgr. I replied a couple of days ago, but it looks like the forum did not post it. I do have about 123,000 miles on it. It very well could be that struts are a better first option. There is a lot of play on the right front, and when I move it around, it appears as if its the upper part of the strut that's moving....

Dan

by KYB

pgr
02-15-2013, 07:01 PM
I replaced my front rotors and pads at the same time as doing the struts it saved a lot of time. One of my front tires had a lot of cupping on the outside of the tread that was making lots of vibration and noise and after changing the tire, rotors, pads and shocks it all seems good for now, at least. I've only driven three or four thousand miles since then but no observable wear on the new tire or vibrations any more.

Dan_Clizer
02-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help. I greatly appreciate it!

Dan

surlyoldbill
02-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Dudes, soory I was late to the party. My thread about tire feathering explains my front end wobble. It turned out to be low power steering fluid, NOY worn inner tie rod ends like the tire shop said. I was able to shake the tire on the horizontal plane with my hands enough to reveal a "clunk". After replacing the struts, tie rods and ends, ball joints...I discovered the low PS fluid. Now I don't have to worry about my front end for a long time, though.

I installed ball joints that have mini grease zerts, I forget which brand, a relative got them at a shop he uses for heavy equipment parts, they had them in stock.

Dan_Clizer
02-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Thanks for chiming in Bill. It sure helps to get everyone's perspective because it just gives us more simple things to check first before the not so simple ones...

I'm glad you got a new front end out of the deal and that you were not bummed about it. That's a good attitude.

Dan

Dudes, soory I was late to the party. My thread about tire feathering explains my front end wobble. It turned out to be low power steering fluid, NOY worn inner tie rod ends like the tire shop said. I was able to shake the tire on the horizontal plane with my hands enough to reveal a "clunk". After replacing the struts, tie rods and ends, ball joints...I discovered the low PS fluid. Now I don't have to worry about my front end for a long time, though.

I installed ball joints that have mini grease zerts, I forget which brand, a relative got them at a shop he uses for heavy equipment parts, they had them in stock.