PDA

View Full Version : 06 Starts then stalls ok second turn of the key?

micgyver
02-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi Guys, I have a 2006 Van with inline 5 diesel.

When it starts for the first timein the morning or after being off for some tim. I'll give it some gas it stuggles and then stalls. If I start it again right after the stall its like nothing happened and I can drive off as normal.
I'm going out to try to clean the map sensor before starting it today, It's been sitting all night and the block should be very cold -5c here in Toronto,Canada. I have seen where others have mention it could be egr valve but how do you clean them? If there's anything any one knows what I should be looking for please leave a post or link to where I should be reading. :idunno:Thanks

micgyver
02-13-2013, 10:42 PM
I tried removing air filter and installing a clean one, then while I had the cover out I cleaned the mass air flow sensor. Still have issue of rough idling and no pep when gas pedal is pushed. Turn it off and then back on, its ok until I turn it off again. then back to crap.
I bought throttle body cleaner but it doens't say do not use on diesel. Im going to call kleen Flow tomorrow to see if I can use this. For some reason I don't think its a good idea.

autostaretx
02-13-2013, 10:58 PM
The symptom sounds somewhat like fuel starvation... when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
(there could also be a leak/lack somewhere that leaves you with enough fuel to start, but not to run until the in-tank pump refills things)

--dick

micgyver
02-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I can't remember the last time I did an oil and fuel filter change but I think it due for one very soon. I know that the recommended oil change is 30,000 kilometers but I usually like to do mine a little more often then that. I will try tonight to do oil and filter change and keep everyone updated. Thanks:thinking::thinking:

A.Hayes
02-16-2013, 03:03 PM
I know that the recommended oil change is 30,000 kilometers but I usually like to do mine a little more often then that.

I believe the recommended oil change is every 10,000 mi (~18,000 km).

talkinghorse43
02-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Might be 30k km in Europe, but they have much better fuel and lax emissions requirements, both of which result in much less soot generation.

micgyver
02-17-2013, 12:43 PM
I changed fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body when the egr is, it would be nice to remove the egr completely and clean but I have more ready how to remove. I used -a can of egr cleaner by removing the turbo hose and spraying it in and it run great for two starts then went back to the same old problem.

tr4dude
02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Check your engine wiring harness where it goes over the intake. make sure it is not rubbing on the tab that is sticking up. Maybe :idunno:

micgyver
02-18-2013, 12:27 AM
I will check that tomorrow and hopefully that could be the problem or I will have to check the egr valve. Also today driving the vehicle it would not go above 3000 rpm until I turn the key for the second time that it would run normal. Would the wiring cause it to be intermittent? It always good the second time starting.

micgyver
04-17-2013, 03:18 PM
OK I've done oil change, brought it in to dealership they thought it was map sensors and put in a new one. They where going to drive it out and it stalled. They brought it back in and put my old map sensor back in and told me no charge after 4 hrs. As I was leaving another sprinter came into the lot and I start talking to him. He was very mad with this dealership and said to go the another one in missassuga (10min west of toronto)with one of the young European guys that breaths sprinters. This guys sprinter was so quiet I could have thought it was gas,(but we know it wasn't)he said he had the hi pressure pump rebuilt and the biggest change was the injectors where rebuilt too! I drove over to the other dealership and met this other mechanic and he checked the van. There where no codes in then computer and he said that he could put a used one to Try on the Monday coming up. I got very busy and didn't go back. If it had cleared the problem up he wanted 800.00 for the part and another 3/400 for labour. I drove the next few weeks and found out the batteries where dying or dead. I have two of the same batteries from Canadian tire ( eleminators) with extra warranty. BIG MISTAKE BUYING FROM CANADIAN TIRE!!!) I brought the first one into the store and I had receipt but no warranty paper and they won't take it back. I complained to the manager and he took one battery and said find the warranty slip and bring back the second one back at the same time. A few weeks go by and I see him a few other time buying stuff and told him I couldn't find the warranty slip. He said "come in with the other one and I'll take care of it. "The next few days I returned and removed the other battery from the front. I Brought it in and gave the battery to him , he asked "where's the paperwork again"... I told him it might be at home but I just removed the starting battery. In short I got mad and got CAA to come and put a battery in. The truck starts faster and the glow plugs warm up in literly 3 seconds but it did not solve the egr valve problem I think it is. I will keep everyone updated on what is happening and much shorter with no venting.