PDA

View Full Version : Cost for front brake job with repairs?

Colorado_Al
02-13-2013, 03:18 PM
I might be at the mercy of the shop my Sprinter is located at, but I just wanted to check pricing to see if I'm getting ripped off or if this is a fair deal.

Traveling x-country to job site. Front right caliper seized. Metal on metal. Red hot! Rotor is shot, Caliper needs work. Minimum fix or replace caliper pin. Possible might need caliper rebuild? Also might need wheel bearing repacked/replaced?

Anyhow, new front rotors, new caliper pins, new pads, new sensors, labor = $500. Can get me back on the road in 2 hours = $priceless.

I may just have to go forward with it to salvage the work day and tomorrow's as well.

Wagner Severe Duty pads
AC Delco Dura Stop rotors

Like I said, I might just have to go for it and deal with the cost to get back on the road.
Shop is a national chain and warranty is available nationwide, so that's something.

Anyhow, any input would be great.
Thanks!

flman
02-13-2013, 03:23 PM
That is not bad, but not good either, but I would just eat it if I were in the same situation? You have got to start carrying your own tools I guess?

Colorado_Al
02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks. I do carry tools with me, but not sure I want to tackle a caliper repair roadside. May have to flush brake fluid too. Don't carry those tools with me. Possible that can wait till I get home. I think I need to just have the repairs done and eat the cost of labor.
I was able to get the wheel off but couldn't get the rotor bolt to budge. I don't have an impact wrench as part of my traveling kit either. That's what caused the trip to the shop.
They were able to get the rotor bolt out and pry off the rotor, but it took a lot of work. More banging and prying than I'm comfortable with if the van is on the bottle jack. Seems to me that the parts are probably about $200-$250 even if I did the job myself, which would take me all day.
I think you're right. Just get it done and get back on the road in time to make the $250 labor back by working at my job, not on my van.

jdcaples
02-13-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure where you're at or how far a long things are, but I agree that you just pay the money and get back to work.

When you get down time, it'd be a good idea to find out what caused this to happen and if there is any preventative maint practice that you may adopt so it doesn't happen again.

-Jon

Colorado_Al
02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Agreed. Parts have already arrived and they are getting to work. If all goes well, I'll be back on the road in an hour or so.
In the meantime, I'm working by remote while they work. By the time they get done I'll have made 1/2 of the labor cost back.
Just burns me to pay someone to do what I can at my own garage, but I guess you get what you pay for. My "free" labor has to be done when time allows and I guess my preventative maint is not as good as it should be.
Thanks!

PS- I know what caused it. It's common in the Bosch caliper for the pin to seize and cause the caliper to stop floating. It's just a pain to get to and grease, so it isn't something that normally gets done if you're not already doing a brake job.
I just hope that the caliper is OK and just needs a new pin. If it needs to be rebuilt, or replaced, my cost just went way up.
I'll report back.

Thanks again!
Al

CJPJ
02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Traveling x-country to job site. Front right caliper seized. Metal on metal. Red hot! Rotor is shot, Caliper needs work. Minimum fix or replace caliper pin. Possible might need caliper rebuild? Also might need wheel bearing repacked/replaced?

Anyhow, new front rotors, new caliper pins, new pads, new sensors, labor = $500. Can get me back on the road in 2 hours = $priceless.

Anyhow, any input would be great.
Thanks!
Colorado_Al sorry that you had a sudden breakdown.

...Caliper seized ?...Possible might need caliper rebuild? Does this mean that the calipers piston hyper extended,...then got cockeyed and couldn't retract back into the cylinders bore ?

* "new front rotors" ... Meaning both front rotors. both sides

Aqua Puttana
02-13-2013, 04:16 PM
...Just burns me to pay someone to do what I can at my own garage, but I guess you get what you pay for. ...Thanks again!
Al
I'd feel the same way, but you're on the road and that's what credit cards are for.

I learned one lesson on the road... inspect that all the brake hoses and such look good after someone else does the job.

Same situation as you on my Dodge B250. Stuck parts, premature pad failure. Had some chain my sister recommended do the work. Seemed fine for the rest of the trip. Sometime later I was working on another issue and noticed that the brake hose was almost worn through because it was rubbing. The steel brake line was bent out of position.

I know what happened. The incompetent bastard that did the brake job either hung the caliper by the hose, or set the caliper up on the frame and it fell to be caught by the hose. Clearly he never inspected things or he would have noticed that the hose was out of place. Anyway, new hose/line assembly and all was well. Could've been ugly though if it had worn all the way through.

See if they will let you inspect things after the job is complete, but before the lift is down. You can use my brake hose story as your own if you feel the need for a reason. Good luck. vic

Colorado_Al
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Colorado_Al sorry that you had a sudden breakdown.

...Caliper seized ?... Does this mean that the calipers piston hyper extended,...then got cockeyed and couldn't retract back into the cylinders bore ?

* "new front rotors" ... Meaning both front rotors. both sides

What appears to have happened is that the pin in the caliper that allows it to float seized. When the caliper piston extended, it pulled the outside pad in (along with the rest of the caliper assembly, and the pad and assembly got stuck there. It looks like the piston is in working order and no need to rebuild it. Just replace the seized pin and grease it. Then reassemble.

Also, yes, both right and left rotors.

Colorado_Al
02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Back on the road! Looks like they did a good job and quick too! $506.