PDA

View Full Version : front wheel bearings

floorlayer
02-11-2013, 11:51 PM
just had my van mot done and front wheel bearings are worn
its a 2008 but only done 24,000 miles:thumbdown: been told bearings are a sealed unit
and cost about 215.00 plus vat:censored:

jdcaples
02-12-2013, 01:09 AM
just had my van mot done and front wheel bearings are worn
its a 2008 but only done 24,000 miles:thumbdown: been told bearings are a sealed unit
and cost about 215.00 plus vat:censored:

That is confirmed by forum member (inactive for a while due to unfavorable interpersonal dynamics) MobileOilChange.

He states MB was "skimpy" on the bearing grease.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27189

In Daimler's favor, mine have been fine for over 50,000 US miles.
-Jon

dubyajayes
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
What were the symptoms that led you to the front wheel bearings? I have a 2010 Winnebago (2008 Dodge 3500 Sprinter chassis, 3.0 diesel) with about 65K miles. At about 45-55mph, I hear what I thought was a rubbing brake pad, kind of an "out-of-round" type noise, comes and goes, noise not there all the time. I've check the drive line, u-joints-bearings apper tight and good. I've checked the brakes, replaced the front rotors (at about 25mm thickness). Jacked up, wheels turn smooth and without any noise. Wondering about the bearings, I see there is no way to grease them.

Aqua Puttana
02-12-2013, 05:21 PM
...I see there is no way to grease them.
That's true (per TH43:thumbup:) on an NCV3. You need to buy the correct model/side steering knuckle assembly.

http://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=1958&cID=&scID=

(As opposed to the T1N where the front wheel bearings are very conventional. The hub and bearing cages need to be disaasembled so they can be wiped down, races wiped, inspected. If all is OK they then are re-greased and re-installed. Cleaning the bearings with solvent is not recommended because that can negatively affect how the new grease adheres to the re-packed bearings. Just force the old grease out during re-pack, wipe them down to remove the old grease, and then add more new grease.)

As to spinning a wheel to find a bad bearing...
Generally spinning a wheel under no load, to the very slow RPM's you can achieve by hand is not much of a test unless the bearings are very bad.

I find this test will help to reveal questionable bearings. For obvious reasons, don't do this test if you have been drinking ANY alcoholic beverages. Find an expressway or other two lane one direction straight, deserted highway. Set your cruise control. Very gently, with a bit of a turn each time, move the steering wheel so you snake down the highway. Listen for changes in wheel noises as you do this. A bad wheel bearing will often only make noise in one direction during the test. If you notice a different sound when you turn the wheel one way as opposed to the other then the bearings should probably be further inspected. This is not a specific scientific method, but it has worked for me.

FWIW. vic

talkinghorse43
02-12-2013, 07:45 PM
True for the T1N, but I thought I saw somewhere here that the NCV3's are not serviceable - you have to buy a new hub?

piper1
02-12-2013, 11:48 PM
NCV3 front bearings are a sealed non serviceable unit.

To the OP..get a second opinion...the hubs are not a common failure unless the vehicle has been in a frontal side impact accident. Many go 100's of thousands of miles.