PDA

View Full Version : Tires/Rims load carrying question.

socalsupermoto
02-11-2013, 11:44 PM
so here's my van and blingy wheels that came on it. I routinely put 3 dirtbikes in it, sometimes 4 with one on the hitch.

http://socalsupermoto.smugmug.com/Other/sprinter-wheels/i-CpMqdgb/0/O/IMG_8957.jpg

What's better for carrying load:
1) running 20's with 275/50/20 rubber

or

2) stock alluminum rims with 145/80/16 tires.

I hate the look and harsh ride of the 20's. I dig the stability. and no I'm not getting a trailer :) Thanks in advance.

MillionMileSprinter
02-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Oh boy. Now you've stepped into it. You'll get lots of interesting responses.
Let's make an assumption that your "20 wheels are properly load rated for the van (can you verify this?).
It all boils down to the LOAD RATING of your tires. That would be the XXX number- 275/50/20 XXX or 145/80/16 XXX
Or the "C" "D" or "E" load rating if there isn't the XXX number on your tire. Do a search or just wait and someone else will post the MB recommended load rating for your NCV3.
Tire SIZE doesn't matter all that much. LOAD RATING does. (I'm not trying to "shout" with my caps, just emphasize).
On my T1N, I have 109 load rated summer tires which is technically underrated, but only if I plan on carrying FULL capacity, which I never come near. 30K miles and only smiles so far.
My winter tires have an "E" rating and can handle a fully loaded van all the time. They also will serve if I ever end up pulling a travel trailer.
Good luck. I'm sure after a day or two of responses, you will get the answers you need.

jdcaples
02-12-2013, 01:13 AM
The manufacturer info is based on the foundation principle that you're using tires which are "stock" and at the "stock" load range.

Venture outside of those parameters and you're on your own.

All the documentation is based on the premise that you haven't changed wheels or tire ratings. For 2500 US/Canadian Sprinters that means Load Range E and 245/75 R16 tires.

-Jon

socalsupermoto
02-12-2013, 04:10 AM
OK, so if the load rating is equal on both tires, what would handle hauling better? I guess the best answer is the fact that every company that uses these for hauling uses stock wheel sizes. I just wondered if the wider rim/tire would be a bit more dually-esque and more stable provided the load rating was the same.

MillionMileSprinter
02-12-2013, 12:20 PM
OK, so if the load rating is equal on both tires, what would handle hauling better? I guess the best answer is the fact that every company that uses these for hauling uses stock wheel sizes. I just wondered if the wider rim/tire would be a bit more dually-esque and more stable provided the load rating was the same.

Yes. If the load rating on both sets of tires is high enough, then it really is up to your own personal preference. I like the more stable feel of my wider summer tires, but that's my personal preference. Your sprinter is able to carry much more weight than 3 or 4 dirtbikes, so I wouldn't worry about weight or the extra stability of the wider tires... unless, of course, you feel a difference. Do what you wish. It sounds like either way, you are operating within the safe limits of your van and wheel/tire combo. :thumbup: