PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Blades Don't Fit Right

alan_f
02-11-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm having a lot more difficulty finding wiper blades that will fit my 2006 T1N -- tried some Bosch blades I picked up at Napa and they missed most of the windshield. Swapped them out for Napa brand and the driver's side works, but the passenger side misses the entire middle and only touches on the tips.

Any advise on brands? Go to Dodge and get OEM? There were Rain-X wipers on there when I got it, but they were having similar issues, not sure if it was just age or not.

Thanks,
Alan

Altered Sprinter
02-11-2013, 02:13 AM
One wiper is longer say 24' the other is shorter say 19' Measure them/
Cheers Richard

alan_f
02-11-2013, 02:16 AM
I bought what the book said, which was a 24" for the driver's side and a 21" for the passenger's side -- now that you mention it, I wonder if I should trust the book or not and get a slightly shorter one for the passenger side...

Altered Sprinter
02-11-2013, 02:39 AM
If not a genuine MB product as to a typical German odd metric size, aftermarket requires trimming back of blade if fitting into the original OEM metal blade that holds the rubber wiper blade.
Cheers Richard

jmoller99
02-11-2013, 04:35 AM
I buy my wiper blades at Costco - They are made by Goodyear. I usually buy them when they are 2 for 1 priced. I replace them every year.

While my NAFTA T1N is supposed to use 24 inch (driver) and 22 inch (passenger), I use a 22 and 20 inch instead - the right size seems too long for me.

If your wiper blade arms are twisted (one of mine was when I bought the Spriinter) - ie. they do not press straight down onto the window, you can wrap some news paper (to keep from scratching the surface of the metal wiper arms) and clamp it with a vice grip and twist it until is sits flat against the windshield. Don't take anything apart to do this. The wiper arm will fight back, but with a bit of effort, you can get it done.

Aqua Puttana
02-11-2013, 12:59 PM
I buy my wiper blades at Costco - They are made by Goodyear. I usually buy them when they are 2 for 1 priced. I replace them every year.

While my NAFTA T1N is supposed to use 24 inch (driver) and 22 inch (passenger), I use a 22 and 20 inch instead - the right size seems too long for me.

If your wiper blade arms are twisted (one of mine was when I bought the Spriinter) - ie. they do not press straight down onto the window, you can wrap some news paper (to keep from scratching the surface of the metal wiper arms) and clamp it with a vice grip and twist it until is sits flat against the windshield. Don't take anything apart to do this. The wiper arm will fight back, but with a bit of effort, you can get it done.
I do similar reduced length blades. The area of the windshield not cleared doesn't affect my field of vision at all. Think about it. Reducing the length by 1" means that you lose only 1/2" at the top and 1/2" the bottom.

Some benefits of shorter blades.

Less drag and force on the wiper mechanicals.
No more hitting the windshield trim rubber with the tip.
Less windage with shorter wipers so less tendency to lift or "sail" at higher speeds.
Shorter blade means slightly more down pressure per inch by the arm spring (may help with center wipe issues)

Check that your wiper pivots near the base move freely or they can bind and reduce the effective pressure of the wiper arm spring. The springs can also lose tension over time. A quick fix for that could be just putting a slight bend in the arm steel to increase the spring tension. Good luck. vic

david_42
02-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I buy a pair of 24" inserts and cut to fit. Still using the original carriers.

glvu
03-04-2014, 02:13 AM
I bought my Goodyear Blade from Costco 24" and 22"and they don't seem to fit either, the passenger side extends outside the windshield. See pics. I am going to return them and try 22" and 20" like jmoller99 have suggested.

On another note, I have to readjust the driver wiper arm it was loosen. At current position at rest(see pic) seem high does anyone know if it is suppose to be lower, maybe to the tinted (black)portion at the lower part of the windshield.

surlyoldbill
03-04-2014, 06:01 AM
I've also found that the 24/22 combo is too big, the passenger wiper hung off the glass. I use a 22/20 as well.
I didn't have much luck with the Costco Goodyear wipers, they chattered unless the window was really wet. I forget what I have on there now, but they were less than $10 each and operate smoothly even with a light mist or random drops.

cahaak
03-04-2014, 10:41 PM
I use 22" on both sides - makes buying them easier. If your blades are not laying right on the glass when the wipers are full down, then you need to flip open the hood so you can access the nut on the wiper. Remove it, pull it off the spline shaft and reposition it where you want it to lay and tighten things back up. Sometime the arms get out of whack as indicated and you need to "rebend" them.

I just put some new wipers on my Dad's Grand Caravan. Those are 28" long each!!

Chris

Kat
03-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the tip! I bought some Costco 24/22 wiper blades a while back but hadn't installed them yet. I'm going to take them back and go to my local auto parts store and buy some inserts. That's what I do with my car and the salesman always installs them for me.

Kat

hkpierce
03-05-2014, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the tip! I bought some Costco 24/22 wiper blades a while back but hadn't installed them yet. I'm going to take them back and go to my local auto parts store and buy some inserts. That's what I do with my car and the salesman always installs them for me.

Kat

Kat - This is the T1N sub-forum. Are the lengths called for your NVC3 the same as the T1N?

Kat
03-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Kat - This is the T1N sub-forum. Are the lengths called for your NVC3 the same as the T1N?

:bash: Good point! Tomorrow I'll go measure the new ones with the existing ones.

israndy
03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
I didn't have much luck with the Costco Goodyear wipers, they chattered unless the window was really wet.

I like RainX for this exact issue... Of course I would prefer if my Sprinter had Rain Sensors and would only go when the windshield was wet. There is a mod I would like a writeup on...

-Randy

sailquik
03-05-2014, 11:03 PM
israndy,
I have that on the new 2014....it works perfectly.
Turn the wiper on to the intermittent (1st click) and it speeds up and slows down as the rain increases and decreases.
A very nice feature for sure!
Roger

israndy
03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
israndy,
I have that on the new 2014....it works perfectly.
Turn the wiper on to the intermittent (1st click) and it speeds up and slows down as the rain increases and decreases.
A very nice feature for sure!
Roger

:eek:Where is the green with envy Smilie:doh:

I have it on my new convertible, it is VERY nice. Didn't get to use it for the first 8 months I owned it as I live in California, but these last two weeks, Yee-Haw!

I recently replaced the windshield and spent the whole time wondering if I could add that feature, buy the sensor and wire it into the dash, activate the computer. Perhaps the next big rock I'll actually find a way to install that feature.

-Randy

surlyoldbill
03-06-2014, 03:00 PM
retrofit rheostat for variable wiper speed?

Gimpy666
03-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Costco in Canada sell Michelin wiper blades and the size in their catalogue I believe was 20 & 22, mine fit perfect. I have been driving for fifty years and they are without a doubt the best brand of blades I've ever used. $10 per blade.

terra_firma
06-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Soooo im considering getting the oem bosch wipers on europarts since they are only $15 for the set, but i would like to try rainx since i hear they are a bit better (and maybe wont sound like nails on a chalkboard)

should i try to the 22/24" combo or do they end up being larger than the oem ones?

jmoller99
06-23-2015, 05:16 PM
I second the CostCo wiper blades. I use 20 inch for both (and have since 2011 - plenty big for me). These have the right adapter for the Big Loop Mercedes wiper blade arms.

Costco sometimes has 2 for 1 price sales on them.

NOTE: I had to bend the arms to get the blades to be positioned correctly on the window (a large screwdriver used in the blade hook part of the wiper arm to gently get them to be pressing down flat on the windshield was needed, as over the years, the wipers did not press down squarely on the windshield anymore). If you have chatter, its probably because of this.

terra_firma
06-23-2015, 06:02 PM
hmmm, don't have a costco membership or one close by. Does anyone have feedback on the rain x ones? Are the bosch ones just crappy?

Paul_E_D
06-23-2015, 07:05 PM
RainX here. Best I've used on any vehicle.

glasseye
06-23-2015, 10:27 PM
I installed the Bosch ones and they were no better than any other I've tried. The driver's side in particular skipped and chattered just like the cheapest ones I've used. Waset of money. :bash:

israndy
06-24-2015, 01:09 PM
You can also just buy RainX the windshield spray, it will make the glass so smooth to moisture that the wipers will be quiet. I did have RainX, but have gone back to Costco as I have LOTS of vehicles to replace wipers on, so every 2 years I just buy the whole group when they are on sale at CostCo.

-Randy