PDA

View Full Version : Chains

WPJ
02-11-2013, 01:47 AM
hey there does anyone know the MB part number for a set of tire changes for the 2500 alloy wheels? I could have used a set this weekend.

thanls in advance

icarus
02-11-2013, 02:20 AM
I got mine on line, ~$80 for a nice set of cable chains. Try NAPA. The idea of buying them from MB is pretty scary!

Icarus

WPJ
02-11-2013, 02:33 AM
thanks, I
ll give them a shot, they are not legal in ontario, but I want a set to just help out if im stuck not drive down the road.

jdcaples
02-11-2013, 02:37 AM
There is some guidance here:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-trucks/ba/trucks/sprinter/en/in-depth/d63e25296.shtml

Personally, I went with studded snow tires, Coopers Discover load range E, 245/75 R16

I'm not a fan of cable chains. I've had them break on 3/4 ton and 1 ton vehicles. I do own a set of Go Claws (http://www.flextrax.com/mycustompage0025.htm) which work well at speeds below 30 mph or about ~50 kilometers per hour. They're great.

Where I live, Seattle WA, the snow and ice don't last long enough to warrant fitting the Go Claws in the morning and then taking them off on the drive home.

I've been in Toronto during the snow for several winters on business. I think studded snow tires are the right choice.

Three or four bags of sand, 70 lbs or 30 kilograms sacks of sand, positioned between the rear wheel wells will provide an amazing level of confidence with chains, Go Claws or studded tires.

-Jon

WPJ
02-11-2013, 02:41 AM
thanks jon, studed tires are illigal here as well....or I would have them for sure....i;ll have a read through the links you added.

I was looking at them for just a quick added extra traction, not a all day things.

icarus
02-11-2013, 02:48 AM
Try these:http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/weiss-sock.html

Tire socks, they have a very good rep, are very easy on, (not cheap) but I think they give the benefit of chains without some of the hassles and I'm guessing the OPP would not ticket your using them in a big snow. The fact that chains are not legal in ON is just silly! How many accidents are avoided by chains vs minimal damage, especially with cable chains that do very little damage compared to conventional links.

Icarus

sailquik
02-11-2013, 04:17 AM
Will,
What size are your tires?
The factory alloy wheels can accept many different tire sizes, so the wheel diameter and tire
size are the important criteria for selecting a set of chains.
Roger

WPJ
02-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Will,
What size are your tires?
The factory alloy wheels can accept many different tire sizes, so the wheel diameter and tire
size are the important criteria for selecting a set of chains.
Roger

Same as factory 245/75/R16

jdcaples
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
While I can't find it just now, I read a positive review of Spikes-Spiders and Sprinters.

They have several "styles." Maybe one of them won't offend Municipal or Provincial laws.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

-Jon

PS: or you could just stay home, roast marsh mellows, chocolate and graham crackers. Those aren't illegal substances yet, right? :)

Aqua Puttana
02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
WARNING
From post #13.

RATS!!!

I have never had reason to use them on my Sprinter. Today I realized that the clearance between the rim and caliper isn't enough for the straps to clear.:bash: Those small chains worked great on rear wheel drive with drum brakes. Not so good for wheels on rotor hubs. Sorry for any confusion. I really hadn't any need for them yet. vic

I carry a couple pair of these for emergencies. Not high speed running. Once you're off the back roads remove them. Mine are hand-me-downs. One set had leather straps (now replaced). Probably Model T vintage.

http://www.tirechain.com/G-1200.htm?gclid=CI20g7a4rrUCFUid4AodDGMA5w

My Dad always recommended two per wheel mounted closer to one another, not directly opposite (180 degrees). His theory is that the first one would hit, grab and then the second would give another push on the now slowed wheel.

Old technology. Fairly cheap. Easy to stow. Not needed many times in decades of driving. More of a security blanket as I don't often off road. FWIW. vic

Tuck5000
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
I just picked up some Thule XG 12 chains. They are a self tension chain, seem to fit really nice, and easy to install. I have only put them on in the driveway, no test drive yet. They are a little pricey...

WPJ
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
I carry a couple pair of these for emergencies. Not high speed running. Once you're off the back roads remove them. Mine are hand-me-downs. One set had leather straps (now replaced). Probably Model T vintage.

http://www.tirechain.com/G-1200.htm?gclid=CI20g7a4rrUCFUid4AodDGMA5w

My Dad always recommended two per wheel mounted closer to one another, not directly opposite (180 degrees). His theory is that the first one would hit, grab and then the second would give another push on the now slowed wheel.

Old technology. Fairly cheap. Easy to stow. Not needed many times in decades of driving. More of a security blanket as I don't often off road. FWIW. vic

Aqua, I think this is exactly what Im looking for thanks.

Aqua Puttana
02-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Aqua, I think this is exactly what Im looking for thanks.
RATS!!!

I have never had reason to use them on my Sprinter. Today I realized that the clearance between the rim and caliper isn't enough for the straps to clear.:bash: Those small chains worked great on rear wheel drive with drum brakes. Not so good for wheels on rotor hubs. Sorry for any confusion. I really hadn't any need for them yet. vic

WPJ
02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
I haven't ordered yet. They said to check the clearances for breaks in the site

flman
02-13-2013, 08:51 PM
RATS!!!

I can see that being a problem, the old US steel rims had a slot cut right near the arc of the rim, so hardly any clearance needed, the Sprinter has those round holes a couple inches in, so I guess they would get too close?

icarus
02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
I think this is one example of why cable chains have taken over. Almost as effective, easier to install, and much easier to store.

Icarus

flman
02-13-2013, 10:17 PM
I think this is one example of why cable chains have taken over. Almost as effective, easier to install, and much easier to store.

Icarus

How true, I think I only used chains once stuck in an ice parking lot 10 or 20 years ago, and I just threw them on the ground to get going, and that was it. Have not had much use for chains in my area in a long time. You also have to consider tire technology, when I was a kid they still had those old hard bias ply tires, radials made a big difference as well.