PDA

View Full Version : Cargo area lights

General Disarray
02-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Is there a place I can buy replacement cargo area lights that are on the side walls of my T1n? The previous owners destroyed all three. They have a flat three prong plug with three wires, brown, white, and brown/white stripe. They have their own fuse, so I'm assuming they are OEM? I actually rather replace them with led 12v's all but those all come with two wires. I guess I could cut the flat connector off and just do two and cap the third wire. What's the breakdown for these brown, white, brown/white stripe wires? Which is which? :idunno:

maxextz
02-09-2013, 10:51 PM
they probably did you a favor as they are of no use and give off very little light.get some white led strips far better light with far less power and no heat.:thumbup:

General Disarray
02-10-2013, 05:36 AM
they probably did you a favor as they are of no use and give off very little light.get some white led strips far better light with far less power and no heat.:thumbup:

Hahaa, probably right. What's what with these 12v brown and white wires?

Aqua Puttana
02-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Hahaa, probably right. What's what with these 12v brown and white wires?
In German vehicles (VW, Porsche, MB, BMW) brown is traditionally ground. Brown with a color stripe is traditionally switched or otherwise controlled ground. The wire of a different color (white in this case) is traditionally the power. In the case of the lights... solid brown is for the local manual on-off switch, brown with stripe is probably controlled by the door circuit and maybe dash. White may be controlled also. Do the lights dim to off? If they do, then they are controlled by a module. I think only NCV3 cargo lights dim to off.

I don't have schematics so verify with a meter. FWIW. vic

Boater
02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Brown/White is indeed the switched line for the door switches - the cargo lights operate when either the rear or side doors are opened. I do have the schematics in my Haynes manual, but never trust them 100%, I also have practical experience with the lights!

In mine which has split living area and garage all the brown/white wires had been cut and in the living area Halogen spots with on-base switches are connected to the other 2 wires. The brown/white are cut because the spots don't have 3 position switches.

The drivers side rear cargo light was still present in the garage, but broken so I replaced it (Cicely Mercedes on ebay UK list them) and connected the brown/white directly to the door switch so it can be set to light when that door is opened, but not the sliding door in the living area. I do have another light in the garage which is brighter and operates from the leisure battery, the cargo light helps me find it!

EZoilburner
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Like this one (http://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LED-Strip-SKU-5F&click=13811) maybe.

surlyoldbill
02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
I installed an LED tailgate strip in place of the overhead lights. In a cargo van, you could put one on each side and have a lot of light. I also put in switches to change the light from door activated to always on or always off.

Glow Plug
02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
I installed an LED tailgate strip in place of the overhead lights. In a cargo van, you could put one on each side and have a lot of light. I also put in switches to change the light from door activated to always on or always off.

I'm also about to install some LED's in the back, are these some special switches? Where can can I get a few? Thanks.

JAM
02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm also about to install some LED's in the back, are these some special switches? Where can can I get a few? Thanks.

you can use any switch rated 12 volts and up. Even 110 volt switches work. Your just making or breaking the circuit. The 12 volt should be rated for the amp draw tho which isnt much with led's.

surlyoldbill
02-10-2013, 08:32 PM

regular toggle switches, SPDT with center being "off". I also added a switch to turn off the white LEDs when I want to just have red LEDs to save my night vision when camping. The tailgate strips have white for backup light, and red for turn/brake. You can wire either or both to work when installing inside.

This is the short tailgate strip, for minitrucks; 49". You could put full size strips down each side.
(I removed the rear AC duct, which held the overhead lights)

jmoller99
02-11-2013, 04:35 PM
If you are looking for item 12 on this diagram, the Dodge part number is 05104459AA (you may need to remove the leading 0 to order one online). Googling the part number shows them at around $15 each. (if these are not the lights you are looking for, search for 'LAMP' in the Sprinter 2006 parts pdf file - you should find them with a bit of looking).

I used WARM WHITE LEDs in mine (http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/6451-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon/662/) - these draw around .16 amps instead of the 1.5 amps of the 18 watt bulbs.

Note: This part number (05104459AA) is the same for all T1Ns from 2002 thru 2006. Picture of part attached.