PDA

View Full Version : anyone have source for Beru glow plugs for 2004

SprinterHelp
02-07-2013, 10:43 PM
put some autolites in and worked flawlessly thru dec and january, seemed the colder the better. now i am back to almost starting most of the time. Do the Autolight wear out quickly. Starts like a champ when it was sub zero. Now with a little thaw its getting to be finicky. Seems to get finicky between 25 and 45 degrees. :popcorn:It just seems that the fuel is not firing completely, it fires and outruns the starter and the starter kicks out..it chugs twice and stops like when you try to start a gas engine with water in the gas. I saw some from Diesel Logic but I just want the best and forget about it.
:popcorn:

Altered Sprinter
02-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Sub zero temps results in hard starts fuel gelling-and or excessive water moisture., Try a Cetane booster for Winter.If water is in fuel, then it will refuse to start.
Cheers Richard

Aqua Puttana
02-08-2013, 12:54 AM
put some autolites in and worked flawlessly thru dec and january, seemed the colder the better. now i am back to almost starting most of the time. Do the Autolight wear out quickly. Starts like a champ when it was sub zero. Now with a little thaw its getting to be finicky. Seems to get finicky between 25 and 45 degrees. :popcorn:It just seems that the fuel is not firing completely, it fires and outruns the starter and the starter kicks out..it chugs twice and stops like when you try to start a gas engine with water in the gas. I saw some from Diesel Logic but I just want the best and forget about it.
:popcorn:
The design of the 2004 emissions monitoring is such that if your glow plugs have problems in below 32F or so cold winter weather (presuming that your glow plug system (module) is unmodified intact) you would have a MIL and associated glow plug DTC's.

I've seen many threads offering that Bosch and Beru glow plugs are the only two manufacturers that should be used in a Sprinter. I can't recall many (any?) threads where someone was lamenting having used other brand glow plugs. The glow plugs help only in the initial cold start sequence. Once the cylinder(s) fire the glow plugs can help reduce smoking, but the engine should continue to run anyway. I suspect that your sputtering out problem has nothing to do with glow plugs.

When I needed to replace mine I found a full set of 5 Beru glow plugs on eBay. Good luck. vic

SprinterHelp
03-09-2013, 04:12 AM
solved hard hot start, hard cold star problem solved new Hella cam sensor... 41.00 plus shipping Autoparts Network. OEM part was only 38, i paid 41 and got the HELLA?