PDA

View Full Version : Dealer says I need a resonator.

wildimaginations
02-06-2013, 02:24 AM
I had Stoneridge Chrysler do a promotional free inspection on my 08 Sprinter 2500 and they said I needed new tires (I agree),

Rear brakes are wearing faster on one side than the other so I need to replace one or both calipers and the brakes and flush out the brake lines.

And I need to have my resonator replaced soon.

Where is my resonator located and is it hard to replace?:thinking:

Altered Sprinter
02-06-2013, 02:41 AM
NCV doesn't have the resonator,Ask for a clarification as to what and where the turbo leak is coming from.

icarus
02-06-2013, 02:42 AM
The resonator is on top of the engine on the drivers side sort of mid engine. (do a search on this forum for NCV3 resonatorand you can see it). I beleive it is pretty easy R&R. That said, I have never heard of a resonator failure on an NCV3.

Also, pads wearing more on one side than the other requiring new calipers? That is a new one on me as well. (not saying it isn't happening nor saying the fix isn't "proper") but it is a new one in me. I'll let someone else chime in on that one. That said, I believe that brake flush is a routine service item that is required every 24 months.

Finally, I am wondering what criterion they are using to determine the resonator is "failing"? The resonator is a simple plastic tube (in essence) and when it fails, it leaks charge air, and performance is instantly effected (limited or no turbo boost...see also scan gauge!) so it is not an on again, off again issue typically.

I might also like to know how much the Dodge boys are really on top of Sprinters since they don't sell them anymore. Once again, not saying they are incompetent, but I might like some more info about thier experince and capabilities before I spent any money with them.

Icarus

PS to Altered,, it does have a resonator, (that fact was pointed out to me here a couple of days ago. It is just not prone to failure like the T1N resonators.

sailquik
02-06-2013, 02:43 AM
wildimaginations:
Your NCV3 3.0 V6 Turbo Resonator is located up under the big air filter box that sits between the 2 cylinder heads.
It's just inside the LH rocker cover and tucked in under the black plastic box. It's a little behind (toward the drivers
seat) from the middle (front to back) of the LH rocker cover/cylinder head.
Interesting....... your's is only the 2nd one I've heard of that has failed.
I'd have a good look at it to be sure it's not simply leaking a tiny bit of oil at the hose junctions.
Never heard of an NCV3 turbo resonator that "split" as seam like is so common with the T1N 2.7 liter I 5 OM-647 ('04-'06)
Hope this helps,
Roger

autostaretx
02-06-2013, 02:47 AM
The Turbo Resonator is located among/in the big pipes leading from the turbo charger to the engine's actual intake manifold.

They were/are a common failure item for the older T1N Sprinters (there's a never-dies non-MB aluminum tube replacement available)

There is an aftermarket non-MB replacement/reinforcement for the NCV3 hose endings.. they do frequently split at their hose clamps. See here: http://www.upscaleauto.com/specialty_parts.htm
The dealer may be misinterpreting where the leak is happening.

Turbo Resonator failures can be intermittent... mine would only occasionally leak enough to bother the ECU, but the tarry oil build-up on the hose beneath it showed that it had been leaking (only slightly) for a long time.

--dick

sailquik
02-06-2013, 02:57 AM
wildimaginations,
Here's a parts list showing the approximate location of your Turbo Resonator and what it actually looks like.
Kudos to Vic for the Pic!
#6 in the picture is the turbo resonator!

Altered Sprinter
02-06-2013, 03:03 AM
My mistake I was thinking of the Tins tea cup. :bash:

PLUMMER
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
I have no idea what would go on the Rez. Maybe the input seal and or the output oring can wear or flatten out and start leaking, but that should be clearly evident. There is an internal oring, and a baffle inside, easy to take part but not necessary unless your just nosey like me. All seals can be easily replaced cheap, less than 25 if I remember right.

wildimaginations
02-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I guess this is the resonator. I have been smelling diesel fuel every now and then from the engine compartment so this might be my problem?

Thanks for all your help.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/wildimaginations/P1010817_zps80b74cea.jpg

gary 32
02-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Hey Wild,
My 2007 GL 320cdi, (same v6) had the same issue fuel smell/leak issue.
It was mis diagnosed several times.:bash:
Turns out to be the red soft rubber seal on the turbo had some almost invisible tears just upstream from the resonator. The part is on the Europarts website for somewhere around 20.00, the install maybe 1/2 hour including fumbling, might be worth a look.

jdcaples
02-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Hey Wild,
My 2007 GL 320cdi, (same v6) had the same issue fuel smell/leak issue.
It was mis diagnosed several times.:bash:
Turns out to be the red soft rubber seal on the turbo had some almost invisible tears just upstream from the resonator. The part is on the Europarts website for somewhere around 20.00, the install maybe 1/2 hour including fumbling, might be worth a look.

Do you mean this?

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17359

The rubber collar that goes on the turbo charger (clean air) inlet?

-Jon

gary 32
02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Jon,
That is the part, the GL part is smooth with no ridges not sure about the od and id.
Results are a minor oil leak and the unmetered air causes rough running, hunting and uneven idle speeds.

eltanguero
07-23-2013, 12:31 AM
I have an oil leak around my turbo resonator (I have an '08 2500) and was advised also by Roger today at Stoneridge Dodge in Dublin Ca. It appears to me that it is leaking oil around the large bushing or gasket shown in the photo below.

I was wondering if Wild I or anybody else was able to get anywhere on a warranty repair with this with issue with a dealership? They want $265 to make the repair. It appears to me that the rubbery gasket between the metal piping and the plastic resonator is sold only as part of the resonator at Dodge. My resonator (the body itself) does not appear to be cracked or leaking any oil. I told Roger that it should be covered under the 5-year or 60K drivetrain warranty ( It's at 40K and almost 4 years). Roger says "No."

The alignment of turbo piping seems to be way off compared to the one shown at this website: http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/2008/09/04/changing-the-fuel-filter-part-1/ DISREGARD circled fuel filter.

On Sprinter Guru Jon's advice, I had the transmission fluid changed prior to 60K per Dodge's recommended maintenance schedule at Stoneridge today -- this was my first time of ever going there with my Sprinter. The only other two competent Dodge dealers relative to Sprinter repairs are in Folsom and Gilroy -- at least 85 miles one way so I would like to not get into a warranty battle with Stonerdige (only 33 miles away) if not justified.