PDA

View Full Version : What's going on here? 2006 Sprinter 2500

L8RSK8R
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
2006 Sprinter 2500, 115,000 miles.

Glow Plug
02-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Looks like you need a new EGR valve and gasket, torque to spec.

L8RSK8R
02-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Is that black gunk, part of the original gasket? It has a flaky, metallic feel to it.

Aqua Puttana
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I can't answer your questions, but that is probably not gasket material. :idunno:

It looks like you disassembled the EGR valve and have lost the indexing by doing that. I don't think I have seen any DIY procedures outlined for re-assembly. I'm not saying that it can't be put back together, but I don't think that you can just slap all the parts in place and install the screws.

If you do figure out how to get it all back together and working properly please post how you did it.:thumbup:

Most people who have disassembled the EGR uint proper as you appear to have done have needed to replace it with another EGR.

There is some information here:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205754#post205754

FWIW. vic

L8RSK8R
02-07-2013, 04:14 AM
Yeah, I fugg'd it up.
How in the heck do I figure out "indexing"

david_42
02-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I don't think anyone has figured out indexing the EGR.

talkinghorse43
02-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Is that black gunk, part of the original gasket? It has a flaky, metallic feel to it.

Appears to be part of the gasket (apparently attacked by the antifreeze).

Old Crows
02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
(With an innocent eye blink...) assuming the motor shaft was not rotated and the valve was not rotated.... It appears only to only assemble one way. Wouldn't it restore its index position?

Crow must be missing the obvious!

Aqua Puttana
02-07-2013, 07:59 PM
(With an innocent eye blink...) assuming the motor shaft was not rotated and the valve was not rotated.... It appears only to only assemble one way. Wouldn't it restore its index position?

Crow must be missing the obvious!
I haven't the sharp eyes of a crow (I do often pick up shiny things for no reason though).

As a parrot of this forum I can only repeat that of all those who posted here that they disassembled the security screw portion of the EGR, I can't recall one getting back to say that they were successful in re-assembly and returning the unit to proper operation.

As I said before, I'm not sayin' it can't be done, just that there has yet to be anyone who posted the re-assembly method.

I don't make the news, I'm just reporting the news. FWIW. vic