PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic balancer/flywheel locking tool.

platinumvip
02-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Hello everyone, new to the forum so please be gentle, already found out a wealth of information on here so thank you! Based in the UK I've suffered what seems to be a common fault, harmonic balancer failure! Sheared off completely with just the flange left attached to the crank aarrrgh!! So help me if you can please people as my local dealers are struggling to, I'm looking for a way to lock the flywheel so I can remove the bolt that is holding whats left of the balancer on. My motor is a '05 416cdi running the 5 cyl 2.7 engine along with automatic gearbox, I'm aware that there is a Mercedes tool for locking the engine but I'm stuggling to obtain the part number, my local dealer has loaned me 2 locking tools but they are too small and could be for a Vito or manual box, whatever they don't fit! I'm slowly losing the will to live here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Aqua Puttana
02-05-2013, 11:34 AM
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. 50131

I did an advanced search for you from the blue bar above using the T1N section.

This should provide what you need. Good luck. vic

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12313&highlight=flywheel+tool

A Canned Add-on

There is a cost to you for my information. As payment please take the time to add your vehicle info (at least the model year) to your signature or details. That way you avoid typing in subsequent posts and we will never need to ask what model year/type you own.

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >246,000 mi. DAD” [/QUOTE]
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

[Color="Red"]I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You add the info once and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Have fun. vic

platinumvip
02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Thank you for your assistance, I've edited my profile as suggested so hope that helps in the future. As for the locking tool, the one in the file looks exactly like the one that I've been loaned by my local dealers, I've been trying to fit it where the starter motor goes, am I trying to install it in the correct place??

Aqua Puttana
02-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Thank you for your assistance, I've edited my profile as suggested so hope that helps in the future. As for the locking tool, the one in the file looks exactly like the one that I've been loaned by my local dealers, I've been trying to fit it where the starter motor goes, am I trying to install it in the correct place??
I have never actually needed to use the tool (now knocking/touching wood furiously as I type). I am but a parrot of the forums.

I mentioned one time about the lock mounting to starter position and I believe that I was corrected by either Talkinghorse43 or Autostaretx that it didn't mount there. I couldn't find that thread.

My search did reveal another style tool here:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138982#post138982

Perhaps someone who has actually needed to use the tool will chime in. Sorry I can't offer more. Good luck. vic

platinumvip
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Yeey!! Seek and you shall find! After further investigation work around the engine I found that there are 2 small but long bolts fitted to the engine, undreneath abouve the subframe near to were the gearbox mounts to the engine. remove these 2 bolts and slide the flywheel locking tool into the bellhousing of the gearbox, secure the flywheel locking tool using the bolts provided and using the holes where the 2 bolts have just been removed from! Hey presto a locked flywheel and boy does it need to be, that harmonic balancer bolt ain't arf tight!! Thank you for your assistance.

Boater
02-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Cool, glad you found a way - for my 312D I ended up taking 2 of the flywheel bolts out and drilling a piece of heavy angle bar so that I could fit 2 studs into the flywheel bolt holes (push fit not screwed, just in case they bent, and they did) and bolt it through one of the starter holes. First angle bar bent and broke, second heavier piece was fine but one of the studs bent slightly, but with a 6 foot pipe over my breaker bar I did get the bolt out. Same in reverse although the flex in the breaker bar and proximity of the roof (well kayak hanging from the roof) made it tricky to do the final angle tighten stage!

Mine has a plastic piece which you can pull out from the sump extension which gives you a view of the flywheel and seems the obvious place for a locking tool, but I couldn't find any holes in the flywheel, or sump to attach anything...????