PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: pinned or not, Bosch or ATE etc

General Disarray
02-05-2013, 01:23 AM
So I thought I was being clever after getting an estimate for new brakes; instead of the mark up on having the shop provide the pads I thought I'd buy my own at normal rates, and take them to another shop saying "I thought I could do this myself, but can you put these on". I know; brilliant right??

So at Oreilly's (only local guys we gots) the choice is for BrakeBest. They had a choice for pinned or non-pinned; and the Bosch caliper ones were $31 and the ATE caliper ones were $51. Not sure how to determine; mine T1n is a 2006 high roof 2500 158" WB. :idunno:

Amboman
02-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Take a look inside the brake pad box to see the contents i think the pins are separate and need be lubricated.

Amboman
02-05-2013, 02:30 AM
Page 38 of the parts manual which you should have, identifies Bosch & Teves Pin Kit Item 10
Not sure what the differences are

General Disarray
02-05-2013, 05:34 AM
It looks like the Europarts brakes are for Bosch calipers, which is what these BrakeBest are for too. Hope my guess work pays off. Anyone know about this brand?

Altered Sprinter
02-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Your model is Bosch Just be aware of single wheel units v's dual wheel units.
One set of disc's for the front One set for the rear.One set of pads x2 for the front one set x2 for the rear.
One set of pads x2 for the front x2 one set for the rear x2
Sensors front x2 rear x2
Richard

Altered Sprinter
02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
It looks like the Europarts brakes are for Bosch calipers, which is what these BrakeBest are for too. Hope my guess work pays off. Anyone know about this brand? Brand names U get what U pay for.. MB OEM are Textar the latter OE is half the price and last as long or longer than OEM if using Quiuck stop pads or Hi-way pads..not available in N/A

shortshort
02-07-2013, 03:28 PM
oem pads are horrible. Noisy and chew up the rotors. Almost anything aftermarket is going to make you happier. A quick call to Europarts and Steve can help you identify which parts you need. On my 04 there are at least two possibilities.

bc339
02-07-2013, 09:27 PM
If you are trying to figure out if you have Bosch or ATE (Teves), here's a brake guide: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12083

Bruce

General Disarray
02-08-2013, 04:15 AM
I got my brake pads on; $30 per set and took them in had them installed for $90 per axle. They were Bosch calipers front and back. They are way smoother than the OEM's.

I know we're supposed to be excited about Europarts-sd and all, but seriously everytime I go to that sight, and then price the parts somewhere else I save a bunch of money with the other guys; like every single time. The same pads were $56 there. My tranny fluid was $6/liter versus his $12.60. My OEM tranny dipstick was $25 shipped on ebay versus his $60 plus shiping. I saved a bunch on the exact same struts by buying them on Amazon ($45); just found the door rollers I need on ebay for $38 shipped whereas his are $77 plus $10 shipping. I'm kinda done with them actually.