PDA

View Full Version : double DIN radio in T1N

FFR5445
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Has anybody ever put a double DIN in a T1N? I was thinking it may be possible to swap the locations of the radio with switch panel that is just a little lower. Not sure if there is room for the radio but if you only had a few switches they could easily fit where the radio goes.

ECU
02-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I dug in to the issue. There is not enough depth to the switch area for the 2din. Also not quite wide enough. I eventually decided that the best way to do it would be to mount the radio somewhere in the back and use a remote.
Then after messing with these all in one devices (single din with 7" screen), I decided the original was best.
The problem I had was that you just couldn't do everything. When the backup camera is on, you have no radio audio. When in navigation, you have on board memory mp3s or radio only. When playing from bluetooth'd phone, the backup camera will cancel a phone call.
I found that a Nav system independant of the radio/phone is best. The backup camera using the Nav monitor is fine.

johnshmit
02-02-2013, 07:07 PM
I dug in to the issue. There is not enough depth to the switch area for the 2din. Also not quite wide enough. I eventually decided that the best way to do it would be to mount the radio somewhere in the back and use a remote.
Then after messing with these all in one devices (single din with 7" screen), I decided the original was best.
The problem I had was that you just couldn't do everything. When the backup camera is on, you have no radio audio. When in navigation, you have on board memory mp3s or radio only. When playing from bluetooth'd phone, the backup camera will cancel a phone call.
I found that a Nav system independant of the radio/phone is best. The backup camera using the Nav monitor is fine.

I will second this. Switching applications work well in tablets and phones, but not in vehicle environment.

Amboman
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
http://www.comicmix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mission-impossible-logo.gif

MillionMileSprinter
02-03-2013, 01:01 PM
This is only a slight hijack of this thread-
any recommendations of single DIN DVD players w/slide out screen? Not worried about bluetooth or phone or anything but regular radio/cd with a DVD player w/slide out screen.
I care about longevity, but not all the bells and whistles or about about *perfect* sound and HD image quality.
Thanks!

surlyoldbill
02-03-2013, 03:04 PM
any recommendations of single DIN DVD players w/slide out screen? Not worried about bluetooth or phone or anything but regular radio/cd with a DVD player w/slide out screen.
I care about longevity, but not all the bells and whistles or about about *perfect* sound and HD image quality.
Thanks!

A deck would be nice, but have you considered a mount for an iPad or other 10" tablet PC?
I think I'm going that direction, with audio output to my deck, and video in from a rear camera.

shortshort
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I go through a GPS every year. They just die. Garmin anyway. Tomtom seems to be holding up a little better. I can't imagine integrating one into my radio. They have cheap single DIN radios with tiny screens for a b/u cam. I would go that way.

Aqua Puttana
02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks!

There's been some past discussions about flip units. Maybe some of these links will help. vic

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6510&highlight=radio+flip
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15828&highlight=din+flip

As an aside, a nice How-to by Seek for the T1N
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248&highlight=din+flip

Colorado_Al
02-03-2013, 07:49 PM
I've got a Jensen in my VW and it has been great.
Here is the new version of what I've got:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VM9115/Jensen-VM9115.html

If you want one that does BT and pairs with a cell phone or iphone:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VM9215B/Jensen-VM9215BT.html

Boater
02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Blackberry with bluetooth visor mount speaker mic.
Ignoring that the visor mount is a nightmare if you ever need to flip the visor up and down (Scotland, winter = sun at eye level all day, on the 5 days it's out anyway. I'm sure the northern states and Canada will have the same issue) and that the sprinter visor is a million miles away, it's a great device. Used as a speaker it's too tinny for audio, but it can also stream to an FM frequency for playing through the radio.

Without modifying the vehicle stereo in any way, I can have hands free phone, mp3 player which I reckon on shuffle can go a full tank of fuel without repeating, and I could put a bigger card in, and sat nav (I have wisepilot subscription but I'm told google maps works well for free) all played through the vehicle sound system and with the phone always taking priority and silencing the other apps when you have a call on. I admit switching apps is not that easy, but I tend to start the mp3 player on shuffle and then switch back to the satnav for the rest of the trip, which normally stops the keypad/screen locking er, but sometimes forgets - now typing your password in whilst driving along should never be attempted. Even if it does lock and turn the screen off the app still brings up the mapping when you come up to a somewhere you need to turn or whatever.

Now the van stereo has a input jack socket so I can plug a lead into the BB headphone socket to avoid using the FM transmitter for playing audio and sat nav, but BB is smart enough to silence the apps playong thorugh the headphone socket and use the speaker mic for phone calls. I can't remember if I get the phone audio through the stereo or the speaker mic though - even though hands free is legal I still prefer not to make calls whilst driving so I'm not as familiar with that part :D:

It's good although far from perfect and I do have a totally separate reversing camera (went for a 7" HD monitor on that), but I really like that I can use the BB for everything else and move it from the car the the van and have it all just work the same.

ECU
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
The #1 problem I have with using the phone is volume. The output of the phone is barely acceptable and podcasts tend to be recorded quite low. The standard radio DOES have an aux input.

surlyoldbill
02-04-2013, 03:55 PM
The #1 problem I have with using the phone is volume. The output of the phone is barely acceptable and podcasts tend to be recorded quite low. The standard radio DOES have an aux input.

I picked up a Magic Jack at Grocery Outlet for $2. It broadcasts through your radio at a preset FM station. It works great! Except when there is a station broadcasting on same channel...

I have an AUX input, I'll splice something together that will work with that and still have a mic.

Radio deck alert: Target has a Sony deck that has USB/SD/AUX inputs, and plays mp3 discs, for $105.

israndy
02-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I am looking at the JVC KD-AXV77:

It's got the big display that will show two screens at once in a T1N dash. Gonna order it when the RV comes back from the body shop, sort of a Welcome Home present.

If anyone has experience with this model, let me know, it's $300 so hate to make a mistake.

-Randy

georgetg
07-11-2013, 06:06 AM
I am looking at the JVC KD-AXV77:

It's got the big display that will show two screens at once in a T1N dash. Gonna order it when the RV comes back from the body shop, sort of a Welcome Home present.

If anyone has experience with this model, let me know, it's $300 so hate to make a mistake.

-Randy

Well, its been a while but that's a great head unit...
I had the AVX-40 in my Sprinter and always wished for the larger screen of the 77

Backup Camera picture quality with the Kenwood Cmos 310 on the JVC display is superior to my 2013 Chevy Volt...

Cheers
George