PDA

View Full Version : Grill Guard finally arrived and installed

1reddog48
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
In an never ending search to add farkles to our van, I decided to locate a deerslayer. After much searching, I found this one. Got it installed just today, I really like the looks.

http://http://photos.imageevent.com/reddog/2006sprinter/websize/P1050583.JPG

Doug in Gunnison

icarus
02-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Don't count on it to save you from a deer... Or moose! I have one, and it might save a few bucks from a glancing blow (no pun intended) but a full on full speed hit all bets are off. I did $24 worth of damage to my Sprinter hitting a deer, and there are several members who have totaled theirs!

Drive carefully, keep your eyes open, use good lights and...slow down.

Icarus

sailquik
02-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Doug in Gunnison,
Where did you purchase your grille guard or was it a custom build?
icarus......that was $24k ($24,000.00) right?
I've hit 2 deer.....2006 was a total @ 50 mph.....2011 was going to be > $12k and about a month and a half to get the parts.
So... I traded the 2011 wreck in on a 2012...cost about the same as the repair and I drove it home 2 days after hitting the deer.
Roger

1reddog48
02-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Roger, It came from Toughcountry, out of Texas
http://www.toughcountry.com/
Nice unit. Seems to be well build and bolted up nicely.

Icarus, I don't expect it to eliminate the probability of damage to the rig, just lessen the blow (maybe) and keep the animals out of the windshield.

Doug

icarus
02-01-2013, 10:42 PM
My $24k came from ~$12k in body damage, including both fenders, hood, grill, radiator, intercooler, headlights, wind screen etc. Then when they started it up, the engine seized because the oil filter housing had been sheared off! New, in a crate engine from water pump to turbo,, another ~$12K!

My insurance was great, albeit not happy with the second turn of events! Cost me $50 from my comp deductible. If it a choice between the deer and a tree, hit the damn deer, as that is an act if god. If you swerve to miss the deer and hit the tree it comes out of my collision, with $1k delectable.

Icarus

mawsea
02-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Nice rig!

shortshort
02-02-2013, 04:18 AM
They sure have pristine beaches in gunnison

saddledoggy
02-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Roger, It came from Toughcountry, out of Texas
http://www.toughcountry.com/
Nice unit. Seems to be well build and bolted up nicely.

Icarus, I don't expect it to eliminate the probability of damage to the rig, just lessen the blow (maybe) and keep the animals out of the windshield.

Doug

Looks great! Don't forget the deer whistles though... : )

geoffs
02-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Looks great! Don't forget the deer whistles though... : )

Are these like duck lures but for deer?

icarus
02-02-2013, 03:24 PM
My experince driving hundreds of thousands of miles in deer country, is that deer whistles are less than useless. What the whistles seem to do is make the deer alert to something, and ergo even more jumpy, even more unpredictable.

If the whistles caused the deer to bound out of the browse away from the road, then there might be a case for them. The reality is the dear are just as likely to bound onto the road as away from it. I have see (multiple) cases if deer bounding onto the road from opposite sides at the same time, each thinking he was going in the safe direction, when in fact neither was.

The answer is pay attention, slow down, use good lights, and understand a bit of deer behavior to predict when they are likely to be afoot.

Icarus

1reddog48
02-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I tend to agree with Icarus. I think the whistles make the deer even more jittery. The PIAA's went on the first weekend we owned the van.
Our bigger rig has a few extra lights as well:

http://photos.imageevent.com/reddog/1990thomasbuiltbusdogbus/large/P1010750.JPG

I like to see down the road a little to be on the safe side. And yes, we do have some fine white sand beaches here in Gunni, but the sand seems to stay a little cold....
D@8K'

maxextz
02-04-2013, 10:35 PM
looks very nice:thumbup:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=50043&stc=1&d=1359759630

ok is that snow or sand????:thinking:

1reddog48
02-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Snow...unfortunately, snow. D@8K'

skill3
02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Looks great! I'm curious, how much did it cost?
Thanks

1reddog48
02-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Burned up the better part of $800 by the time it was shipped and all. I have made several bumper/grill guard setups in the past, but wanted on that fit the contours of the van. Without a tubing bender there would be no way I could have done any better, probably not as good.
It fit up well and overall I'm very happy with the product.
D@8K'

icarus
02-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I THINK this is the one I got, just under $300 all in shipped. Very good fit and finish, easy install.

http://www.carid.com/2008-dodge-sprinter-grill-guards/

Actually, this isn't right either, as the one I got (I think it is a steel craft) has a very nice step feature between the guards, which makes servicing very easy. (with a strip of no slip tape applied!)

You can see it in post #2 in this thread, if you blow the picture up a bit.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18662

skill3
02-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Does anyone make one for a 2005/2006?

1reddog48
02-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Us T1N guys have fewer options (which is the forum we are in...right?? I like input, but it doesn't help if it won't fit my van). The one I have will fit '06es, and it is the only one I have found thus far. I have to think there are more out there, but I couldn't find 'em....:bash:
D@8K'

Boater
02-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Deer are a big concern for me when I visit my parents in the winter, the Sprinter headlights are better than the car but even so they are damn hard to see.

Do people generally think that these kind of guards really help on something the shape of a sprinter? The front end looks great for rolling a deer all the way up to the windscreen especially if the guard hits it's legs out fast enough - or am I just being paranoid. On the school bus they are definitely great, I'm just not sure about the sprinter.

Of course it is entirely academic for me - UK(Europe) has gone all pedestrian friendly and banned all new front bars unless they are proven to cause less injury than the regular front end of the vehicle would.....
I bet I can have a snowplough though, some council vans seem to have them :D:

1reddog48
02-06-2013, 02:16 AM
To be totally frank, I do stuff like this as much for cosmetics as for function. :rad:
I know that a deer (or elk up here) strike is a real roll of the dice. I have seen MORE damage done from a wildlife strike that hits a grille guard that would have been sustained from the same hit without the guard. It's all according to the law of averages...
I'll take my chance with a guard. With cautious driving habits during high risk seasons/times, I think a good, solid, well mounted guard is a plus. JMO...
As far as pedestrians go, they are at such a disadvantage when dealing with a automobile, I can't imagine that having a guard on a vehicle puts their chances of significant injury much higher than without. I never get into a bar fight with the biggest guy in the place. And even so, I still usually lose.:crazy:
None of us drive Sprinters because we want to be mainstream, so mainstream thought is not something I spend much time entertaining...
D@8K'

icarus
02-06-2013, 02:27 AM
I agree that it is a crap shoot. I figured that in the accident I had, I might have saved e radiator and intercooler, and maybe still lost the fenders and headlights, or at least one of them. The idea of trying to limit the damage so that I could at the very least drive the wreck would be a plus.

That said, enough impact and all bets are off, a small deer or pronghorn and maybe you win. full size buck or Elk or Moose and everyone loses!

Icarus

PS. I like the look as well, plus it makes for nice work step, and a great mount for my Hella driving ights.

I

hulagun
02-06-2013, 07:23 AM
In an never ending search to add farkles to our van, I decided to locate a deerslayer. After much searching, I found this one. Got it installed just today, I really like the looks.

It looks great, the whole van does. :bow: And, please... list all your farkles!

Boater
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
PS. I like the look as well, plus it makes for nice work step, and a great mount for my Hella driving ights.

I

Now that would be a massive bonus for me, pre-2000 T1Ns don't have the steps in the bumper and standing on the tyre doesn't let me reach the whole windscreen.....

It's only illegal to sell them here and the van is old enough to claim it was fitted before the change in law, but how to buy something that can't be sold...???? I could put a step ladder in the van I suppose :laughing:

1reddog48
02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Really not so many farkles, or at least not so far. The list is something like:

Mercedes badge conversion
"Sprinter" front carpet mat
1000W inverter wired to factory seat pedestal power port
Toyo LT 225/75R16 WLT1 winter tires on black wheels w/trim rings
"Heater Booster runs off a switch" mod
Factory Land Rover roof rack modded to fit the Sprinter
Tough Country Grill guard w/PIAA driving lights
Fantastic Fan remote control roof vent
Deka AGM battery
elevated bed in the way back

I want to add a aux battery (Optima yellow top) with a disconnect under the co-pilot seat, but have yet to decide if I want to lose the storage space.
Also trying to figure out an aux fuel cell, even if it just transfers to the main tank.

That's about it, not so much, but enough to make it handy for our use and the dogs like it.
D@8K'

Turbo John
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Us T1N guys have fewer options (which is the forum we are in...right?? I like input, but it doesn't help if it won't fit my van). The one I have will fit '06es, and it is the only one I have found thus far. I have to think there are more out there, but I couldn't find 'em....:bash:
D@8K'

who makes a grill guard for 03-06?

1reddog48
02-09-2013, 02:51 AM
I got it from ToughCountry in Texas

Turbo John
02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
I got it from ToughCountry in Texas

I must not have paid attention.......I thought yours was a 2007 and up

1reddog48
02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Decided to build a jerry can rack. Mounted it similar to the rear door mounted spare tire carriers. Came out pretty decent and seems super sturdy:

http://photos.imageevent.com/reddog/2006sprinter/websize/P1050630.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/reddog/2006sprinter/websize/P1050629.JPG

A few more pics here:
http://ImageEvent.com/reddog/2006sprinter

1cylshort
02-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Nice fuel can carrier.

Did you do anything to keep the door from swinging open and mashing the side?

Did you just drill thru the hinges to bolt / mount the carrier?

1reddog48
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
I don't have the cargo (double jointed) hinges, so my door won't swing far enough to hit the side. My hinges already had holes in them.
Thanks for the props, I think it looks good too.

hulagun
02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Looks good, Doug. I had the same idea. But I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it. Mainly I have other priorities so it hasn't been front of mind.

Positives
- looks macho
- no spills in van
- no fumes in the van (fumes have not yet been a problem)
- saves some space
- nicer for sleeping in van

Negatives
- attractive to thieves
- liable to rear collision
- may obscure rear visibility
- harder to wash the van

Some of my negatives list can be mitigated, at extra expense.

1reddog48
02-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Yeah, always gonna be some downsides to any add-on. Luckily, we live in a VERY low crime/theft area. I figured the cans are higher than most rear end impacts would be and I like them outside. The way mine are mounted really don't impair vision out of the window.
I have to admit, it was the cool appearance factor that drove me to the project, just how I'm wired...:crazy:

hulagun
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Doug,
Your van looks right to my eye. Hope mine looks as "utilitarian cool" someday, although I'll get there my own way. They won't be twins!, I promise... maybe siblings tho! :cheers:
Ivan

1reddog48
02-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Ivan,
Thanks again for the for the compliments. Feel free to copy/improve on/be inspired by anything you see on mine, nice to know others can see what I'm working toward and think it's cool.
Not to get flagged for straying form the thread, but cool bike in your avatar, Triumph...??
I have a couple bikes as well as the Sprinter. I guess great minds think alike.
Back on the thread, I think I have found a tank to install as a transfer tank for added range. I did a similar setup on our big bus that pumps into the vent hose of the main tank once the main is near empty. Anyone heard of doing this? Any issues with emission control and possible vacuum vapor recovery CEL's getting triggered??

hulagun
02-28-2013, 03:37 AM
Hey Doug,

Yep I have a couple old Triumphs, old Ducatis, old Hondas and some little Italian Giro bikes no one ever heard of. oh yeah and a Buell for everyday riding. Funny, I was thinking that those tie down straps on your jerry cans look a lot like the shipping ones that secure new BMW motorcycles inside their shipping crate.

Regards the transfer tank, another great idea, and truly deserves it's own thread.

Ivan

Stopbreakindown
04-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Well, Tough country decided to discontinue this model of brush guard that the OP has for the T1Ns (pre-07).

Had one on order with a local dealer and they called me today and said that they are no longer made, just 07'+ model years now. Bummer. Anyone know of any other options in the $600-$800 range.

1reddog48
04-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Since no one had one, I was able to get mine direct from Tough Country. It sounded like they were willing to make on on order. You might try calling them direct if you have not already done so.

mrgarciainc
04-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Van looks great. I like the wheels, did you paint them yourself?

1reddog48
04-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I did paint them myself. Cleaned them up well, primed and painted with Krylon, satin black. I've washed them about 5 times so far at the car wash and the paint is holding well. I have considered having them powder coated, possibly blue, but for now the black works for me. :bounce:

1reddog48
04-21-2013, 03:38 PM
I decided to add the Timbren bump stops to the front of the van. Easy install, and despite other claims, they did raise the front of my van about 1/2 inch. Also improved ride and handling. The raises my be due to the inherent low front of my 118. Certainly not a "lift kit" or any real significance, but a good addition for my rig.

hulagun
04-21-2013, 04:34 PM
I decided to add the Timbren bump stops to the front of the van. Easy install, and despite other claims, they did raise the front of my van about 1/2 inch. Also improved ride and handling. The raises my be due to the inherent low front of my 118. Certainly not a "lift kit" or any real significance, but a good addition for my rig.

" the Timbren bump stops "???? :thinking:

sailquik
04-21-2013, 04:55 PM
hulagun,
The Timbren Aenon Rubber Springs replace the stock bump stops.
They are normally not in contact with the stock stops unless you are loaded, then they
add weight carrying capacity and improved ride characteristics.
Basically you are replacing hard rubber bump stops with progressive rate rubber springs.
Here's a link.....click on any of the part numbers to see the actual configuration of the kit and the
Aenon Spring itself.
http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/mercedes.htm
Had them on my Mitsubishi Fuso 4x4 box truck and they really work nicely!
The MF FG 639 4x4 had the suspension sophistication of a Conestoga wagon, the Timbren kits front and rear made it
ride so much better!
Roger

1reddog48
04-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the excellent explanation Roger.
While in design, I agree that they are not intended to make contact unless loads make the suspension sag, and then they they "spring" into action. (Sorry, couldn't resist...)
But like I said, on my 118, they do make contact under normal load (of course, keep in mind that I have 100# of deerslayer out front). I actually shimmed mine out an additional 1/4" for a little more preload.
I checked my spring for it's condition before I went forward on the Timbrens. I find the ride improved with the Timbrens without being harsh.
FWIW

surlyoldbill
04-21-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't have the cargo (double jointed) hinges, so my door won't swing far enough to hit the side. My hinges already had holes in them.
Thanks for the props, I think it looks good too.

That looks great. Have you considered fabricating more and selling them as a little cottage industry?

1reddog48
04-21-2013, 07:07 PM
I did think about it. I also thought about getting Tough Country to make up a few more grille guards, putting together a kit to do the "heater booster runs off a switch" mod and building some roof racks. But there are folks out there (and on this forum) that do that for a living and trying to do all that would cut into my recreation time, which is already pretty darn limited. :cheers:

hayduke
12-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Could you repost the pics of the gerrycan rack? The link seems to be gone

1reddog48
12-01-2014, 05:15 PM
I deleted that album. I'll look and see if I can find a pic, but I have my doubts.....

kjg912
12-02-2014, 12:47 AM
My '04 had a Bull-Guard on it when I purchased it over two years ago, do not know the manufacturer. One item with low hanging fixtures on the front or rear is that I am more prone to scraping the bottom of them when off-pavement (I actually got stuck once and had to jack-up and dig out!) I do like something on the front as my brother has hit 3-4 deer with his deerslayer (on a Ford truck) without doing any damage - not even to the guard! My mantra is that if I am going to hit something, I am going to hit it dead center on the bull guard as there is no protection near the lights and I only dodge things if I know I can safely do so! (or to avoid a head-on with another vehicle - been there, done that with someone asleep at the wheel.) If you look at bull guards or deerslayers, see how low they hang below the bumper and vehicle, as some may have a better bottom profile than others, but it seems that there are currently few options for older Sprinters anyways!

surlyoldbill
12-02-2014, 01:10 AM

merman
07-10-2017, 08:04 PM
tuff country doesn't make that guard anymore.........anyone else?

merman
07-10-2017, 11:02 PM
They have discontinued that for the T1N.....I have suggested they make more. I would buy one.

merman
07-10-2017, 11:03 PM
where can I find one?

JeffMUT
08-13-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't see these on the toughcountry website. What was the price of this unit? I like the look.

JeffMUT
08-15-2017, 03:22 PM
Tough Country confirmed that these are no longer available. The jigs are also gone from previous production, so anything for an older or newer style Sprinter would be custom ($100/hour).

monday
10-29-2017, 04:05 PM
So this seems like a decent deerslayer.

https://www.inlad.com/ex-guard-mercedes-sprinter-grill-guard-ex-cv-25sp1

And I'm keen on it but have been teased about it looking bad. to me it does not seem any horsey-er than some of the full bumper replacements. But I would love to see some better pics - anybody have one??

Unlike some grill guards - this is frame mounted. They also are marketing it as protection against animal strikes. Additionally it has sufficient height to keep Bambi off the radiator.

Price ain't bad either.

Thoughts?

Rickpcmp3
10-29-2017, 06:05 PM
Thoughts?

Looks like it's for NCV3, not a T1N