PDA

View Full Version : MB says I must go to a Dodge dealer for recall

harrysalit
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
HI,
I went to Penske MB for some sliding door work and they were happy to take $170/hr for that work but when I asked the advisor about Emission Recall H44 for reprogram ECM-EGR system, he said I must take it to a Dodge dealer.
Does this sound correct? It was sold by Dodge in 2008.
Harry

MillionMileSprinter
01-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Yes, this is normal. My van was originally sold as a Freighliner (although I have swaped out the grill for an MB grill) and I have to get my intake manifold recall work done at a Freighliner Shop. The MB dealership that is extremely friendly to Sprinters where Sprinterfest East is held kindly refused to do the recall work.
There is a thread here on the Forum for dealerships and people's experiences with them. Check it out and find the nearest Dodge Dealership that is recommended.
Good luck.

NBB
01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
What did you have done to your sliding door?

Mine seems loose in the upper rear pin/latch connection. The pin is quite worn, and the door rattles.

gary 32
01-30-2013, 05:10 PM
HI,
I went to Penske MB for some sliding door work and they were happy to take $170/hr for that work but when I asked the advisor about Emission Recall H44 for reprogram ECM-EGR system, he said I must take it to a Dodge dealer.
Does this sound correct? It was sold by Dodge in 2008.
Harry

That's true Harry, sold as a Dodge, warranty serviced as a Dodge (in CA).
I live in Santa Monica, I use Dependable Dodge in Canoga Park, they are great with my Sprinter, I would use them for everything and skip Penske.

jdcaples
01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
This thread has recall information:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9594

Here is an example of an actual MB dealership document - found on their dealership service computer system - providing guidance about recall work on pre-2010 Sprinters in the US and Canada:

Everything but the information highlighted in yellow, is the same as it was when Daimler-Chrysler issued the recall in the first place.... it even has its own MB document number.

Here is a snippet from the original bulletin.

An MB dealership can perform this upgrade, but they'd never get money out of MB USA, LLC for the work; the dealership would eat the cost of labor.

Also, some States forbid MB from working on Freightliner or Dodge branded products, forbid Freightliner from working on MB or Dodge branded products... you get the point.

-Jon

jdcaples
01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
One more thing: the H44 recall can be done by any Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge shop, even if they never sold Sprinters.

I'm not saying they will do it, or are obligated to do it, but if they all have the required scan tool.

They all have access to DealerCONNECT for service updates/instructions. They can follow the H44 recall instructions for 2007 and 2008 Sprinters (body style "VB").

It's like 15 minutes of work after their Microsoft Windows computer starts up and the scan tool software loads and connects to the vehicle, scans it for all 20-something control modules and prompts the tech to take an action... call it an hour :)

-Jon

harrysalit
01-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I will try Dependabe Dodge.

The Penske MB adviser confirmed that he would not get paid if he did the recall testing.
How important is it to have the recall items checked? I am the second owner, 6 months now, it runs fine, gets good fuel mileage, no loss of power. 10,600 miles.

This sliding door problem was that the door would not stay in the open position when facing down hill. The catch was not working. Yesterday they gave me a $800 estimate to replace the chain & cable. Today they found that the cable & chain were not broken, it had just come of the retainer(?) But if they had to replace these items it would require the removal of the kitchen counter, cabinets & flooring!!! This was not in the original estime & they would not do this kind of work. Ended up charging me $260 for the cable hook up, with a warning not to slam the slider!!:yell:

This is my second sliding door problem. In the first month the door closing sensor failed & dash screen would say door is open. And the remote would not lock the doors. This was a $600 fix. Am I just unlucky, I have not read about others having these problems? :cry:
Harry

jdcaples
01-31-2013, 12:28 AM
<snip>
How important is it to have the recall items checked? I am the second owner, 6 months now, it runs fine, gets good fuel mileage, no loss of power. 10,600 miles.
<snip>

It's really up to you. It's your van. There's no law that says you have to have it done.

Here's where the community talked about it when we learned of the recall.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5592

I think it helps extend the life of the EGR valve, keeps it more free of soot and able to actuate longer before it needs cleaning and/or replacement, but I don't know that the collective community experience is "proof."

-Jon

PS: the first time you have it checked at a dealership, they'll probably do it anyway, so you could wait until it actually becomes a problem, or you have some other issue that requires a dealership scan tool.

Düsseldorfer
02-01-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm not clear on how your Sprinter has gone 4 years without having the H44 implemented at some point. Are you certain that it was not done at an early dealer visit? If your van ever saw the inside of a Dodge dealership, it would seem unlikely that it escaped without the software update.

jdcaples
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm not clear on how your Sprinter has gone 4 years without having the H44 implemented at some point. Are you certain that it was not done at an early dealer visit? If your van ever saw the inside of a Dodge dealership, it would seem unlikely that it escaped without the software update.

harrysalit wrote:

<snip> I am the second owner, 6 months now, it runs fine, gets good fuel mileage, no loss of power. 10,600 miles.

The van wasn't used much. The first owner probably tossed the recall notice and never had a good reason to take a trip to a dealership.

-Jon

harrysalit
02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Hi Jon & Dusseldorfer,
I do have an MB of Boerne invoice from Jan 2012, by the previous owner for the "A" service.
At the bottom of the invoice the customer was advised to take it to a Dodge dealer for the ECM EGR campaign. I think this was the first time at a dealer & it was at 5309 miles.
I purchased it in June 2012 with 5700 miles on it so my guess is it has never been to a Dodge dealer.
I wish I had known about Dependable Dodge in Canoga Park before I went to Penske. Could have this & the slider door repaired in one place. This dealer is not listed here or the yahhoo group sources.
Thank you all,
Harry

CJPJ
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm not clear on how your Sprinter has gone 4 years without having the H44 implemented at some point. Are you certain that it was not done at an early dealer visit? If your van ever saw the inside of a Dodge dealership, it would seem unlikely that it escaped without the software update.[ this Label was posted under the Sprinter hood when Dodge preformed the H 44 ] 50027

gary 32
02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I wish I had known about Dependable Dodge in Canoga Park before I went to Penske. Could have this & the slider door repaired in one place. This dealer is not listed here or the yahhoo group sources.
Thank you all,
Harry

Sorry Harry,
I just fixed that here, please add you experience. Gary

Düsseldorfer
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I think this was the first time at a dealer & it was at 5309 miles.
I purchased it in June 2012 with 5700 miles on it so my guess is it has never been to a Dodge dealer.

Ah soooo.... Well, good luck, Harry.

And by the way, mine's had the software update, but I didn't get the nifty sticker the other guy posted a pic of. (Just a note for posterity.)

jdcaples
02-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Ah soooo.... Well, good luck, Harry.

And by the way, mine's had the software update, but I didn't get the nifty sticker the other guy posted a pic of. (Just a note for posterity.)

I did. I'm not taking a picture of it, though. Everyone will just have to believe me. I know, it's a leap of faith. Nothing's free. Believing me will cost everyone some blind faith or some consternation that proving it will involve, the functional equivalency of stalking me.

-Jon

CJPJ
02-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Curiously, the WK version's EGR valve utilizes a linear motion plunger and tulip valve, very similar to the 612 version EGR valve. The VB Sprinter version is identical in design to the radial actuated vane valve of the 647.

Furthermore the VB EGR system features EGR cooler bypass capabilities with a complex position sensor and temp sensor design. Very different approaches.

Regarding concerns of the wording, "ECM may not actuate the EGR valve sufficiently to prevent soot accumulation", I suspect this applies to movement of the EGR's vane and intensity of possible self-cleaning cycles, not necessarily the actual quantities of exhaust gas metered.

The 647 EGR valve performs a post engine shut-off series of full motion cleaning cycles to prevent soot build-up on its vane actuator.This cleaning cycle is quite audible after shut down.It will be interesting to compare any post shut down EGR valve "music" before and after the 642 flashing. Doktor A

Yes!... the H44 increased the number of cleaning cycles from the stock setting of one...:idunno: cycle, to four... or 44, :thinking:...which ever's the most...:smilewink:..!

harrysalit
05-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Two times I went to Dependable Dodge, Canoga Park, CA with CEL light and P2457 code. Both times they said it was nothing and erased the codes.
That is Dependable?
Harry