PDA

View Full Version : First gear problems. Sprinter jumps out of 1st gear

wookie_73
01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi

My Sprinter has started jumping out of 1st gear occasionally. You will put it into gear and go to pull away and it will jump out.

After searching this form the general consensus of the answers I found was it could either be the syncro on 1st gear of the cables to the gear shift.

My question is how can I tell which of these is the problem?
Obviously I am hoping it is the cables as I am sure the syncro will be harder to change.

If there is anything else that someone thinks it may be let me know.

Thanks in advance for your answers Dave
:cheers:

Eric Experience
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Dave.
It is not your sincro, that will not make it jump. What you need to do is test your selector rod for grit inside the dust shield. I have described this test several time. have a search. Eric.

autostaretx
01-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I agree, it's not the syncro... the syncro is (usually) a conical-shaped soft metal ring loosely coupled to the real gear. Its job is to help align the teeth of the moving gears that couples the motor's gear to the driven output shaft.
Once you're fully "engaged" the syncro is floating free (i.e. not helping) the actual power-transmitting gears.

Pop-outs usually happen if the knob-to-shifter linkages are not fully seating into their proper 1st/2nd/3rd... spots
..just like Eric said.

--dick