PDA

View Full Version : Keypad for keyless entry

jjrubino
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Has anyone installed a keypad for keyless entry on a Sprinter. We use ours for many outdoor activities where taking a key is not convenient (beach, running, etc) and a keypad such as the one pictured (from my Ford Explorer, pictured) would be a great help.

sterling
01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
no but I absolutely love mine on my Ford F150...I didnt realize they were made via after-market.

david_42
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Haven't done it either, but you might find this thread useful, Remote Key mod (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21410). It shows where to tap into the remote door control system.

skydiver007
01-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Yes I have done it and here is an example of the keypad, there are others.

http://www.keyless.com/vehiclekeyless.htm

The above link to the remote key mod is me. You interface the keypad to the same wires I used for my rf remote system.

jjrubino
01-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info. That thread was helpful in that I now know I simply have to live with no keypad and poor keyless remote performance.

socalsupermoto
01-31-2013, 11:56 PM
It would be super cool if they made one that was wireless, had a battery, and you just stuck it on your car. Ie like a stickon keyless remote with a keypad. This is what I need for surfing!

jjrubino
02-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Well, if you get a Ford product they will sell you one that just sticks on. I have had one on my Explorer since 2006 and my F250 since 2008 with the original batteries.

surlyoldbill
02-01-2013, 01:54 AM
At your local hardware store, they sell a key lockbox like realtors use, one design is a bolt-on (from the inside). $30
Mount it on the chassis under your van. It sure beats one of those magnetic "hide-a-key" things.
A tip: don't lock your microchipped key in it, have a plain key cut that just opens the door locks. Hide your microchipped key in the van.

When I go on trail runs or mountain biking or something, I worry about losing the expensive microchipped key (and NOT being able to drive home). I haven't installed what I mentioned above, but I do have a plain cut key that I use.

d_bertko
02-01-2013, 02:02 AM
+1 on using a plain key to get in.

Works for whitewater.

socalsupermoto
02-01-2013, 02:17 AM
+1 on using a plain key to get in.

Works for whitewater.

Good news is they gave me like 5 microchip keys. but thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even realize i could have a standard key cut. I'll do that and leave it in my wetsuit all the time. Thanks for the suggestions.

surlyoldbill
02-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Good news is they gave me like 5 microchip keys. but thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even realize i could have a standard key cut. I'll do that and leave it in my wetsuit all the time. Thanks for the suggestions.

You won't be able to start the van, but it will manually open the door locks. And lock them. I think mine were $3 each, have the key guy look at Mercedes key blanks, not Dodge.

jjrubino
02-01-2013, 07:36 PM
I do use the non-chipped keys for hiding around the van. I have thought about the lock-box. The keypad is just so convenient. Thanks.

red_johnny
02-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Yes I have done it and here is an example of the keypad, there are others.

http://www.keyless.com/vehiclekeyless.htm

The above link to the remote key mod is me. You interface the keypad to the same wires I used for my rf remote system.

I have the AKE-5 Series on my sprinter. Works great to lock and unlock it.

WPJ
02-11-2013, 01:55 AM
I have the AKE-5 Series on my sprinter. Works great to lock and unlock it.

Red Johnny what was the cost of the unit?