ASR Traction control is sure nice in the snow!

sailquik

Just flew back to the east coast from sunny (well rainy a bit as well) warm San Diego yesterday.
Arrived to find the temperature at 26 deg. F and light snow.
Sprinter was in the ORF long term parking lot.
When I got to my Sprinter, it had about 6" of new snow on the top and about 4" of snow all around in the parking lot.
I have to say that the Sprinter 3500/ 170" wb with ASR (Anti-Skid Recovery/traction control) and new Michelin LTX MS2 tires (3800 miles on a new Sprinter with new tires) was a joy to drive in slightly sub freezing temps with light snow everywhere.
Cars were spun out on just about every on/off ramp on the interstate. Cars in the median, and in the ditches all over the place.
I drove ~150 miles in the dark with the Sprinter in full control the whole way. I did slip the front tires once when stopping at a traffic light.
I was able to move to the other lane through the little berms that build up between the lanes quite easily. The only thing going any faster than I was were AWD/4WD vehicles and I passed plenty of them.
I did the Wright Brothers twin bridge in 30 deg. F temps and they seem to have forgotten to salt or treat the roadway on the south/east bound bridge.
The Sprinter skated around very slightly @ 50 mph but the traction control straightened it out almost transparently.
While ASR has not always been my fav feature of Sprinters, last night the ASR really was impressive.
Roger

Top Bottom