PDA

View Full Version : changed engines now no start

hotrodharley
01-25-2013, 06:59 PM
have a 2005 sprinter 2500;;engine took crap so got a usaed engine from a yard;;was test run before taking out of wreck;;installed it..was told from shop got eng from that had to be reprogramed after changing engines..call a dealership and they said didn't need it;;
if i turn key on/off 4 or 5 times then it will try to start but won't..i pulled fuel line off at filter[inlet side] and turn key on/off..had good fuel flow for 3 seconds or so each time..took hose off outlet side filter and same thing;;;i have rechecked everything and all pluged in..i did see on a switch[??]on pass side of pump and on hose coming from air cleaner box where both same..i switched them and still same...all lights on dash seems ok...where do i go from here?have no scanner..need help bad..been on this van for 3 weeks now trying to start..

dodger413
01-25-2013, 07:40 PM
where are you and the van located ??

hotrodharley
01-25-2013, 08:08 PM
where are you and the van located ??

in Elko Nv.

autostaretx
01-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Call Doktor Andy Bittenbinder in (near) Pittsburgh...
The Doktor A Sprinter Hotline is 412-366-6165.

--dick

hotrodharley
01-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Got sprintere started;;found the switch[or sensor] on rear of fuel rail wasn't completely pluged in all the way.........now [2] prob. Noticed crankshaft ballancer on front was badly wrooblying...[bent i'm guessing]the eng i took out has a year old one on it..so going exchange them..can not get crank bolt broke loose...before i break it by going wrong way...is it right or left handed theards???

Boater
01-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Normal thread, I needed a 6 foot pipe over my breaker bar to slacken mine, after I had made a device to lock the flywheel.

Check the 2 harmonic balancers are the same, there are at least 3 different types for my engine and they use different bolts.
You also might want to check out the threads here about key failures in case they apply to your engine.

EZoilburner
01-27-2013, 02:52 PM
How about a impact wrench? I'm guessing bc You don't want to move all that is in front of it.

hotrodharley
01-28-2013, 05:25 PM
OK;;;;got van running;;found plug-in on rear of fuel rail not pluged in good;;;has started up serval times[have drove yet]checking for leaks and all..put into gear yesterday and won't engage in gear..tried few times and got to engage but acting as low on trans fluid[no dip stick to check]i changed filter while changing engine and measured what drained out to put same amount back into it;;;did have trans line leaking pretty bad[loose]and lost some fluid on ground when had eng out and converter on bench...i started van just now..started up real good..added 2 more qts trans fluid...came in house to let it warm up to test drive..went out 30 to 45mints later and it was not running..try to restart with no luck..now i din't hear pump in tank run for few seconds like i did when van would start....WHAT HAPPEN?CHECKED ALL FUSES UNDER STEERING AND UNDER DRIVER SEAT..WHERE DO I GO NOW??? did find had no power on either side of fuse #9 under seat[relay term "d"]could this be it and if so what fixes it?would it be a relay and what relay would it be?

autostaretx
01-28-2013, 09:13 PM
.added 2 more qts trans fluid
Blind? Without a dipstick?

I'd look to see if tranny oil was wicked up the wiring harness to do interesting things to the TCM module under the driver's seat...
(that may be an unlikely cause, but similar things have happened to many...)

fuse #9 under seat[relay term "d"

Did you check the fuses on the battery's positive post?

Terminal "D" is the output of the generator, or (colloquially incorrect) the "engine running" feed.

What color wires are on "fuse 9"? On my 2005 Sprinter, position 9 is the Central Locking System 25 amp fuse.

In the 2006 Service manual, "fuse 9" is a 15 amp fuse (Red/Yellow in, Red/Yel/White out) that's fed from Relay 1 in the Relay Block (yes, it's the "D+" circuit) and goes on to power the daytime running lights (and perhaps lots of other things)
(i don't have DRLs)

--dick

hotrodharley
01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Blind? Without a dipstick?

I'd look to see if tranny oil was wicked up the wiring harness to do interesting things to the TCM module under the driver's seat...
(that may be an unlikely cause, but similar things have happened to many...)

Did you check the fuses on the battery's positive post?

Terminal "D" is the output of the generator, or (colloquially incorrect) the "engine running" feed.

What color wires are on "fuse 9"? On my 2005 Sprinter, position 9 is the Central Locking System 25 amp fuse.

In the 2006 Service manual, "fuse 9" is a 15 amp fuse (Red/Yellow in, Red/Yel/White out) that's fed from Relay 1 in the Relay Block (yes, it's the "D+" circuit) and goes on to power the daytime running lights (and perhaps lots of other things)
(i don't have DRLs)

--dick

are you saying if i overfill trans it will shut engine down?i put 2 qts in trans first then it started up but while warming up it died;;where is the fuse on + battery post..are they under the square plasic box that bolts to + battery cable?

Aqua Puttana
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
are you saying if i overfill trans it will shut engine down?
I have never heard of that being a feature/problem. The engine oil level is monitored (not pressure). There is no transmission fluid level monitor mention which I have ever come across.

i put 2 qts in trans first ...
If you measured what you took out, replaced that amount, and then added 2 quarts... 2 quarts has likely put to an overfilled level.

People have used light duty spring coil sewer snakes, aircraft cable, speedometer cable, etc. for emergency measuring of tranny fluid. There are threads about DIY dipsticks.

This is a recent thread which may prvide some direction.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14804

Good luck. vic

autostaretx
01-28-2013, 11:12 PM
where is the fuse on + battery post..are they under the square plasic box that bolts to + battery cable?
Yes.

(image courtesy of Vic)

You really want to download the service manual, and the above "power distribution block" is documented in the beginning pages of section 8w

Service manuals are here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

.. other folks have had their TCM killed by oil wicking up the wiring harness from the transmission connector. Whether or not overfilling could increase your chance of that is something i can't say, except suggesting that you look *inside* the seat pedestal.

good luck
--dick

hotrodharley
01-29-2013, 12:18 AM
all fuses chected good at batt.;;;can a over filled trans cause eng to stop running? it started every time foir last 2 days ..it started this morning after i put 2 qts trans fluid in..but as it was warming up it died...before this if i stood outside the dr. door and turn key on and off i could here something in tank run for a few seconds and then stop till i cycle key again...after eng died this morning i no longer here it running in fuel tank..i thought it was a electric pump in tank running but when i downloaded the repair manual it says theres no pump in tank for disels..was i hearing a pump or what in tank?

talkinghorse43
01-29-2013, 12:23 AM
An '05 has a pump in the tank.

hotrodharley
01-29-2013, 02:41 AM
An '05 has a pump in the tank.

what turns pump on ?is there a fuel pump relay?why all a sudden after i added 2 qts trans fluid then pump stops working...i'm sure i'm over full.will that shut fuel pump off and not let it run?.going drain pan tomorrow..found a theard on here stated if just draining pan it only takes 5.0l////is this correct?if so how many qts is that? thanks for everyones reply..i really need this thing running ASAP;;

Aqua Puttana
01-29-2013, 11:41 AM
what turns pump on ?is there a fuel pump relay?why all a sudden after i added 2 qts trans fluid then pump stops working...i'm sure i'm over full.will that shut fuel pump off and not let it run?.going drain pan tomorrow..found a theard on here stated if just draining pan it only takes 5.0l////is this correct?if so how many qts is that? thanks for everyones reply..i really need this thing running ASAP;;
Liter to quart conversion tables can be found by using Google.

I find a transmission pan drain has yielded a bit under 4 quarts. Going blind :thumbdown: I would drain and refill with maybe 3.5 quarts to make certain that you don't overfill again. You really need a dipstick and if you can't get the transmission up to operating temperature (Hot) then you need to measure the transmission temperature to get an accurate level.

You added too much transmission fluid. Your engine died. It MAY be related, but (I repeat) that would be a new wrinkle for any posting on this forum. Sometimes coincidences happen coincidentally.

If you search from the blue bar above there are threads about the fuel pump electrics. Good luck. vic

autostaretx
01-29-2013, 05:53 PM

I repeat myself (must've eaten cabbage):
----------
Call Doktor Andy Bittenbinder in (near) Pittsburgh...
The Doktor A Sprinter Hotline is 412-366-6165.
---------

He WILL be able to answer all of those questions...

To quote from the service manual:
To prevent engine from starting, remove Fuel Pump Relay.
This relay is located in Power Distribution Center (PDC).
Refer to label on PDC cover for relay location.
(i get the feeling that "in the PDC" applies to non-OBD (i.e. rest of world) models.)

The fuel pump relay appears on pages 8w-10-12, 8w-10-30, 8w-20-6, 8w-21-2 and 8w-30-18 of the 2006 service manual (which is "close enough" to a 2005)
(it's in the same places in the 2004 service manual). It's powered by "fuse 19" in block 1. (my fuse panel cover agrees: 19)
2006 service manual from: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

The control for the Fuel Pump Relay comes from pin 55 on the C2 connector of the ECU.

Another thing the 2006 manual does better than earlier editions is show the locations of things in section 8w-91
The fuel pump is (theoretically) shown in figure 4 on page 8w-91-17 (but they don't show where the Fuel Pump Relay is hiding)
Unfortunately, what they're showing on figure 4 is obviously the Fuel Filter, not an in- (or near- ) -tank pump. Foo.

The Parts Catalog finally shows us the in-tank "Fuel Module", which includes the lift pump:

... so look for a big nut on top of the fuel tank, with wires leading to it.
Here's the Service Manual's exterior sketch of that location (note propellor shaft):

--dick

hotrodharley
01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
OK;;;;Been on phone with Andy for past 2 days.he was a lot of help and very nice person..we came up with needing to send in ECM to get tested and repaired..they also want the SKREEM and key;;;what is the SKREEM and where do i find it at[pics would help]have a 05 dodge sprinter 2500 series;;

A.Hayes
02-01-2013, 02:56 AM
I hope SOS doesn't mind me grabbing their link. That may well be where ECM is going anyway.
SKREEM removal:
http://www.sosdiagnostics.com/pdfs/SKREEM%20Removal.pdf

hotrodharley
02-01-2013, 03:09 AM
I hope SOS doesn't mind me grabbing their link. That may well be where ECM is going anyway.
SKREEM removal:
http://www.sosdiagnostics.com/pdfs/SKREEM%20Removal.pdf

thanks for the link..found it after i posted on here..Yes send to Chad at SOS..

Amboman
02-01-2013, 05:43 AM
Due to the electronic complexity its possibly no surprise that its an electronic interlock not enabled or aligned doing the immobilising.