PDA

View Full Version : Koni shocks

J.Johnson
01-23-2013, 09:56 PM
I just ordered my koni shocks for my 144" 06 sprinter. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to start with the setting on them? My old shocks sprung a leak the size of the Exon valdez. I thought an oil line came off at first. Had to laugh about it just being a shock

Sent with mind control...

kthflieger
01-24-2013, 11:42 PM
the Koni's made a huge difference after I installed them. I preset them at about 75%. I may actually go in and stiffen that a little more. Now I just wish I could find someone who makes an anti sway bar for the front...

jackbombay
01-25-2013, 12:22 AM
The adjustment only controls the rebound dampening, some think that setting them to full stiff will make the shock bottom out when driving over bumps in rapid succession as the van won't "stand back up" in between the bumps you are driving over. I don't think this happens and have not experienced it with my 158 SHC whit Konis all around. I set them to %90 of full stiff, fwiw. They did make a huge difference in how the van drives and handles far more stable and planted on long sweeping corners.

I think they are pretty spendy and I bet you could get %80 of the results for half the money, but the Konis do make me smile...

Aqua Puttana
01-25-2013, 12:29 AM
... My old shocks sprung a leak the size of the Exon valdez. I thought an oil line came off at first. Had to laugh about it just being a shock...
Mine did that too, only it was a bit more of a shock. (Pun intended.)

A Rear Shocks Narrative
I knew I needed new rear shocks. At 225,000+ miles I'm thinkin' they're not OEM, but who knows? I noticed excessive rocking over speed bumps and bad roads. I had checked for fluid leaks, no wetness showing. I'm not unfamiliar with driving truck like vans so given the present finances my Sprinter seemed fine to me.
Hooked the boat up and took off from N.F. headed for Lake George. Thanks to the 15.8 mpg average mileage we made it no problem 260 miles straight through to exit the Interstate. Slowed for the toll booth, no stop because we have EZPass. Caught a green light for the right turn, so no stop for that. Continued down the road until we needed to stop for a line of traffic. My wife exclaimed, "You DO know they're stopped up there!!!" I knew that. That was why my my right foot was trying hard to put the brake pedal through the floorboard! A quick glance in the mirror verified my left escape. Sprinter, boat and trailer stopped about 2 1/2 cars into the stopped line, but safely over to the empty left lane. The smell of hot brakes was pretty hard to miss.

What I think happened... The boat trailer tongue weight with event gear is more load than we normally carry. The entire time we drove the 260 miles non-stop on the Interstate the shock seals were riding on crusted shaft metal and spewing oil which coated the rear brakes. When we tried to stop the boat, trailer and Sprinter only the front brakes were stopping us. We are so lucky that I had the escape lane! Checked all the brakes since. Rear brakes good. Shocks, shot. Front pads good, rotors borderline. ...
Post is here.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154498#post154498

I'm glad that you discovered your leaks with a better method than I used.

...I just ordered my koni shocks for my 144" 06 sprinter. ...

06 should = 140 WB. Not that it would matter except on a Sprinter forum. :cheers: vic

J.Johnson
01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys. I will start at 75%. FYI I found that summit racing had the best price.
Depending on how they work out, I will most likely put them on my 158" RV conversion also.
144" or 140" , tomato , tomato. Lol

david_42
01-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Summit Racing is a great source for many things. When I had an old Dodge RV, I purchased a heavy-duty alternator bracket from them. It was three times as thick as the OEM.

Turbo John
01-25-2013, 09:36 PM
If you want real control you need a double adjustable shock. You can adjust the compression and extension. I raced with single and double adjustable shocks for 35 years. The double gives you a greater range of adjustability and a bigger piston. It really gives you total control since the shock does extend and compress. The single adjusts both settings at the same time which in not ideal and really does nothing for you that a good HD gas shock will do. Koni is the one that really was the leader in double adjustable shocks. I am not sure what you guys are willing to pay but>>

If you want a good single adjustable shock by the brand: Rancho

doctorlock
01-26-2013, 12:49 PM
I adjust my Konis to about 75% also. I just replaced my first set of Konis under warranty. Be advised, KEEP your sales slip. The process for the front set was about 1.5 months as they came rebuilt from Europe. I couldn't just swap them out at a dealer, had to return them to Koni USA. The rears arrived in about 2 weeks, I believe they're new not rebuilds. They had to be prepaid with a refund if the old struts are determined to be defective. The process was a little long for strut warranty, I think. The ride with all new struts is sooooo fine.

xriss
01-28-2013, 02:57 AM
anybody got part numbers for the konis front and rears heavy duty type...thanks all

J.Johnson
01-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Koni # s
Front 87-2638
Rear 82-2434
For my '06 sprinter.

J.Johnson
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Adjusted them to 3/4 turn from softest setting. Van rides much nicer. May have to put them on my RV conversion sprinter also.

J.Johnson
02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Btw. Summit racing was the cheapest that I found.

Colorado_Al
02-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Best price rear = http://thmotorsports.com/i-229243.aspx
front = http://thmotorsports.com/koni/koni_shock_heavy_track_series/872638/i-229260.aspx
Use coupon code 5offFive
Total $533.52 for all 4. Shipping included.