PDA

View Full Version : Rear springs

Morry
01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Hi All,

I followed the suggestion that new red Koni's would help my back end from rocking when going out of a driveway or hitting a bump. It turns out that my springs are bottomed out and don't seem to be doing much. I did a search and found a lot of information in many posts and it confused me. I don't know if I should get new springs, air springs, helper springs, ......

The GVW on the Sprinter sticker says 8550 lbs.
Today I had it weighed and it was 7960 lbs.

In the past, I used to carry more stuff so it was probably near maximum. I still have to put a few things back in that would probably add 200-300 more pounds.

The local shop did not put on the shocks because he said that something should also be done to the springs.

One more piece to the puzzle is that about 5-6 years ago I installed Timbrens and they are still there

What should I do?

sailquik
01-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Morry,
How have you determined that your original rear springs are "bottomed out"?
How much of the 7960 lbs. was on the rear axle? How much on the front axle?
The Timbrens you have installed (if correctly installed) should prevent your original rear springs
from bottoming out.
By bottoming out, do you mean that the rear axle is riding on the rubber bump stops that prevent the
axle from contacting the chassis of your Sprinter?
Did your Timbren installation substitute the Timbren rubber springs for the OEM rubber bump stops?
Your 2004 Sprinter long and tall is the 158" wheelbase? Do you have the extended rear?
Roger

Morry
01-23-2013, 03:10 AM
Roger,
I do not know how much each axle weighed. However, most of my gear is from behind the rear door. Yes, they took off the original stop and installed the Timbrens. When I am on the rear bumper and bounce, it doesn't move at all. I was told that it is the longest they made that year at around 22'.
Morry

sailquik
01-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Hi Morry,
So, the rear axle on your 2500 Sprinter is sitting on the Timbren convoluted rubber springs all the time when loaded?
If so, that may not be what the Timbren springs were designed to do, and youir OEM springs may
have flattened some with 9 years of being nearly overloaded.
Roger

EZoilburner
01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
My experience is from trucks not vans but maybe it will help You, when You need to increase the load capacity or the way the vehicle takes the loads You put on it You can install air bags for the rear springs and for the front as well. I don't know if there is a kit offered for sprinters but it sure does help with a truck, word of advise it will feel a bit more stiff but with the loads You speak of it shouldn't be a concern for You.

My $.2c.

jjrubino
01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
My 2006 Sprinter 22" RV has Firestone Air Bags. It is just the van, not a wide-body. For much of the time I have had the van, the heavy sway in driveways was not pleasant! I put new shocks on and they did not make much difference. However, once I realized I was not running enough pressure in the air bags, it made all the difference. I was running only 30 lbs of pressure, which was close to the minimum allowed and did not provide much assist. I upped it to 60lbs. (they can go as high as 90 lbs.) It made an amazing difference in the overall handling. It is easy to vary the pressure while driving if you want to change ride height or stiffness.

I recently saw some air bags that appear to be good quality here: http://sprinterstore.com/air_bag_kit.htm. I have not done business with the company, but they have some interesting stuff.