PDA

View Full Version : New top speed

GEARS
01-21-2013, 07:39 PM
My 2005 Sprinter goes 92 mph, maybe a little faster but I haven't had time to verify it with GPS. It was easy to do thanks to the DAD.
:cheers:

autostaretx
01-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Would you please write a cookbook ? (i.e. click this, then this, then that, then this will take 5 minutes, etc)

thanks
--dick

maxextz
01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
My 2005 Sprinter goes 92 mph, maybe a little faster but I haven't had time to verify it with GPS. It was easy to do thanks to the DAD.
:cheers:

:hmmm:

Altered Sprinter
01-22-2013, 07:15 PM
And the X crowd roars out for more.49753

owner
01-22-2013, 11:06 PM
In star you cannot remove the limit, you can only set it to a max of 161kph. I havent tried it out to see if its really limited lol. My van is ex ambo so it already had it set to 161, but it also has the 4400rpm rev limit. Id expect you might need to set both for a proper high speed run.

BULBASOR
01-22-2013, 11:30 PM
What's the "DAD"? :idunno:

Altered Sprinter
01-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Retired:smirk:

BULBASOR
01-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Hey Richard! How are you??

What's a DAD? Is it somthing I can get for Bulbasor? I would like him to go faster too!:bash:

Altered Sprinter
01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
The grandfather for the Dad> is Andy our hero:bow:..but I think he had a problem with China blocking a supply for ports:shifty:
I'm just a lowly 4-inline with out the speed limiter:tongue:, many a time waiting for my turn with approved MB and sponsored Mercedes data to run on the track clocking the magic ton, but the brakes are useless at that speed.

Richard

GEARS
01-23-2013, 02:17 AM
Ok fine I'll show ya but remember you heard it here first. :cheers:

1. Connect the DAD.
2. Click on SPECIAL FUNCTIONS in the menu bar.
3. Click on COMPONENT/VEHICLE CODING.
4. Click on CDI3 [ECM] SET PARAMETERS ENGINE OM647.

Now you should be looking at a screen that shows tire size.

5. Click on READ CODING.
6. Click on the drop down menu and select the smallest tires.
7. Click on WRITE CODING.

Now go check it out and see if it works. If you already have the smaller wheel/tire combo then you are out of luck.

I did this in 2011 while resetting the NAG1 and I've been hogging the fast lane and beating up the other T1N Sprinters ever since.

It's not removing the speed limiter, instead you're just telling the ECM that your Sprinter has got smaller shoes.

I figured that I had better share the news instead of charging $100.

BULBASOR
01-23-2013, 02:38 AM
Now Richard, you know I drive 7 series BMW cars when I'm not in BULBASOR! I can't really fall back on my other car like you can.

As for "tricking" BULBASOR into thinking he has small tires that really sets up a problem when the computer is trying to calculate Manifold Air Pressure going uphill at speed under a load.

The computer is going to pop you into limp mode and shut down your turbo boost if you get the Miles per Hour and the RPM way out of sync too much.

Just a warning.

Anyways - Richard - should I contact Dr. Andy for a DAD? You think itr would be a nice gift for BULBASOR?:cheers:

GEARS
01-23-2013, 02:48 AM
I've been hauling ass and getting the same fuel economy without any of these issues you speak of.

MillionMileSprinter
01-23-2013, 03:04 AM
I've been hauling ass and getting the same fuel economy without any of these issues you speak of.

Just where have you been "hauling ass" over 85mph?
Between Alabama and Michigan? :smirk:

tDot
01-23-2013, 03:56 AM
If you're setting the computer to think that it has smaller tires, then would this also effect the odometer?

owner
01-23-2013, 04:19 AM
If you're setting the computer to think that it has smaller tires, then would this also effect the odometer?
Yes. It would read less distance than what you actually covered. I believe its something like 7% difference between 225/75R16 (biggest) and 225/70R15 (smallest). So when you do 93 miles on your odo, you have actually done 100 miles in real life. Your speedo will be 7% "out" too, which is already set to read low, so it may actually correct the speedo.

The correct way to remove the limiter is with star daig like I said above. Both speed and RPM limits can be set high enough that you won't ever really hit them without a downhill run and tail wind - 161kph and 4400rpm.

Though I have had mine up to pretty close to the limit on the dial on the flat when overtaking a road train (all done on a closed private road of course:smirk:). It was the first time I overtook in the sprinter so obviously I just floored it and hung on. It wasn't till I was past and glanced down at the speedo that I realised this thing has surpassed all preconceived expectations.

The computer is going to pop you into limp mode and shut down your turbo boost if you get the Miles per Hour and the RPM way out of sync too much.
No its not. Thr electronics think its doing 60mph or whatever, when in real life its doing 63mph. The electronics have no way of knowing what the real life speed is. This would be just like having slightly more load as far as the electronics are concerned.

GEARS
01-23-2013, 04:19 AM

Possibly but the tach reads about 3200rpm as well. :idunno:

Altered Sprinter
01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
Now Richard, you know I drive 7 series BMW cars when I'm not in BULBASOR! I can't really fall back on my other car like you can.

As for "tricking" BULBASOR into thinking he has small tires that really sets up a problem when the computer is trying to calculate Manifold Air Pressure going uphill at speed under a load.

Just a warning.

Anyways - Richard - should I contact Dr. Andy for a DAD? You think itr would be a nice gift for BULBASOR?:cheers: Ask him best I can do.

Cheers Richard

autostaretx
01-23-2013, 04:57 AM
...sigh, i already have the smallest tires on the wheels, so this fudge won't work for me.

thanx anyway... i like the approach...
--dick

jcweller1
01-23-2013, 11:02 AM
In star you cannot remove the limit, you can only set it to a max of 161kph. I havent tried it out to see if its really limited lol. My van is ex ambo so it already had it set to 161, but it also has the 4400rpm rev limit. Id expect you might need to set both for a proper high speed run.

I wonder if we can do this with the Star? I've been into tire size but there were no options for different sizes.:hmmm:

Aqua Puttana
01-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Good thinking. To be honest I've shyed away from that section of my DAD because I know it contains some serious potential pitfalls for the unknowing.

I don't normally need to go over 82 mph in my travels and I don't know if I'd like the speedo being off reality even more than it is (especially the forget once and get a ticket other direction), but this has real possibility for when we head across to California. It will be real nice to run over those flat straight mid-west roads a bit quicker. A quick tire setting change at each end and Bob's your uncle. Nice. Thanks. vic

Ok fine I'll show ya but remember you heard it here first. :cheers:

1. Connect the DAD.
2. Click on SPECIAL FUNCTIONS in the menu bar.
3. Click on COMPONENT/VEHICLE CODING.
4. Click on CDI3 [ECM] SET PARAMETERS ENGINE OM647.

Now you should be looking at a screen that shows tire size.

5. Click on READ CODING.
7. Click on WRITE CODING.

Now go check it out and see if it works. If you already have the smaller wheel/tire combo then you are out of luck.

I did this in 2011 while resetting the NAG1 and I've been hogging the fast lane and beating up the other T1N Sprinters ever since.

It's not removing the speed limiter, instead you're just telling the ECM that your Sprinter has got smaller shoes.

I figured that I had better share the news instead of charging $100.

maxextz
01-23-2013, 08:58 PM
why didn't you say all that in the beginning,getting folks all excited and their backs up.:smilewink:

well done:thumbup:

GEARS
01-24-2013, 05:24 AM
I only wish I would have mentioned it sooner but I was busy moving shop. Maybe people won't be arguing so much now that their Sprinter can go a little faster.

owner
01-24-2013, 06:10 AM
I wonder if we can do this with the Star? I've been into tire size but there were no options for different sizes.:hmmm:
You don't need to dick with the tyre sizes in star, you can just set the limiter to 161kph. You might need to do it as a "rest of world" sprinter though. Certainly in my clone star I can set 161kph and set the rpm limit to 4400.

Also, choosing something other than nafta, you should see more tyre size options show up.

BULBASOR
01-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah!:tongue:

shortshort
01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Mine is already on the smallest tires but I got the biggest tires I could fit in the wells. Same effect. Well... not quite 92. About 87 on the gps. Speedo is now accurate to within a mph, odo understates slightly.

stroud_omnibus
01-24-2013, 08:06 PM
All very well for you guys! :frown: Think of us 'Bus' guys here in the UK limited to 100kph by law. (EU law....... don't even get me started! :yell:) I can hit that with a full load of passengers by the bottom of the entry road on to the motorway!

maxextz
01-26-2013, 01:18 AM
well ive 15" tyres and can do over 100mph if i wish.and i dont.ha:smilewink:

Aqua Puttana
01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
well ive 15" tyres and can do over 100mph if i wish.and i dont.ha:smilewink:
You Euro model owners can be so smug at times. It can be tyring. :tongue: :hugs:

Let's see... always looking for bigger engines, more power, common forum question - "is tuning for Sprinters available?", spinning tires off the line...
I wonder why they included a speed limiter on the North American import models?? :hmmm:

:dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm:

Actually my guess is that the mandated NAFTA or North American speed limiter is related to meeting some Federal safety or emissions standard before Sprinters would be certified for import. I repeat, that is a guess. vic

MillionMileSprinter
08-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Ok, so I tried this on my new Sprinter recently and it had the OPPOSITE effect. I've already got larger than stock tires (255.55.18) and used a DAD to reset my ECM to think I had 15" rims and corresponding tires, and now my speed-o-meter reads so high above actual speed that it says about 87mph on the speed-o-meter but only 80 on my GPS! At least before I could hit 84mph on the GPS. What gives? Other than GEARS, has anyone else actually performed this mod and had it work?
In all honesty, I don't plan on traveling that fast very often- higher speeds demand a quicker reaction time and greater carnage in the event of an accident. It's also horrible for my miles-per-gallon average. I was just playing around with a borrowed DAD and thought it would be a fun mod to do. But when I went to test it out today heading down to the Jersey Shore...

shortshort
08-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Something is wrong. Other things being equal, If you switched the coding to smaller tires, the computer will lower the indicated speed.

GEARS
08-12-2013, 08:32 PM
:clapping:

Must I make a youtube video showing me blazing the fast lane with the GPS backing up the facts?

I'm hauling balls and enjoying it too.

GEARS
08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Something is wrong. Other things being equal, If you switched the coding to smaller tires, the computer will lower the indicated speed.

I hear ya and that's what I originally thought but either way the Sprinter goes faster.

I'm thinking that the ECM is concerned with the output shaft speed from the transmission and this is what dictates what the speed limit will be and changing the tire coding merely raises the output shaft max allowable speed and that the speedo gets its signal from the sensor at the rear axle.

Has anyone else tried this yet?

Drew.eight
08-13-2013, 04:08 AM
I have- my van does 92 on the gps. I don't use it a lot, but its nice to have when you need it.