PDA

View Full Version : Any auto transport company recomendations?

Nuke
01-19-2013, 01:02 PM
any info on transport companies
good or bad
looking at shipping from DC to So. FL

Aqua Puttana
01-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Avoid all those jokers on Shipping Wars like the plague. :tongue:

:cheers: vic

d_bertko
01-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I am guessing you have other needs but there is Amtrak Auto Train from DC to Orlando.

Looked like at least some Sprinters would qualify.

Dan

ScottWood
01-20-2013, 01:18 AM
I recently had my T1N hauled from Philadelphia to Michigan.

Stay far, far, far away from Showtime Transport. They are scammers of the first degree. They will promise anything to get your credit card number and take a deposit. Then they will not return your phone calls. I ended up calling Discover card and disputing the charge. Discover charged them back and credited my account.

Magic Carpet Auto Transport found a trucker that hauled my Sprinter for me. They did not charge my card until they picked it up. There were a few delays due to Hurricane Sandy, but their dispatcher kept me informed as to what was happening with my vehicle. I would use them again.

Go to Uship.com. After you post your info be prepared to get a lot of emails offering to haul your vehicle. There is website called Transport Review that rates the different company's. Check them out before you commit to using them. I wish I had before I dealt with Showtime :frown:

icarus
01-20-2013, 01:40 AM
I had a vehicle driven through Uship. Comes with a bit of risk having someone drive your rig, it worked out well for me. A sprinter from MSP to SEA cost me $800, took 2.5 days.

I was happy,

Icarus

israndy
01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
I am guessing you have other needs but there is Amtrak Auto Train from DC to Orlando.

Looked like at least some Sprinters would qualify.

Dan

Looks too small for any Sprinter (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241337915810) I know, 65-88 inches in height, that's 7.33 feet. The low roof T1N is 93 inches. (http://sprinter-source.com/wiki/index.php/Sprinter)

It kills me that there are no good ways to pop your car onto a train and ferry it around the country. I would take my RV so many places if I could just ride the rails to my destination. There will still be LOTS of driving when I get there I am sure.

-Randy

Aqua Puttana
01-20-2013, 09:46 PM
What was the responsibility of each party in the event of a breakdown? I'm assuming the owner has all the monetary liability. Did the transporter have specific responsibilites to monitor any repairs, or provide other service? If it can't be repaired in a reasonable time frame does he/she travel/fly home on your dime?

No plans. Just curious. vic

I had a vehicle driven through Uship. Comes with a bit of risk having someone drive your rig, it worked out well for me. A sprinter from MSP to SEA cost me $800, took 2.5 days.

I was happy,

Icarus

icarus
01-21-2013, 05:55 PM
^ To be perfectly honest, it is not something we discussed. I needed the vehicle fast and he could do it. He works for Delta so he flys for free so it wasn't an issue. That said, it certainly would be a good question to get sorted.

Sometimes you take a chance and it works out.

(if I had to do it again, I probably would do a bit more due dilligence!)

Icarus

d_bertko
01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Looks too small for any Sprinter (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241337915810) I know, 65-88 inches in height, that's 7.33 feet. The low roof T1N is 93 inches. (http://sprinter-source.com/wiki/index.php/Sprinter)

It kills me that there are no good ways to pop your car onto a train and ferry it around the country. I would take my RV so many places if I could just ride the rails to my destination. There will still be LOTS of driving when I get there I am sure.

-Randy

I agree that the specs seem to rule out Sprinters. But they suggest some wiggle room for non-dualiie Sprinters. Perhaps a call to rule out the option? (Doesn't seem likely to me.)

"In addition, a limited number of spaces are available to carry small enclosed trailers, trailers for transporting boats, jet-skis, trikes (three-wheeled vehicles), sidecars, choppers, etc. Call us at 1-877-SKIP-I-95 (1-877-754-7495) for more information."

A while back someone was trying to ship a Sprinter overseas in a container. IIRC, there is an oversize class of container---but might require de-airing the tires (or using rolling jacks instead of wheels). Width was also very tight.

Skipping Amtrak, one would think the intermodal freight shippers could handle a Sprinter on a flatcar instead of the usual full size truck trailer. The math is pretty good---about a third of a Sprinter's tank of diesel is enough to haul 4 tons of Sprinter 872 miles (8 gallons by the CSX tv ads.)

Dan

Aqua Puttana
01-22-2013, 07:29 PM
I probably wouldn't have been that diligent either. It just occurred to me as I read through the thread.

If the ability of the Sprinter to make the trip is at all in question then that might swing the prudent choice over to a trailer or flatbed transport. :idunno:

vic

^ To be perfectly honest, it is not something we discussed. I needed the vehicle fast and he could do it. He works for Delta so he flys for free so it wasn't an issue. That said, it certainly would be a good question to get sorted.

Sometimes you take a chance and it works out.

(if I had to do it again, I probably would do a bit more due diligence!)

Icarus