PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage vehicles

Nuke
01-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Well I have dangerously gotten my hopes up :bow:
My brother is looking at a 2004 3500 Freightliner 170" 15 passenger van
with 272,000 miles on it for me tomorrow.
I'm hoping he calls me with the good word and I will fly up to look it over and have scheduled a pre-purchase inspection at the local Dodge dealer with a Sprinter tech.
Trying to arrange for it to be delivered to my home rather than driving it 800+ mi before I'm familiar with it. Arranged to have it dropped off at my personal Tranny guy to do a quick service and once over. He is my vehicle primary care technician.

I joined this site almost 6 months ago and have learned lots of valuable information.
The reason for this thread is I have noticed many of these were posts from 2007, 2008 and maybe 2009. It is now 2013 and I am looking at vehicles with over 200K miles on them.
I would like to read some experiences people had as their vehicles started going into the centuries mileage.

From what I can gather this current owner has had it for 5 years and says that he has only changed the fluids, nothing else wrong with it. Used it to transport kids and doesnít have that job any more so selling van. Of course what was done before that is a mystery? So do I preventatively try loosening hold down bolts and pull injectors? Should I try pulling the glow plugs? Iím just afraid they might be seized in there and maybe I ought to pull them, coat them in anti-seize new seals and then I know what Iím dealing with. Convert the glow plug controller to external fuses seems a no brainer. What about turbo resonator and EGR valve?

Just trying to generate info on higher mileage vehicles.

Thanks and hoping to have pix and many happy stories to contribute in the near future

sikwan
01-18-2013, 05:13 PM
I would just do the easy stuff like change fluids, change filters, and do the injector cover inspection. Other than that, maybe some rust inspection fixes, etc.

I would only start removing injectors or glow plugs because I had to, not because it has high mileage.

Hoping the best for you when you receive it. :thumbup:

mawsea
01-19-2013, 12:50 AM
If it aint broke, don't fix it

jjrubino
01-19-2013, 01:39 PM
As long as the oil, coolant and brake fluid are up to snuff, I would try driving it home and use the money for proactive maintenance. I bought my Sprinter from a place 500 miles from my home. I drove it back in south Florida summer heat (95 Degrees). I was a nervous wreck! Since that time, I have learned to relax with it. Federal Express is running T1Ns in Florida daily with more mileage than you have on your new one. The only thing I will stay is do not drive too fast if it is hot so that the temperature gauge does not climb and make you nervous. The temperature gauge takes some getting used to, as I'm sure you have read on this forum. Have fun!

Aqua Puttana
01-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I agree. Purchase Good Sams road service far enough in advance that it is in effect and drive the sucker. I think that you can buy a Good Sams policy for your present vehicle(s) so that then you are just adding another vehicle to your present policy. Double check that though. Good luck. vic

As long as the oil, coolant and brake fluid are up to snuff, I would try driving it home and use the money for proactive maintenance. I bought my Sprinter from a place 500 miles from my home. I drove it back in south Florida summer heat (95 Degrees). I was a nervous wreck! Since that time, I have learned to relax with it. Federal Express is running T1Ns in Florida daily with more mileage than you have on your new one. The only thing I will stay is do not drive too fast if it is hot so that the temperature gauge does not climb and make you nervous. The temperature gauge takes some getting used to, as I'm sure you have read on this forum. Have fun!

david_42
01-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Just to reenforce the comment about the temperature gauge: unlike most vehicles the temperature gauge on the Sprinter doesn't have a flat spot in the curve. Normally it sits around 185F, but will go higher quickly under heavy loads and/or high outside temperatures. If you are used to gauges that read "normal" for a wide range of temperatures, this can be disturbing. Even in Nevada climbing mountains, my Sprinter never went over about 210F, though.

ECU
01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
I purchased mine with 297000 miles. I've put brakes on it (I think the backs were original).
I have replaced injectors and glow plugs. When I got it, it needed a new windshield and I polished the headlights.
A local fleet of sprinters now has over half the fleet over 500,000 miles.

I doubt I will ever need another vehicle.

The Islander
01-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Certainly wouldn't hurt to check the tension of the bolts,..lol.. as you never know..
I saw a spare tire fall off a motor-home a few years ago, and go bouncing into a water filled ditch at the side of the highway..The driver never even noticed, and just kept on going..

As with any higher mileage vehicle I think due diligence will pay off. Brakes, rubber hoses, belts, propane fittings, water hose and fittings, battery connections, rust, maybe an engine cylinder compression test, etc.. sure can't hurt..

You never really know how well a vehicle has been serviced by a previous owner.