PDA

View Full Version : Curt 14250 hitch fit on Front of T1N?

JohnForde
01-18-2013, 12:17 AM
Will a Curt hitch 14250 work on the front of a T1N?
I want a front hitch to carry a motorcycle and a 14250 Curt just came up on my local Craigslist.

autostaretx
01-18-2013, 02:21 AM
My first suggestion is: crawl underneath the front and look up.

There is very little structure there to hang any sort of a load (such as a cantilevered motorcycle).

There was a thread a while back asking about putting a trailer hitch in front for boat launching... i don't think they ever reached a resolution (or solution)

--dick

israndy
01-18-2013, 03:27 AM
The folks at Upscale Automotive have them that they make there, allow 4-6 weeks for delivery:

http://www.sprinterstore.com/tow_hitches.htm

You don't have a lot of lifting power in front, only two tires, your engine and both passengers already there. If it's a bicycle style motorcycle, sure, but anything much heavier should go inside or on the back, if you have a short Sprinter that is. Most long Sprinters give too much ARM and really flail the bike around on bumps, would definitely need a 3500 to take the abuse.

I put a lift on the back of my motorhome, but it has airbags and I had welding done to reinforce the hitch and distribute the weight to multiple points along the back. Serious bike I am carrying (455 lbs), perhaps I will buy a smaller bike so I don't keep striking fear in my wife when we drive with it hanging off the back.

-Randy

kalewatkins
01-28-2013, 04:47 AM
If you don't mind me asking, ISRANDY, what type of welding did you do to reinforce the hitch?

israndy
01-28-2013, 01:38 PM
This is from my photo set.

Observe the way he took angled iron and welded it to my original hitch. Above that you see one of the two additional receivers that he welded just below the bumper. He welded them to the bumper and then welded a bar to the outside running down to the hitch, so the hitch and the bumper are now a single part. That wire and bulbous black piece are the hitch wiring, my bumper was knocked off by a garbage truck, getting that work done right now...

-Randy