PDA

View Full Version : Horn ?

EZoilburner
01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
The one on My sprinter doesn't work, I checked all the obvious like fuse #7 under the steering and put 12v to the horn and it work but when I try it on the airbag cover it doesn't work, how can I pull the cover off? do I have to disconnect the battery? is it possible is just the infamous fuse block? how to check that out.

Thanks

autostaretx
01-18-2013, 02:04 AM
YES you want to disconnect the battery when playing near any of the airbags.

...but, before that, download the 2003 service manual from: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
...which has the schematics for the horn circuit, and the how-to-tear-it-apart chapters.

--dick

EZoilburner
01-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes thank You, I was reading it yesterday but didn't find the "tear the horn apart" section, I did find old posts and it says to disconnect the negative from the battery post only, is that right?

Yesterday I was removing some wires the PO put on the fuse box under the steering and now I don't have turn signal, now I have to find out why.

talkinghorse43
01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
The one on My sprinter doesn't work, I checked all the obvious like fuse #7 under the steering and put 12v to the horn and it work but when I try it on the airbag cover it doesn't work, how can I pull the cover off? do I have to disconnect the battery? is it possible is just the infamous fuse block? how to check that out.

Thanks

I had that problem and it was the conductor in the clockspring that was broken. When I replaced the clockspring, it worked again.

autostaretx
01-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Yes, disconnecting just the negative post is sufficient (batteries require two connections (one in, one out) for current (electricity) to flow).
The advantage of disconnecting the negative post is that your wrench won't arc-weld itself to the body if it accidentally touches the frame during the connect/disconnect activity. That can happen if you're only doing the positive post.

Yes thank You, I was reading it yesterday but didn't find the "tear the horn apart" section,
(added: whoops... i was thinking "multifunction switch" ... see next paragraph)
It's cryptically in the "exterior lighting" section: 8L, roughly page 19 (in the 2003 manual).
It's also instructive the read the text of chapter 8L, since it covers the various operations (logic?) of the lamp switching circuitry.

Typically, a procedure page like that will expect you to hop all around the manual (shown by ALL UPPERCASE references).
The "horn" section (8h) simply says (as a step) "remove airbag", so you're expected to realize that that's hiding under 8o, "Restraints".
The clockspring is also under "restraints" (page 8o-12)

good luck
--dick

EZoilburner
01-18-2013, 10:24 PM
I moved the driver/steering airbag aside and looked at the pins and they looked alright, still I removed the ring and cleaned the pins with some fine grit sand paper, put it all back together and the horn still doesn't work.
What is the clock-spring You talk about? is that in the steering?

Thank You Autostaretx, I installed the manual and it freezes My computer but if I open it with AR it will show Me the documents one by one.

I've removed a few of the many add-ons the PO installed on this sprinter, I got turn signal again. I need to take it for inspection on Monday, I hope I can get the horn working I know they check that in MD.

Thanks.

Edit: Also I found below the fuse block on the steering column right on the bottom bolt to the steering column a ground wire but there was only about 3" left of wire on it and it was pulled off, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be factory or was the PO pulling stuff out since I have found some of the in-line fuse holders they were using for who knows what. When I saw the little ground wire I wonder if that was the ground for the horn but looking at the back of the fuse block it didn't look like a wire was missing or pulled from it.

autostaretx
01-19-2013, 12:34 AM
What is the clock-spring You talk about? is that in the steering?
The clockspring is a coiled wire assembly that brings signals/power from the fixed steering wheel housing to the moving steering wheel (and its buttons).
In the 2003 manual's wiring diagrams, it shows up on pages 8W-41-3 and 8w-43-3

You can use Acrobat Reader's "find" (ctrl-F) to locate items in the text and component indices... unfortunately it doesn't find words on the wiring diagrams themselves (it does find them in figure captions).

--dick

EZoilburner
01-20-2013, 04:04 AM
The horn WORKS now, only other thing I did was pull the fuses and twist the end a little bit. I have not driven it enough but it appears the turn signal and horn problem are intermittent, I gather the clock spring is suspect along with the fuse block on the steering wheel. I will take it for inspection this coming week and see what they have to say.

Thanks everyone.

autostaretx
01-20-2013, 08:21 PM
If the original owner used "piggyback" taps in the fuse block, he probably spread the internal contact fingers so they're now making the (seen) intermittent contact. Your technique of twisting the fuse pins to make better contact was a sneaky trick (i'll try to remember it... thanks).

Many members have replaced the entire below-steering-wheel fuse block due to internal damage from any number of causes.

--dick

EZoilburner
04-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Update, after a couple of days the horn stop working again and for some time I could not figure out where exactly is the relay for the horn located at so when I realized it was writen on the seat fuse box cober I pulled it out and looked as new to Me but since I have to wait 3 days for one to show up from dodge for $20 I thought what the heck I'll pull it apart and I cleaned all the little terminals inside and out, put it back together and re-installed it. The Horn works very well now.

EZoilburner
07-03-2014, 05:55 PM
So here is an update, My arm finally got tired so I decided to look deeper into this issue. I pulled the steering wheel and the clockspring, then after some thought I pulled the clockspring apart; inside there is just the 4 wires in a spring like arrangement. Now I understand why the need for low voltage here, anyways I unwinded the spring and found the circuit open mainly from use since the sides on this spring rub against each other every time the steering wheel turns. I don't have money for a clockspring right now and really didn't see much gain to pulling apart the spring from the plug so I put is back together but this time a gave it some slack, what do you know the horn works now.

Here is a pic.

312d
07-04-2014, 06:46 AM
you can put silver or copper epoxy paste on there to complete the circuit. i would use the thing that you buy to repare the defroster's thin lines across the windshield. Permatex have a kit, i dont know where i put the package to show you.

EZoilburner
07-06-2014, 12:06 AM
It is hard to believe they want over $100 for this part, they are nothing but a coil wire and plastic housing; still, the next time I pull the steering wheel I will put in a new one. Thanks.