PDA

View Full Version : Headlights out... (Big Sigh)

PubRider
01-17-2013, 10:29 PM
So last night I went to go to the airport and no lights. They worked in the morning and now they don't.

No low beams
No high beams

But the high beams will work if I pull and hold the lever in the "flash" position

http://youtu.be/43A5VDesunE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PubRider
01-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Checked fuses and bulbs and the parking lights work...

Marker and city/parking lights do work

NelsonSprinter
01-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Have you tried removing and reinstalling the relays?
Knocking on the column fusebox?
unplugging and reinstalling the connector behind the headlights?
Seen any green powder on any of those connections?
Installed any aftermarket trailer wiring?

autostaretx
01-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Fuses... start by checking fuse 4 in block 2 (the position may differ in your vehicle)... it's the only one that affects both sides.

The other likely culprit is that the "multi-function switch" (the thing with all the stalks) has broken.

(plus everything NelsonSprinter said)

--dick
p.s. download the 2003 and 2006 service manuals from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
.. the headlamp wiring is covered in section 8W - 50 in the wiring chapter

PubRider
01-21-2013, 11:23 PM
So it looks like at this point its the Multifuntion switch...

I have no voltage on any fuses related to the low and highbeams???

Has anyone repaired these? I have an electronics back ground and looks like it would be a breeze.

There is a Chinese one but I'm a little concerned as far as quality.

I cut corner on a Chinese resonator and I'm regretting not getting the German one because the quality was so much better...

skydiver007
01-21-2013, 11:32 PM
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20972

surlyoldbill
01-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Does anyone else think it's weird that a lot of us get the same problems at about the same time? The headlight problem has been spreading like the flu.

Aqua Puttana
01-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Does anyone else think it's weird that a lot of us get the same problems at about the same time? The headlight problem has been spreading like the flu.

:laughing:

I'b about ta agree wit chu, sniff sniff bud my prublem issss my turnsignals. vic

PubRider
01-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Maybe back to the drawing board then... :idunno::idunno::idunno:

Aqua Puttana
01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
So it looks like at this point its the Multifuntion switch...

I have no voltage on any fuses related to the low and highbeams???

Have you traced the circuitry to verify the commonality? On my 2004 I know for certain that the high beams will only work as Euro flash when only DRL's have the low beams on. They will not latch and come on full time unless the stalk switch end is twisted to the correct position. My DRL low beams come on with no selection of the stalk switch.

My guess is that the DRL's might not be going through the stalk switch. I have not explored the schematics so let me repeat that is a guess. Maybe the stalk switch is the problem? ... maybe not. :idunno: It just seems that DRL's should bring on the low beams all the time. Are your other running lights working?

The search in the blue bar above can be your friend. When looking for procedures I do an advanced search and select Write-ups. That narrows down the hits and reduces confusion. Try to be concise with your search words. A word like "turn" should also bring up "turnsignal" or other combinations.

This is just one of the hits.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23079&highlight=turn+switch

I recall threads where DIY repair of the stalk switch was outlined. Maybe try "amazingmrfixit" as a member name in the advanced search?

Have fun. vic

PubRider
01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Lights started to work for a little this morning...

This morning I hit the bacon strips button for more heat and about half way to work I heard a weird light tapping...

Then I let go of the stalk and I had lights without having to hold lever back...

ShortBuggy
12-21-2014, 02:05 AM
My 2006 just developed the same problem, so what was your fix, a new MFS? Thanks.

No low beams
No high beams

But the high beams will work if I pull and hold the lever in the "flash" position

lindenengineering
12-21-2014, 11:37 AM
My 2006 just developed the same problem, so what was your fix, a new MFS? Thanks.

No low beams
No high beams

Yes sling a new one on!
You can buy aftermarket from Advanced Auto for about $85.
I tend to install "Gen you wine" from MB at about $185 a pop.
Dodgy Boys price is outrageous!

All this stuff is fairly common so far as failures are concerned like door latches and handles. I can think of three lux car makes that exhibit the same issues!
BUT that stated they are not as bad as Lucas fitted to many Brit cars of the 1970/80's so take heart!
Its not your granddads' Oldsmobile these days.
Dennis

Aqua Puttana
12-21-2014, 01:21 PM
For DIY types there has been some success repairing the switch. My procedure would be to assure the part is in stock locally before embarking upon the repair route. Electrical parts are most often non-returnable.

Some info is here:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10339&highlight=switch

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10876&highlight=switch

Just a possible option.

vic

ShortBuggy
12-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.

I've owned my buggy for 4 years and have "upgraded" many parts thanks to the posts here on the Sprinter-Forum. Special thanks to Doktor A who's advice on turbo resonators and the transmission's high service maintenance procedure helped me talk to mechanics.

Never had electrical issues until this week, so doing my homework before I ask for help from my trucker friends... I have limited DIY skills and its winter.

Fuses good, relays look ok, no other problems except high and low beams which suddenly failed at 4:30am after 1.5 hours of highway driving during an 8 hundred mile trip.
I had the heat cranked so maybe a connection melted (solder reflow) in or behind the fuse panel in the steering column.
Homework done, time for a beer.