PDA

View Full Version : Transmission shifter problem

mover_boy
01-17-2013, 07:39 PM
So I bought this van recently and it has some issues with the shifter. Sometimes it's hard to move it form P to D and I get some kind of a knock, after it when I try to put it into R or N the display shows me that it's still in DRIVE and the van can go only around 20 mph. Sometimes it goes well and I don't have any issues.

The seller gave me another shifter when I bought the van and and changesd it but it didn't solve the problem. I took it to a diagnostics shop and they said that it looks like shifter issue to them and advised me to get a new one. It's $614 plus tax from a dealer.

I just wanted to find out if somebody here had to deal with similar problem in the past. Any input would be appreciated.

Eric Experience
01-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Mover boy.
Yes Lionel had this one. It was caused by a faulty earth wire under the dash. Just follow the brown wire from the shifter to the dash and you will find the earth stud has been painted. Just clean the paint of the stud and reconnect and the jobs done. Eric

mover_boy
01-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Who is Lionel?

And this repair seems too simple :hmmm:

Eric Experience
01-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Mover boy.
Lionel is a member of this forum. Most sprinter repairs are simple when you take the time to diagnose things properly. Eric.