PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Success Story

willrwilli
01-16-2013, 04:41 AM
I bought my 03 Sprinter in August and the glow plug light was on at the time of the purchase. This is my first diesel and I used that as a negotiating tool. They offered to take $100.00 off the price. Upon a quick search I felt that would cover most of the cost so I bought the vehicle. Well as all of you reading this know changing glow plugs on a Sprinter is much more involved than just a quick turn of the wrench. I have been putting off getting them fixed because of the uncertainty. Everyone quoted prices ranging from $500.00 to $2000.00 depending on what breaks and what doesn't. Living in Cleveland, Ohio and having a hard time starting the van I finally made an appointment with my local Freightliner dealer. I chose them because they had a cheaper labor rate than any Dodge or Mercedes dealer, and I figured since they were a Freightliner dealer 90% of what they work on are diesel engines. Well I am pleased to say that ALL of the glow plugs came out in one piece and the total job with parts was $948.00. Minus the parts and sales tax I figure labor was only about 6 or 7 hours. I have never been that happy to spend almost $1000.00. This van is an old Fed Ex van with over 300K so I think I should be ok for the rest of the time I own this vehicle. What a relief.