PDA

View Full Version : SUCCESS!!!

EZoilburner
01-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Got one :cheers:. Today I drove to PA and became the owner of a 2003 sprinter high top 158"wb, drove her 200 miles back home not a single problem so far. The van was cold I think and it started right up, transmission feels alright but I'm sure it needs a bunch of work which I will tackle in the next few day. First it needs to pass MD inspection then to the details.

One thing I noticed is the transmission will shift through the gears too fast and end with a high gear when it is only going 30mph, on the highway it feels very good and I can make it downshift and up-shift with the selector on the shifter but I have to put a lot of pedal travel IN to get it to kit out of the high gear and downshift on it own if I don't want to use the selector.

Thanks for the good advise on the several threads on the forum, I will hope I can set an appointment soon with the good Doctor so she can start life with Me on the right foot and to start she should get check by the Master.

talkinghorse43
01-16-2013, 12:28 AM
One thing I noticed is the transmission will shift through the gears too fast and end with a high gear when it is only going 30mph, on the highway it feels very good and I can make it downshift and up-shift with the selector on the shifter but I have to put a lot of pedal travel IN to get it to kit out of the high gear and downshift on it own if I don't want to use the selector.

Might be some sort of limp home mode (vacuum pressure controller issue leading to low/no boost?), so a code read by the good Doktor with his DRB-III is in order.

EZoilburner
01-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Might be some sort of limp home mode (vacuum pressure controller issue leading to low/no boost?), so a code read by the good Doktor with his DRB-III is in order.

Really? The van feels good and pulls really hard I didn't even pushed much at all, it goes up on rpms just fine and all is it still possible the lhm is present?

talkinghorse43
01-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Can't be sure of course, but those tranny symptoms are unusual for me except for when the vacuum line to the turbo vane positioner was once disconnected.

EZoilburner
01-16-2013, 12:51 AM
One other thing I read not long ago when one of this vans gets hit it sets a code that will not allow it to lock the doors? I put new batteries on the remote and I see the little red light blinking but it wont lock the doors and after some playing (long) with the lock button on the center console it locked the two front doors but I can't get the rear door to lock yet I hear the actuator move like on the other doors. This rear door I can tell it hit something while backing up, is it a little vent but there is no damage to the door, I can see the inside sound deadener material came either from the hit or from someone banging it back to straight so it is possible the ECM set a code for that right.

Thanks.

talkinghorse43
01-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Sounds more like the spring-loaded contacts on the rear door(s) aren't making good electrical contact.

NelsonSprinter
01-16-2013, 02:43 AM
It's not LHM. Your Tranny acts just like mine when light on the pedal, moderate acceleration into fifth gear by 30MPH. I've heard it's just low torque into the tranny will gear up sooner, others have said a scanner is needed to reset the transmission adaptation values.
A fast acceleration will have fifth engaging at 50MPH

Boater
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
So the solution is to "drive it like you stole it"? :shifty:

I'm glad I don't have auto transmission! Sometimes my manual transmission goes into too high a gear too soon, or too low a gear too early but that's on account of the monkey in the driving seat. :D:

Aqua Puttana
01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
It's not LHM. Your Tranny acts just like mine when light on the pedal, moderate acceleration into fifth gear by 30MPH. I've heard it's just low torque into the tranny will gear up sooner, others have said a scanner is needed to reset the transmission adaptation values.
A fast acceleration will have fifth engaging at 50MPH
That's basically what I find too. I'm light on the throttle most of the time. Every so often up an entry ramp I get on it hard to look for dark exhaust with the typical "What are you doing?" response from my co-pilot. Since I changed my O2 sensor (some time ago now) all has been good with the exhaust.

The transmission is adaptive. It may have adapted to the previous driver(s). Responses could change after some miles are clocked by a new driver.

At an early opportunity I would drain the pan, TC fluid, change filter/connector body, refill with MB236.14 spec fluid, and see what happens.

Good luck. Enjoy your Sprinter. vic

Oilburner
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
I have similar problem. It is going to 4th gear too soon. 20K on MB ATF fluid, including TC. Wondering, when it will adapt to my personality :) .

sailquik
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
EZOilBurner,
You can take it to a full service MB Sprinter dealer and they can scan for all the genuine MB DTC's
and at the sme time reset your "adaptive" on the transmission.
You've only had the van a few days....what makes you think it has a transmission issue?
Sounds perfectly normal to me.
NAG-1 transmissions are pretty notorious for not wanting to "auto downshift" or even to downshift
when you simply press the pedal down firmly.
You need to really back off and hammer the pedal to force a quick downshift.
Downshifting manually is the far better way to go!
P.S. Might want to get a ScanGauge II so you have some idea of what is really going on with your
engine management/trans interface systems! With out this ....you have no idea!!!
Roger

david_42
01-16-2013, 04:06 PM
My 2004 tries to shift into 5th around 20 mph when cold. This started after the 80K service. The shop used Amsoil, which seems to have a different viscosity curve from the OEM fluid. Two taps on the shifter and it's happy. I can go back to normal operation after 3-4 minutes or 40 mph, whichever happens first.

Since this is my first automatic, shifting occasionally is no big deal. I'll downshift when I'm approaching a long hill and occasionally going down hills.

talkinghorse43
01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Mine won't shift into 5th on very low LOD until ~45 mph indicated (~42 by GPS), but can be forced into 5th as low as 40 mph indicated by hitting + on the SLA (again very low LOD). Also will shift up to 5th if I completely remove my foot from the accelerator as low as ~40 mph indicated.