PDA

View Full Version : Brake switch problem

mishak
01-15-2013, 09:49 PM
OK, so I had the classic: "Can't shift out of Park and got no brake lights". Replaced the brake switch, I can now get it out of "Park", but the brake lights are all "ON" all the time!

Help, please. BTW, it's a 2002.

mustang281
01-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Make sure the piece that moves in and out on the spring is not getting bound up and coming out all the way. Ive had to do 4 switches so far i dont understand but never have had your problem

mishak
01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Oh, and also, there's a spring that runs from the brake pedal upwards, behind the fuse panel. It fell out when I was taking the faulty switch out, and now I can't seem to figure out what it hooks onto at the top.

mustang281
01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Id say that spring takes pressure of the switch it comes up to a bracket on the center of the column right below a red electrical connector

mishak
01-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I don't think the spring not being hooked up is the problem. Even before I installed the switch, I connected the wires, turned on the engine, and the brake lights were all on. This was with the plastic plunger fully extended.

mishak
01-17-2013, 08:34 PM
OK, I've got it all sorted out! DIY/novice isssues. I did not really understand the "self-adjusting" part of the switch and before I even installed the new switch, I pushed the plunger in all the way. Bad move. So, all I did to make it work properly was: push the brake pedal in hard, pull out on the plastic piston with a pair of needle nosed pliers (until it hit the brake lever), and then release the brake pedal.

Thanks for your suggestions and happy motoring!