PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensor, no cruise and no traction control

JohnnyWheelz
01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi folks,
Few weeks ago I had new OEM Conti tires installed all around and also the inner and outer tire rods, now my cluster look like a Christmas tree, ABS light is on, check engine light is on and the tire spin light.
While they removed the tire rods I know they used a torch to heat it up on the left wheel so I'm quite sure the cooked the sensor, the mech. also agreed w me so they got me a new ABS sensor, they installed the new sensor but the problem is still there.
I can't use the cruise control, ESP is not preventing wheel slip on ice/snow and most importantly I have no ABS.
Tried diagnosing the problem using a friends OBD II Launch code scanner but it won't communicate w the ABS computer.

I really don't want to take it to the dealer so is there an other option, an OBD II scanner I can use or buy for a reasonable price that will communicate w the ABS?
Is there a procedure to reset the ABS light other than w a scanner?
What are my options here?

BTW I checked the fuses and if it matters the brake lights and speedometer work fine as well.

Any help is much appreciated.

THANK YOU
Johnny...

Aqua Puttana
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Closely inspect all the sensors and harnesses on all the wheels for damage. They may have screwed up more than just one in the process of changing the tires. The heat from a torch can fan out quite a bit. Inspect the harnesses deeper in and above too. Good luck. vic

JohnnyWheelz
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks Vic, I'll go through everything hopefully before the wknd.

Is there an OBDII scanner tool that I can use to try reseting the warning, I hear even though the problem might be fixed warning lights won't go away unless the trouble codes are reset, is that right?

Thanks again

autostaretx
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
I hear even though the problem might be fixed warning lights won't go away unless the trouble codes are reset, is that right?
That depends upon what triggered the light(s).
The Check Engine Light will usually go away if you've had three start/stop cycles without a recurrence.
I'd expect the "spinning wheel" light to go out when the sensors are all happy about wheel speeds.

The service manual only says (about re-installing the sensor after similar activity):
(5) Install the ABS sensor by pushing the sensor all the way into the knuckle and the sensor will self adjust when the wheel is turned.
(and, elsewhere):
(8) Install the ABS sensor all the way into the steering knuckle, the sensor will adjust automatically when the vehicle is moved (Fig. 9).

They don't mention the need to do anything else (such as "clear the code")

If you download the 2003 service manual from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
the ABS sensors and operation are covered starting at page 5-29

--dick

JohnnyWheelz
01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks Dick,
I'm guessing I'm gonna need to replace each sensor one by one till I get the trouble codes out!

As for the check engine light, I checked it and cleared it not long ago, I think that has to do with one of my glow plugs/heater malfunctioning, light goes away and comes back once in a while.

But the ABS is driving nuts and honestly scared sometimes in those wet road drives, I've needed it a few times, saved my ass...

Thanks for the help guys...

Aqua Puttana
01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
My experience is that as a general rule once the issue which caused the ABS light to come on is corrected, the light(s) will go off. It's not anything at all like when the transmission sets a LHM lockout which remains until the TCM is reset even after the problem is corrected.

As Dick indicated, there may be exceptions. I wouldn't sweat it yet. vic

Boater
01-14-2013, 10:52 PM
If a torch was used presumably a hammer was needed in conjunction with it - you should check the tone ring (usually called reluctor ring in UK) for damage in case it is deformed and no longer close enough to the sensor to generate pulses.
I can't help any more, I have a traction control issue but have not had a chance to investigate it yet, no point spending money on that until I get the van running again..... I seem to recall from a quick look at a hub that the tone ring is pretty well hidden so my suggestion my be much harder to follow than it appears.

I would think the sensor wiring is long enough that heat wouldn't conduct significantly to the controller, but front left is the closest to it so I guess there is a small chance that the ABS module got damaged.

In the meantime you need to drive carefully - I only started since TC and ABS were invented but I try and drive as though I don't have them (well I don't on the sprinter due to a fault and my car doesn't have TC) and I have found I am rubbish at it!

JohnnyWheelz
01-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Dick, thanks for the link,
Thank you gents, Vik & Boater...
I'll keep you all posted if I figure it out or not!.

Johnny