PDA

View Full Version : 2004 170" 4 cyl??? 15 passenger Van in US???

Nuke
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Hello

I have been a member of this site for about 6 months now trying to learn as much as I can.

I am looking at a van advertised as a 2004 3500 170" with a 4 cylinder and 4 wheel drive (I think that is a mistake) 272k miles for @ 9k. 15 passenger van, guy says he used it for transporting children and stopped that business so getting rid of van.

My brother lives 30 mi away from it so I'm asking him to take a look at it for me.

I don't know much about the 4 cyl. I think it is a OM611??? There were 3 power ratings? How can I identify which one this van might have? Does the 4 cyl have enough guts? I will be retiring to the mountains of TN. Anything I should have my brother look for specifically? I don't think the 4 cyl have the "Black Death" the 5 cyl have. What might a 15 passenger van have that a cargo won't? Advantages or disadvantages? Can you steer me towards more info on the 4 cyl.?

sikwan has already said that 4 cyl were not in the US so now I am wondering if it really is a 170Ē or 158, how can I tell? If he doesnít know what he has for the add maybe it isnít even a 2004. Suggestions? Input? If it is a 5 cyl any warnings with that kind of mileage on it beside pulling cover to check for black death?

I am 56, looking for something to make slight mods to like a fold down back bed, port-a-potty (4 wife), storage, maybe convert the seats to maybe a couple facing forward and maybe 2 behind the driver facing sideways, like a table setting. Not a full RV but something quickly convertable

I am mechanically inclined and looking at a yearlong tour at an Air Force base with an extensive DIY auto repair shop. So I am figuring things like brakes, rotors, axle bearings etc. I can replace at the base shop.

Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated

david_42
01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
I doubt it is a 4-cylinder and it's really unlikely to be a 4x4, but the 15 passenger van would have to be a 170". It might have the rear A/C, that's a big lump on the roof towards the back. The rear springs on a passenger van are different, they have two leafs and ride better lightly loaded.

272K isn't much for one of these vans. You'd definitely want to see the maintenance records, though.

Nuke
01-14-2013, 04:29 PM
David,
thanks for the input
where in OR?
I am looking at a 1 year Laison Officer position at Ft. Lewis/McCord to the Air Force this May
looking forward to getting a van to work on and some salmon/steelhead fishing
and maybe some elk/blacktail hunting

Nuke
01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Okay I called the guy, heavy accent difficulty understanding
But I don't hold that against him, just difficult to comunicate
says NO No no all that year have 2.7 5 cyl, so sorry for mistake
says has cold rear A/C works good, asked if it has any leaks
and he said okay you come look, asked about maintenance records
and he said okayÖ??? I'm wondering if it was used for transporting children
if it might have had some sort of different registration requirements
or maintenance stuff, ya I know wishful thinking, but one can be hopeful.

Iím also trying to get this silly avatar to work to post a pix under my username

Wife had made a comment about wanting windows to see out of when driving.
well she'll have enough. Guess we could set up some sort of shade or curtians or something.
limits building storage and bulkheads, if any wasn't really leaning that way anyway.
Maybe something over the rear where the fold down bed would be. Inteior pix look really nice. some sort of center ceiling strip with what looks like A/C vents and lights. All visible sides and ceiling are uphostlered really nice, so beats starting from scratch with a cargo van
should already be quite in there too huh?

Nuke
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
So here goes
I closed out all of my sprinter forum web pages
opened a new web window
sprinter form recognized me as already logged in
went to reply to this thread saw an option to include signature
which should be my pix
but I didn't see how the avatar would get linked below my username to the left
it looks to me I have all the defaults set so will see
I'm hoping for a pix to the left under my name
and i guess a pix on the bottom of this message in the message box
so here goes
sorry for the distraction from the point of the thread

Nuke
01-15-2013, 01:13 AM
This van is NOT a 4 cylinder
So now just looking for feedback on passenger vans
How can I tell weither it has the 5 speed or 6 speed tranny?
How about that fleet oil monitoring system?
How can you tell it it has that?
Is there a thread with how to read the data plates?
can we tell from that?

told my avatar looks fine
so trying again.
will see if I can see it

Nuke
01-15-2013, 01:15 AM
okay I don't see no avatar
so where is it,
and why am I being told someone else can see it fine?

ECU
01-15-2013, 02:31 AM
You can tell the 170 from pictures because the back wheels are between the rear two sets of windows, and the 170 has three sets of windows.
The passenger version has softer springs, windows and interior trim.
If you were to build some parts that don't need a window, simply cover it over. The outside won't look any different.
A 4x4 would be raised a bit over a standard. Also look for wheel locks or other 4wd type front axel.
I purchased mine with 297k miles. It is still going strong.

autostaretx
01-15-2013, 02:34 AM
How can I tell weither it has the 5 speed or 6 speed tranny?
All US Sprinters have the 5-speed automatic.
There's a *tiny* chance your candidate was sold by DMV (Daimler Motor Vans)... does it have a "bus-like" door for the passengers?
How about that fleet oil monitoring system?
How can you tell it it has that?
The oil-monitor isn't "fleet", it's simply called ASSYST.
(there is a "fleet" dipstick... yellow handle... it's meant to be read cold, instead of the usual red-handle "read when hot".
The only difference is that the red-handle reads about a half-quart low if done cold).. but that's totally different from ASSYST.
Is there a thread with how to read the data plates?
Given the VIN, any Dodge or Freightliner (as appropriate for your van's branding) or MB dealer's Parts Dept can fetch the "datacard" info that lists the installed options.
Post the VIN here and a helpful member (who has subscribed to MB's data system) might be able to fetch it.
can we tell from that?
Yes.
Another tell-tale is if there's a "blockage" gauge on the top of the air cleaner box. Open the hood and look to the left (passenger side).
It's a smaller cylinder on the top of the air filter box, with a white arc showing percent (%) airflow.
If it has that indicator, it has the ASSYST package.

good luck
--dick
(by the way, your avatar is working... with the same photo that's in your sig)

Nuke
01-15-2013, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the info
I'll have my brother look for the indictor on the air cleaner
He live about 30 mi away from the van, but can't get to it before dark until Saturday
Hope it lasts that long.
If my brother says it looks okay
I'll fly up hopefully early the next week
see if I can run it by a shop to check out
or try to talk to the shop that serviced his vehicle
and if all checks out buy it and rive it home.

Strange I can't see my own avatars and signatures
oh well

Thanks again for the info

david_42
01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
ASSYST To check if the van has it, press the left-most button below the speedometer. That's the trip mileage. Press it again. If you see a wrench (or two) and another number, it has ASSYST and that's the number of miles (or days) left before the next oil change. If the number is negative, most likely whomever has been changing the oil doesn't know how to reset the ASSYST.

I'm ~10 miles south of Portland.