PSM Programming

WPJ

So if you could get the PSM programed what would you program it to do?

You have the following information to build you program

You have 10 inputs, 3 active high, 3 active low and 4 analog, inputs can be switch or pushbutton

You have 20 outputs, outputs are 0.5A to 10A all are internally fused you have short circuit detection, some are positive and some provide ground when active.

You have the following logic, AND, NAND (not and), OR, NOR, XOR (exclusive OR), XNOR
You have the following Logic blocks, Timer Block, Counter Block, Flip Flop Block, Threshold Switch and Hysteresis Block

Logic and Logic Blocks can be combined to provide desired programing function.

Examples, a switch is activated, the parking brake is not activated and the vehicle is in Gear

So again what would your imagination come up with.

NBB

The high level info you cite on what the PSM does is readily available. I'm interested in how someone got the low level details on how to actually program one. The dealers certainly don't have access. Best of luck and definitely post details.

johnshmit

I would use $20 Arduino board or any other $2 AVR chip and program whatever i want in plain c.
But my problem is similar. What do i need it for?
So it would be nice to collect potential users input in one place and determine whether it worth a try

NBB

I would use $20 Arduino board or any other $2 AVR chip and program whatever i want in plain c.
That sound great - until you realize you need to decode the CAN bus. In detail. Arduino and AVR aren't fast enough. Best case you'll drop only 75% of your messages and have zero left to do anything else. The whole decoding thing is probably why PSM programming details are not readily available, IMO.

"the PSM"

I'm confused. :idunno:

PSM? The MB OEM controls or an aftermarket control module related to custom installed equipment? Sorry to be dense. vic

johnshmit

That sound great - until you realize you need to decode the CAN bus. In detail. Arduino and AVR aren't fast enough. Best case you'll drop only 75% of your messages and have zero left to do anything else. The whole decoding thing is probably why PSM programming details are not readily available, IMO.
No big deal: http://www.honeysw.com/canproject.php
In what particular scenario will you need a "CAN C" communication at all? For example.

WPJ

Hey all so here is my thoughts for my application, let me know if you think of any other uses as I can do a minor update.

I am going to get signals from the psm for auxiliary lighting controls. IE when turn signals are on, when the horn is pressed, when the hazards are on, when either a door is unlocked or open to activate surround lighting, when cornering lights are on, when low, high or del are on, when in reverse etc. Additionally it will have control the sliding door step and the variable high idel which are factory on my.

I also have a handful of inputs but I can't really think of an option to program f inputs if new switches etc.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
The Olimexino STM32 based board seems fine reading CAN at the 500k sprinter speed. Granted it costs $30, a few $ more than a toy arduino. ITs also industrial rated components.

owner

The high level info you cite on what the PSM does is readily available. I'm interested in how someone got the low level details on how to actually program one. The dealers certainly don't have access. Best of luck and definitely post details.
I had a play with the PSM in Erics new 315 4x4 using my Star Diag setup. Its all in there I don't know who told you they don't have access.

Anyway. I was thinking stuff like...
1. key is removed.
2. start timer.
3. allow electric windows to operate as normal until timer expires.
4. allow raising only of the windows after timer.
5. raise windows if rain is detected after timer.

I could have hours of fun with this, might even add a few easter eggs for Eric to discover!

WPJ

Interesting....I wish there was more info on this and how to get the dealer to do it with out jumping through hoops...

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Interesting....I wish there was more info on this and how to get the dealer to do it with out jumping through hoops...
It might be your van, but it's filled to the gills with Daimler's intellectual property (IP).

Your purchase price doesn't include a right to the documentation required to properly execute a modification.

You just have the right to energize modules and drive the van you bought.

To change that, you'd need to sign a Daimler non-disclosure agreement (with teeth), present a business case and a compelling story about why Daimler will get continued revenue from you (licensing royalties) in exchange for your getting access to the specs.

Even then they'd either say "no," or they'd watch how much money you're making off the information you'd paid 'em to get a Daimler library card (so to speak).... if you weren't successful enough, they'd reject renewing the agreement. If you made enough money, they'd consider acquiring your business to improve their own product(s).

You didn't buy a "modder's delight," or a "kit" car.

You bought a van, yes, but you're only licensed to use Daimler IP, not access specs and make adjustments.

Didn't Daimler buy controlling interest in AMG because AMG got too uppity, made more money than Daimler thought they should off of their access to Daimler IP?

Important stuff this intellectual property.

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Does this imply you have a Star system working on an NCV3? Where did you get it?
He's in Australia, using it on Australian Sprinters.

I'm not sure US/Canadian NCV3s are sufficiently similar to draw the conclusion that the clones work on All NCV3s, world wide.

-Jon

johnshmit

It might be your van, but it's filled to the gills with Daimler's intellectual property (IP).

Your purchase price doesn't include a right to the documentation required to properly execute a modification.

You just have the right to energize modules and drive the van you bought.

To change that, you'd need to sign a Daimler non-disclosure agreement (with teeth), present a business case and a compelling story about why Daimler will get continued revenue from you (licensing royalties) in exchange for your getting access to the specs.

Even then they'd either say "no," or they'd watch how much money you're making off the information you'd paid 'em to get a Daimler library card (so to speak).... if you weren't successful enough, they'd reject renewing the agreement. If you made enough money, they'd consider acquiring your business to improve their own product(s).

You didn't buy a "modder's delight," or a "kit" car.

You bought a van, yes, but you're only licensed to use Daimler IP, not access specs and make adjustments.

Didn't Daimler buy controlling interest in AMG because AMG got too uppity, made more money than Daimler thought they should off of their access to Daimler IP?

Important stuff this intellectual property.

-Jon
This is my van filled with my property.
If they disagree, they can take their property back at any moment for a complete refund.
I did agree, that if i mess with it I will lose my warranty, but nothing else.

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
This is my van filled with my property.
If they disagree, they can take their property back at any moment for a complete refund.
I did agree, that if i mess with it I will lose my warranty, but nothing else.
... and that is where the big disconnect is between we owners and Daimler.
It really is their position. You can disagree - and you're not alone; I'm right there with you - but they'll never hand over the programming specs to you just because our name's on the title of one of their products.

You don't own their programming specs. I'd be fine with a class action law suit to change that.

-Jon

Last edited:

WPJ

Ill sign up on that one jon, as they document clearly that the PSM module is there for you to customize and to interface correctly with the vehical but they dont; tell you how...

owner

All I can say is, it works for me. And given that I can see options and references for NCV3s from markets all over the world in my setup, including nafta, I have to say id be surprised if it didnt work. How else is a dealer supposed to diagnose these there, especially mb branded ones. Their only option is star.

The psm is there for upfitters. Its not there for end users.

Top Bottom