PDA

View Full Version : Baja Mexico Bound

ronr2440
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
We are planning to take our sprinter RV on a caravan trip about 1/2 way down the Baja to the grey whale calving grounds outside of Guerrero Negro in February (Guerrero Negro is a few miles into Baja Sur). I have been trying to find out if the Pemex stations have ULSD and have gotten mixed answers. If the stations don't have ULSD, what kind of mechanical problems would I cause by running about 50 gallons of regular diesel through my 2008 MB V-6 engine? Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

jdcaples
01-13-2013, 06:48 PM
You can risk emissions system fouling, a check engine light, probable reduced power output (called "limp"), perhaps EGR valve, EGR cooling, EGR temp sensor fouling, swirl valve fouling and maybe even premature diesel particulate filter failure.

Or you could get lucky and get away with it. 50 gallons? I suppose you could take four or five containers - 5 gallon jugs - of ULSD and dilute the LSD to hedge your bet, but 15 ppm is the engine design spec and 500 ppm is the manufacturing spec for LSD.

Life's all about adventure. Is this a ride you'd enjoy enough to take the risk?

-Jon

GaryJ
01-13-2013, 08:03 PM
ronr2440,

First, let me say that that's a trip worth taking, but once you've gone that far, getting over to the Gulf of California and to the Bahia Concepcion really rounds out the trip. That gets you to quiet bay waters and great beach camping. It has been 6 years since we went down the Baja, so I can't tell you about the fuel availability there now.

Having driven over 15K miles in Mexico (mainland) in the last 7 years, most of those in our diesel motorhome, I've yet to see any ULSD information on a Pemex pump. The 5 cylinder versions I have will run on either fuel. I've been told that there's ULSD in the border areas that's imported from the U.S. so visitors can buy fuel on either side.

I'll try to remember to check the diesel pump next week when we go by the Pemex station.

Gary

scootr29
01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Have you looked into engine tunes that are out there...there is a company called Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) out of MI that is doing some good things for the OM642 in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. They even have a DPF delete that may work for the Sprinter equipped OM642.....

http://greendieselengineering.com/goPage.do?method=home

dukepilot
01-15-2013, 06:32 PM
We (Custom Spooling) have several customers with 2007-09 NCV3 Sprinters who frequently visit Mexico. They installed our DPF Delete Tune as a precaution to prevent fouling their DPF on Pemex diesel fuel. I've received positive feedback from these customers with regard to the performance and reliability of our tunes. Installing our tune involves removing the filter element from the DPF canister. DPF modification is not reversible and is not legal for public road use in the USA. Our tuning kit for 2007-2009 NCV3 Sprinter is $1125, not including DPF canister modification. The kit includes a flash tool and a performance tune as well as an economy tune. Contact me, peter@customspooling.com for more info.