PDA

View Full Version : Rear A/C question on passenger wagom

BESLC
01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
I am about to order a 2008 144" wheelbase Sprinter passenger wagon. I live in Utah where we have some temperature extremes, winter and summer. My first question , is the rear A/C necessary or will the front cool the back adequately? If rear A/C is recommended is there an after market A/C that does not require the roof mount? I have two issues with the roof mount... one, the look is not that great, second is the added height. If there is an aftermarket A/C. what is the brand, cost and user opinions? Thank you for your time and comments.

sikwan
01-05-2008, 06:56 PM
This discussion is for the T1N...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1935&highlight=rear+a%2Fc

...but I think it applies to most vans, even minivans, with that third row seating.

I don't know of an aftermarket A/C option for the NCV3.

hkpierce
01-05-2008, 06:59 PM
This is a picture of people in the van in Utah at 100 degrees outside and a non-working AC. Do they look happy? No. Get the AC in the rear.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hkp255/T2552007HighAdventure/photo#5117634203984270066

sikwan
01-06-2008, 05:23 AM
:laughing: Classic! :clapping:

anomaly
01-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I am about to order a 2008 144" wheelbase Sprinter passenger wagon. I live in Utah where we have some temperature extremes, winter and summer. My first question , is the rear A/C necessary or will the front cool the back adequately? If rear A/C is recommended is there an after market A/C that does not require the roof mount? I have two issues with the roof mount... one, the look is not that great, second is the added height. If there is an aftermarket A/C. what is the brand, cost and user opinions? Thank you for your time and comments.

I've got a 2007 passenger wagon with rear air. We were a bit nervous about the height, too. We have the 144" standard roof, and we're VERY happy with that and the rear air. The total height is 8'6" with the A/C, which means that we can't go into parking garages, nor park in a garage at our house (which we don't have anyway) but that's the only restriction we've hit so far, and it turns out to not be a big deal for us. We can still go through drive throughs, and my wife is able to stand up straight in the standard roof.

No question that the rear A/C is very important for rear seat passengers. I'm glad that we considered it a mandatory feature. If I had it to do all over again, I'd make sure that the van had the rear heat option, too. Thankfully it doesn't get very cold in Maryland winters. The heat in the front will eventually get some warmth to the back, but it would be more comfortable if there was a heat source closer to the kids.

kendall69
01-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Don't even consider ordering it WITHOUT rear air.

I drove 10 kids to a school event 100 degree temps no rear air ( it wasn't working) and all had bright red cheeks, and complained the whole ride.

I thought the front could handle it, but couldn't even handle keeping just my daughter cool in the first rear seat.

tegimr
01-07-2008, 03:06 AM
I've got a 2007 passenger wagon with rear air. . . .

No question that the rear A/C is very important for rear seat passengers. I'm glad that we considered it a mandatory feature. If I had it to do all over again, I'd make sure that the van had the rear heat option, too. Thankfully it doesn't get very cold in Maryland winters. The heat in the front will eventually get some warmth to the back, but it would be more comfortable if there was a heat source closer to the kids.

Agree with anomaly completely. The AC was a *MUST* when we were looking. We have a 2003. Our AC has no visible outside unit like Anomaly has on his Sprinter. We can make it through the drive-through and into the garage - when we don't have another project or toy in the way. Clears by about 2 inches :thumbup:

Tim