PDA

View Full Version : REST Operation

flman
01-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Just wondering, is a pump activated with this, or just the blower, the heat does not last very long considering the amount of heat that should be left in the engine? I looked in the OM and FSM and could not find any good details? This is on my 2005 T1N.

cahaak
01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes, the electric coolant pump is activated by this. Basically, pump on, blower on low for 20 minutes. It does a decent job maintaining some cabin temps, but can't deliver the heat like you can with the vehicle hot and running. If you are not getting very much for duration, make sure that your electric water pump is working. You should be able to feel it running by placing your hand on it in the REST mode.

Chris

flman
01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes, the electric coolant pump is activated by this. Basically, pump on, blower on low for 20 minutes. It does a decent job maintaining some cabin temps, but can't deliver the heat like you can with the vehicle hot and running. If you are not getting very much for duration, make sure that your electric water pump is working. You should be able to feel it running by placing your hand on it in the REST mode.

Chris

Nope, not running, I will have to get the meter out and check for voltage.

jb21cri
01-11-2013, 09:03 PM
a common problem are the brushes wearing out.i rebuilt mine with brushes that had to be modified slightly to fit,not hard if you are mechanically inclined.there are a few write-ups on here if you do a search.jb

flman
01-11-2013, 09:49 PM
a common problem are the brushes wearing out.i rebuilt mine with brushes that had to be modified slightly to fit,not hard if you are mechanically inclined.there are a few write-ups on here if you do a search.jb

Yeah, I saw them, I will prolly just throw a new pump on if that is what it needs? Maybe save the old one for a future rebuild I have the van that long?

cahaak
01-12-2013, 01:55 AM
look around when you get the pump, there are a few threads on it here. When I had to replace mine, I got it at autohaus and I think it was around $65.

Chris

Missouri Blue
01-12-2013, 02:33 AM
I just bought a pump on 12/27/12 from Amazon "Bosch 392020026 Electric Water Pump" for $73.18 with free shipping. I think at the time Autohaus was a few dollars cheaper but I didn't want to have to enter all my info on another website.

bc339
01-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Autohaus must have realized what a good deal that price was. I just checked - it's more than doubled at $132.52, Bosch p/n 0392020026.
Yikes!
I bought about 4 pairs of brushes recently to keep them going - follow this post by hkpierce: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13546

Bruce

mean_in_green
01-12-2013, 09:12 AM
REST works. Sort of...

talkinghorse43
01-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Nope, not running, I will have to get the meter out and check for voltage.

Once, when my pump wasn't running, I found one of the wires inside the female connector was corroded through. I took the connector apart and resoldered the wires. My other pump failures (lost track, but I think 6 now - last one about a week ago) have been due to worn brushes - or when Europarts was selling a non-magnetic drive pump; leaking shaft seal (2 of those).

flman
01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Once, when my pump wasn't running, I found one of the wires inside the female connector was corroded through. I took the connector apart and resoldered the wires. My other pump failures (lost track, but I think 6 now - last one about a week ago) have been due to worn brushes - or when Europarts was selling a non-magnetic drive pump; leaking shaft seal (2 of those).

Well, I did not even test it yet, it is wet out, and I just don't want to tackle it at the moment, but I will let you know the verdict when I get to it. I am sure the next time I am setting in the van on standby cold, I might just do a little trouble shooting?

davisdave
01-13-2013, 06:47 PM
i cut the wire in the dash that goes to the pump and installed a switch. when the engine is running, i turn it off. hopefully, the last pump i will buy.

flman
01-21-2013, 06:46 PM
i cut the wire in the dash that goes to the pump and installed a switch. when the engine is running, i turn it off. hopefully, the last pump i will buy.

Since you already ran the wire, why not connect a relay to the accessory terminal under the seat that is hot with engine on, and the relay can do the switching for you? :thumbup:

BTW, I still did not look at my pump. :snore:

davisdave
01-22-2013, 07:43 PM
i rewired it as part of the mod to run with engine off. i did my mod with three separate switches instead of using the relays. now, the factory REST and "heater booster" buttons on the dash are not hooked up...buuuut...i can:

1) run the heater booster with engine off or on
2) turn OFF water pump when engine running
3) turn on dash fan only with key off
4) turn on dash fan and water pump with engine off...REST.
5) turn on water pump with engine off to hear if it is working:shifty:

had Epiphany: water pump normally only works with REST? the water pump does not run with "heater booster", which normally only works with engine running? therefore, i will probably wear this pump out, dangit!