antifreeze for 2005, 2500

whoops! I lost some coolant while repairing aux.heat pump, can I mix a compatible coolant to what is in it now, which is blue mercedes oem product so I have been told. the owners manual list 5 different coolants.

mholbrook38

I used to hang out at an Independent BMW place and they only used MB antifreeze in all their customer's cars. My friend specialized in BMW, MB, Acura/Honda.

cahaak

While we all appreciate the devotion to the brand. MB does not make antifreeze. The G-05 meets the specs and is called out in the manual, there is nothing wrong with it.

Chris

sailquik

Chris/Vic,
Daimler in Germany may not "make" the special MB brand Glysantin based anti freeze/coolant, but they sure as heck sell it.
Look at the first 2 entries on the MB Bevo 325.0.
My fear is that what you get at the local auto parts store might be what you need, and then again they may try to substitute.
Roger

shortshort

Dis member
That's nothing. To this day there are folks who believe only Harley brand oil should go in a Harley. Boggles the mind. Did I mention I just spent something like $25 a qt for convention diff fluid because it said MB on it?

Look at the first 2 entries on the MB Bevo 325.0.
Seriously???? You don't think that any company wouldn't put their products first on the list?

On second thought I guess you're right. MB put their products first because each and every container gets an individual inspection at the factory before being shipped. :dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm:

My fear is that what you get at the local auto parts store might be what you need, and then again they may try to substitute.
Roger
I guess that I think our members are smarter than that so I give them the options available.

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but not everyone has a dealership nearby or the deep pockets necessary once they pass through the front doors. :cheers: vic

sailquik

Vic,
MB is no different than the other major car mfg's.
They put out a spec for the coolant, and one of the major automotive/truck chemical/coolant companies makes the coolant to the spec
and puts in containers with the MB logo and approvals.

On the other thing, sorry to disappoint... my fav dealer is 170 miles and a min. 3 hours away around the Wash, DC beltway.
However they are very good at Sprinters, nearly everyone I've suggested to go to them has come away with solutions to the issues
they needed fixed.
Also, they have a discounted commercial rate for Sprinters.
They don't do all the interior and exterior detailing that they would do on a Mercedes luxury sedan/sports car/SUV so they charge
a reduced hourly labor rate.
They have solved a number of issues that no other Sprinter dealer (Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes Benz) could solve.
They are not afraid to contact MB Compliance Engineering for the customers benefit and they have been able to get me some
parts from Germany that I could only source through our friends in the UK and Germany.
They contacted MB Engineering in Germany and found the programming required to do a "post factory" complete trailer package
(including the Trailer Stability Assist) install that another dealer had installed by could not get the electronics to work.
So, I only need to visit them every 10k miles, I drive up to Mechanicsburg, PA the night before, stay in an inexpensive motel,
take the Sprinter in when they open in the AM, and I'm back home by the following evening.
They sell the correct spec. Mobil 1 5w-40 ESP oil for my NCV3 Sprinters for around $6.50/qt.
I'm very happy with this arrangement because if anything happens to my Sprinter, they take care of it.
When I recently hit the deer, they sent a pickup with a huge flatbed trailer to where the Sprinter was parked and
took it back to their shop.
Works for me! Very good cost per mile overall.....specially if I can quit hitting bambis in the middle of the night!
Roger

Last edited:

Roger,
Well OK. We all blurt out random things during these meanders. I generally support good dealerships on here when others jump to rag on them. I'm glad that you found a great dealership.

The original question was "antifreeze for 2005, 2500". Zerex G 05 (G05) meets the BEVO specs without any restrictions. If that means nothing and people need to buy MB branded fluids then there is no reason for BEVO to exist. Plenty of owners get many trouble free miles and proper repairs using independent shops for service after the warranty is no longer in effect. I'm done. vic

chads

After loosing a little fluid changing the circ pump.
I bought the go5 and noticed it was tan color not really orange like the dexcool.
The fluid in the van was green.
It had a recent waterpump at a dealer.
Is there a proper antifreeze that is green or did they put the wrong stuff in there?

Chad wondering if I need to change the fluid.

Boater

Don't know but I use Comma G40 Glysantin, not directly on the BEVO list but it is one of the BASF made antifreezes on the list with Comma's name on the label. It is green so passes the colour test.

The trouble is, the colour test is worthless since it is just a dye, I have seen other forums where people argue about red or blue until someone points out that some manufacturers use blue dye in the type other manufacturers use red for (sorry don't have examples I always just by Comma)

That said, I wouldn't mix colours, the colour and brightness of the antifreeze is you first visual clue long before you start worrying about actually testing it. On the other hand my header tank is black plastic so there is no real way to see the colour or brightness of the antifreeze.....

...Is there a proper antifreeze that is green or did they put the wrong stuff in there?

Chad wondering if I need to change the fluid.
HOAT longer service technology coolants like G05 generally want to step apart from the more common anti-freeze formulations so they don't choose green as a color.

Were I in your situation I would drain, flush with water, and refill with a MB approved G05 type coolant which will likely be some color other than green.

vic

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
I have used Zerex G05 in my van for close to 400k.

Chads, I think that someone screwed up and used the green stuff in your sprinter. I am with Vic on this. Drain, flush and fill with the correct stuff.

chads

Is there any compatibility, corrosive or performance issues with regular stuff It looks perfectly good,clean and new.
If lifespan is the issue no sense in changing out new fluid I just need to change it out in a couple of years.
Chad

Is there any compatibility, corrosive or performance issues with regular stuff It looks perfectly good,clean and new.
If lifespan is the issue no sense in changing out new fluid I just need to change it out in a couple of years.
Chad
You should Google it like I did some time ago. There is plenty of information out there. I use G05 coolant. vic

Boater

Unless you have it tested there is no way of knowing if it is the right stuff but coloured green, or the wrong stuff.
Conventional wisdom is that if you mix types they can react and form a sludge which ends up at the bottom of your radiator - I have not heard that the reaction itself is damaging, but the sludge will affect your cooling and if it gets circulated could leak to a blockage.
I have only bought 2 vehicles, but before adding antifreeze I drained and flushed them both to be sure I knew exactly what was going in and that it wouldn't react with whatever else was in there. Check for any low spots that might not drain/flush properly without removing extra hoses - my cars oil cooler doesn't flush unless you remove the hoses, doing so gets you a face full of antifreeze because there is only one position you can get into to see and slacken the spring clips! :D:

Of course I may just be repeating forum bull****

Jim

Top Bottom