PDA

View Full Version : Slider leaking on new 2013 Crew Van

jimmiejoe
01-11-2013, 04:38 AM
It rained pretty heavy this past weekend and when I when to get in the van I notice a large puddle in the foot well of the slider. This raised Two questions:
1) Where was the water coming from?
2) Why wasn't the water draining?

Any thoughts?

I did see some water at the top of the door by assumed that it was from opening the door while it was still raining, so it is not clear whether or not the leak was at the top of the door or not. I did not see a path from the top of the door to the bottom where the water would have traveled if it was leaking at the top.

sparkie
01-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Could be worth checking the plastic / rubber strip along the top of the door opening. My 2010 had dropped at one end- it's a U shape pushed over a metal edge. I didn't leak, but when I took it off it was badly rusted underneath. I took it off, fixed up the rust, and clamped the U together with pliers to make a tighter fit before hammering it back on. Been ok so far.

Walter Clark
01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Was the water on the black plastic step or in the recess under the step? If on the step, there is no drain but under it in that recess where the door hardware rolls there should be.

In my mind there is a bigger question. Why is the door leaking to begin with? Just a mistake adjusting it during assembly (that would be at least 2 issues), or something more sinister?

When combined with the pulling to the right you also reported I wonder if the shell/chassis may not have been tweaked in a shipping incident or possibly mis-assembled. I dont hear much about assembly quality issues with these and this would certainly be a big one, but it is not uncommon nor illegal for distribution points and dealers to receive damaged-during-transit vehicles and after some repair sell them as new and never report the damage.

jimmiejoe
01-12-2013, 12:25 AM
The water collected on the black plastic step.

It took MB of Fremont a while, but they think they found a leak and have ordered a part.

I will bring it back after the part arrives.

jimmiejoe
01-12-2013, 04:26 AM
I was thinking about your comment on the vehicle getting tweaked, but if my understanding is correct it did not spend much time getting transported cross country and then delivered to me.
Most Sprinters get on a train and come cross country in 1-2 weeks, Mine appears to have been trucked cross country in 2days, and PIDed in 1 days.
If it had been damaged I would have thought the transport would appear to be longer.

jimmiejoe
01-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Over the weekend I noticed that the sliding door bottom slider appear to be making contact with the black plastic under the track. I also noticed a gouge in the fuel tank when chasing my son under the vehicle.

Should I be concerned with either of these?

Walter Clark
01-15-2013, 11:59 AM
I certainly would be. Starting to sound to me as though this van was abused somehow and the dealer is putting bandaids on the symptoms.

mean_in_green
01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Something wasn't right - I can pressure wash mine all over and water doesn't make it inside.

jimmiejoe
01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I do not get the impression that the dealer is trying to put bandaids on this one. Their behavior appears to be more of embarassment, because they have not recieved the updates yet to properly support this vehicle, and as such, are limited in their ability to get to a solution faster. This should be a warning to anyone with the new model year that has to travel some distance to get to a support center.

jimmiejoe
01-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Here is the infomation on what was replaced.