PDA

View Full Version : like and dislikes

mobileoilchange
01-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Guys could you please list on a scale of 1-10 one being worse and ten being best.
Please list your, Year, Model, Engine, Van or Chassis Cab, Wheel Base, Roof Height, Vehicle Mileage, Approximate payload you carry, and your average fuel mileage.
And your main usage, (plumber-electrican-painter-mechanical-RV-family-ETC.)

And could you please at the bottom list your main likes or dislikes. If YOU worked for MB what would you change to your sprinter to make it "better"

1-Handeling 1-10

2-Steering 1-10

3-Brake performance 1-10

4-Suspension (payload) 1-10

5-Drive train 1-10

6-Engine performance (summer) 1-10

7-Engine performance (winter) 1-10

8-Transmission performance 1-10

9-Exterior lighting 1-10

10-Interior lighting 1-10

11-Dash layout 1-10

12-Gauge layout 1-10

13-Seat comfort 1-10

14-Fuel mileage 1-10

15-Build Quality 1-10

16-Interior quality 1-10

17-Paint quality 1-10

18-Fit and finish (door gaps, hood gaps, rattles, squeaks, etc etc)

19-Radio (sound system) 1-10

20-Mirrors 1-10

21-Visability 1-10

22-AC 1-10

23-Heat 1-10

Please list your likes or dislikes or any changes you would make to your sprinter if you worked for MB.

kendall69
01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I'll make this easy - (10) TEN across the board for me.

topless
01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
2 things really bugged me.
The stock Becker radio & speakers. Since they are both gone now, the problem is fixed.
The function of the power door locks, they are just weird. I can live with it, but it takes extra pushes on the interior lock button. I expect it to wear out 2-3 times faster than it should.

I'm not particularly impressed with the quality of the stock paint either.

jdcaples
01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Year: 2007
Model: Freightliner - 2500 Cargo Van
Engine: v6 3.0L Diesel
Wheel base: 144" / 3665 mm
Roof Height: "High Roof" - ~107.5 inches, external height
Vehicle Mileage: ~3200
Load: 0-700 lbs nominal
Average fuel consumption: ~24 mixed 60% city / 40% hwy
Main usage: Commute to work, hauling musical amps, drums etc

1-Handeling 9

2-Steering 9

3-Brake performance 8.5

4-Suspension (payload) 8.5

5-Drive train 8

6-Engine performance (summer) not observed yet

7-Engine performance (winter) 8

8-Transmission performance 8

9-Exterior lighting 10

10-Interior lighting 9

11-Dash layout 9

12-Gauge layout 9

13-Seat comfort 8

14-Fuel mileage 8.5 and improving

15-Build Quality 7

16-Interior quality 7

17-Paint quality 5

18-Fit and finish (door gaps, hood gaps, rattles, squeaks, etc etc) 7

19-Radio (sound system) 5

20-Mirrors 9

21-Visability 9

22-AC - 10 (as a defroster)

23-Heat 8

Dislikes:

Owners/Drivers should be able to reset ASSYST, as per the Owners Manual. Tools to reset ASSYST should be included with the vehicle, like a lug wrench.

Owners/Drivers should be able to turn off DayTime Running lights, as per the Owners Manual (in the USA). The vehicle's firmware does not offer that documented menu choice.

Drivers should be able to start in second gear - not possible with this vehicle

The cargo bay lining/paneling should be much more robust

Cockpit door way weather seals at the footwell, should not collect rocks and debis

The black, plastic fascia around the base exterior of the vehicle collects dirt and debris as if by design

The body paint crumbles away from the vehicle very, very easily - with the slightest of impacts

Illuminated side-marker lights would make the vehicle more visible to drivers. How anyone can miss my rig is beyond me, but other drivers move into with a lot less safety space than I'm accustomed. Often other drivers give me a "you came out of nowhere" look, angry and/or puzzled.

It's way more comfortable to drive than competing products in North America
It feels "stuck" to the road more than competing products in North America
It's way more comfortable to load and unload than competing products in North America
My opinion: The Sprinter's engineering make it a more safe vehicle than competing products in North America
The undercoating is much thicker than I remember on the T1N generation
I like the rain channels better than the T1N generation
It's much easier to find 16" load range E tires than the T1N's 15" wheels
The EGR system seems to have a relationship with the engine coolant to keep temperatures down (I haven't removed hoses to confirm this)

Changes I'd propose if I worked for MB:

Chrysler employees - and owners/drivers - should be able to log-into an MB system to look up each part number printed on each part of the Sprinter. Franchise owners like Chrysler shouldn't be "allowed" to have two different part number catalogs. There should be exactly one part number for every component.

I'd put a thicker (acrylic?) clear coat on the paint

I'd have gone to great lengths to incorporate a transmission with more gears

I would have made offering a Power-assisted sliding door in '07 a priority for North America

I would have made 4x4 a "must-have-this-option ready to deliver" priority for North America

There should be no base instrument panel for Wagons. Every passenger wagon should include the 22b (or 24b) packages

The fuel filling neck should be big enough to accomodate a high-volume (big rig style) fuel dispensing nozzle

"5w-40 MB229.51" should be on the oil fill tube cap for diesel engines.

I'd have made Service DVDs for the Sprinter which are "on par" with those available from MB-USA, LLC for US MB passenger cars and SUVs

Each Sprinter should have an equivalent MB (USA) VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry) detailing unit-specific build/included equipment info

That's all that comes to mind at the moment....

-Jon

mobileoilchange
01-05-2008, 05:20 AM
lol John,
Thats the kind of feed back I was looking for!
The ASSYAT is re-settable without tools. I reset them all the time with just the buttons on the dash. BUT I wish it was as easy as the GM's. All you have to do to reset the GM's Oil life Display is turn the key to the 2nd click and floor the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. It couldnt be any eaiser. My main dislikes about the sprinter one because i service some of them would be....The crappy brake rotor material and size of rotors, the non-servisable u-joints, and I HATE the lug bolts on the 2500 models. Everytime I remove a tire on a 2500 sprinter I think of the old VW's. Why they didnt put wheel studs on all models is dumb. Sometimes i think car companies like MB try to over engineer things. KISS = Keep It Stupid Simple!!!

And Topless makes a good point about the dumb door lock button. It is a pain in the :yell::censored:

sikwan
01-05-2008, 05:33 AM
The ASSYAT is re-settable without tools. I reset them all the time with just the buttons on the dash.

This thread is in the NCV3 section and AFAIK, the ASSYST is not resettable. You must have the T1N.

nfb
01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I have to agree with the locks!! Ugh!! They make me crazy. I get to the car with the kids, I have to put one child between my legs as I hold the other one with my hand, while I get the :censored: door unlocked!!! I can't explain it, they just stink, other than that the van is GREAT!!

jdcaples
01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
This thread is in the NCV3 section and AFAIK, the ASSYST is not resettable. You must have the T1N.

sikwan is correct. tab380 and other Sprinter-Source users have reported that page 234 of the 2007 Owners Manual is incorrect.

ASSYST cannot be reset on current 2007 North American Sprinters. It requires - at this writing - a StarScan or StarMobile tool.

-Jon

jdcaples
01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I get to the car with the kids, I have to put one child between my legs as I hold the other one with my hand, while I get the :censored: door unlocked!!! I can't explain it, they just stink, other than that the van is GREAT!!

I wonder if the passenger wagon (minivan on steroids) was a Daimler after-thought.

I can see how cargo van and bus were primary design goals... On the surface, it seems like "Wagon" is a natural extension of "hotel shuttle," but Wagon owners all seem to complain about characteristics which are not typical "fleet" concerns.

-Jon

Sprinter
01-08-2008, 03:48 AM
jdcaples! nice post, You said it all!

I just want to add few things from my perspective.
2007 Cargo 144" high top 4.10
working for trucking company carrying 1000-3500 punds (2-3 skids) on the interstates, almost 50k miles since last summer

As far as engine performance and other stuff I would go all the way - 10, except

- 8, transmission, it's biggest problem - it is automatic (in truckers world considered a joke)

- 9, lights - (non xenons) terribly dark, they so weak and dimm I have to drive on high beam at night

- 14, fuel mileage, biggest concern, this van has potential for 28+MPG but is far from it, at least there is room to improve on our own including pinion change

- 18, fit and finish - poor, not only mine but most of them at the dealer lot has uneven lamps, huge gaps on hood and front bumpers

- 20, mirrors - nice visibility and shake free but from aerodynamic point of view we're talking sail ship

- 22, A/C - I am little different and don't use it but it's very cold, heat I use, nice and warm, actually HOT even on the coldest day

Overall, GREAT engine, strong even at 1200 RPM, nice van, modern and safe. ESP - awesome. But definately not full MB potential, especially when it comes to fuel consumption.

BigBlueBus
01-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Year: 2007
Model: Dodge (soon to be rebadged MB) - 2500 Passenger Van
Engine: v6 3.0L Diesel
Wheel base: 170"
Roof Height: "High Roof" - ~107.5 inches, external height (not including A/C unit) No more drive thru's or parking garages.
Vehicle Mileage: ~2400
Load: half dozen kids
Average fuel consumption: ~18-20 mixed 40% city / 60% hwy
Main usage: pleasure

1-Handeling 9

2-Steering 9

3-Brake performance 8.5

4-Suspension (payload) a little stiff.

5-Drive train 8

6-Engine performance (summer) not observed yet

7-Engine performance (winter) 10

8-Transmission performance - 2, missing last gear.

9-Exterior lighting: originally 7, now 10; I have added a 50W HID light kit ($150) Super bright now!!!

10-Interior lighting 4, needs kid accessible ceiling light switch. Not enough reading lights. Adding aftermarket indirect lighting soon.

11-Dash layout 9

12-Gauge layout 9

13-Seat comfort 8

14-Fuel mileage 8.5

15-Build Quality 7, I found several torx screws in my canister after vacuuming the van for the first time.

16-Interior quality 7

17-Paint quality 8, got the optional metallic paint and seems very glossy; no rock chips after alot of highway driving.

19-Radio (sound system) 2, too basic for a $50k vehicle.

20-Mirrors 3, the window frame obstructs the mirrors' view to the point where it makes the very large mirrors a moot point.

21-Visibility Front, 10: great panoramic view; Rear, 3: see #20.

22-AC - not tested yet.

23-Heat 3, Dumbass dealer did not order rear heater in a Chicago vehicle. Adding aftermarket forced air rear heater core/fan soon.

Dislikes:

I read the entire manual but still don't know how to engage 6th gear; it desperately needs it!

As Jon has quoted "Illuminated side-marker lights would make the vehicle more visible to drivers. How anyone can miss my rig is beyond me, but other drivers move into with a lot less safety space than I'm accustomed. Often other drivers give me a "you came out of nowhere" look, angry and/or puzzled."
I will add that this vehicle is too big and thus blends into the background so it's hard for other motorists to spot; the side marker lights are mandatory in Europe and so are standard equipment in the non-US Sprinters; why not keep them on the body when built for the US as well? Why take them off??? - Duhhh:hmmm:

To my amazement, it's way easier to drive than my 2000 Chevy Conversion van and also to my amazement, it seems to be better planted on the road and feels much more stable. Cross wind gusts do not affect it nearly as much as the Chevy.

Changes I'd propose if I worked for MB:

Keep the MB badging so we don't have to spend $5-700 to do the conversions.

I would add more rear end final ratio options and add a 6th gear.

as Jon quoted "I would have made offering a Power-assisted sliding door in '07 a priority for North America" and add: a smaller sliding door for passenger wagons. We don't need the warehouse style door for loading our small kids.

4x4 would be nice.

A more decent radio, at least one with a 6" video display with aux video input for backup camera, gps, etc.

John

Sprinter
01-09-2008, 05:10 PM
John, would You tell me where can I get this "50W HID light kit ($150)" You have?

I need it, I drive at night a lot and it's no fun

Altered Sprinter
01-10-2008, 05:37 AM
I wonder if the passenger wagon (minivan on steroids) was a Daimler after-thought.

I can see how cargo van and bus were primary design goals... On the surface, it seems like "Wagon" is a natural extension of "hotel shuttle," but Wagon owners all seem to complain about characteristics which are not typical "fleet" concerns.

-Jon
Jon the passenger concept for Sprinters is just that, a basic setup that was intended for Fleet operations! Whereas the passenger van conception.. was Bourne out the need for community based bus fleets, for governmental and private organizations, that required a van for more ease of entry for older or disabled folk etc.
If you wanted a Higher quality better fitted out version you went for Vito in the basic passenger version or the Viano for the ultimate luxury version, but head height and smaller entry width became the influencing factors which favored the Sprinter.
13th Aug 2007 Electronic doors re-certified to a new standard... by altering fail safe automatic sensors.. with safety edge soft touch rubber on the side B frame to prevent small children from having those little and very fragile fingers damaged, by the door closing.
The revised sensors will automatically reverse the closing Automatic doors system! if it touches a small object such as a child's finger, and or incorporating a 1AA hands operated control unit for disabled folk. Company Mayserr GMhb Germany.
If the vehicle is used for more than 12 passengers, upgrading to 16 for example with ext Long hi tops: then an aftermarket company, must alter the door to an 'automatic system' as similar to a Passenger coach, with two and three safety steps incorporated in to cargo floor for ease of entry. automatic rear entry Chair lifts require automatic opening rear doors, sensor wireless hand controlled operation and added air suspension for the raising and lowering of the van , It also increases rear chassis height and stability.
Vans with standard side doors that were designed for fleet operations incorporating full pallets from a fork lift, have to now have the side door with a bump stop at the 3/4 opening level incorporating safety bars at this point to prevent a passenger falling out, or leaning to far into the door entry. two safety steps are required all works carried out by conversion companies it's not a standard Mercedes-Benz fit-out.
Single wide wheels had an issue with vans over 4.5 GVM as to stability issues up to 4.9 GVM this again has been rectified. A Weight version de-rated and or air assit added for the higher CVM 4.9 GVM for 4 air bags instead of two airbags for rear chair lifts, the rear standard spring can not handle the added weight past the 3/4 mark of the rear parabolic spring it says nothing about the added two spring set up. as there are two of:idunno: one for emergency services, and one for campers ? sorry I have no more information on the spring thing it has variations in Germany and the UK and Australia. However it had something to do with the ESP adaptive system with ABS brakes. Which does make sense to me, with certain issues on the older tins. that were used for over extended purposes. Rules keep changing but companies are very adaptive to change Large automotive companies such as Benz can not take a Production model of the line for custom one off units it's not viable for a company to do this, hence qualified and certified after marker conversion companies offer this service. OK this is a European requiremnet but it does show what is being done elsewhere, with the adaptive Mercedes-Benz Sprinter line up of the varying models with engines transmissions body design and chassis options.
Richard

unik
01-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Year: 2006
Model: Dodge Sprinter - 2500 Cargo Van
Engine: V5 Diesel
Wheel base: 158"
Roof Height: "High Roof" - ~73 inches, external height
Vehicle Mileage: ~9,000
Load: 50~300kg
Average fuel consumption: ~22miles per gallon
Main usage: :snore:RV~90% HandyMan tools box~10%:bash:

1-Handeling 8

2-Steering 10

3-Brake performance 10

4-Suspension (payload) 5

5-Drive train 8

6-Engine performance (summer) 10

7-Engine performance (winter) 8 Even in Florida does not rase temperature, if drive lower then 40miles/h

8-Transmission performance 8

9-Exterior lighting 10

10-Interior lighting 3, two swiches got bore, cheap plastic

11-Dash layout 10

12-Gauge layout 10

13-Seat comfort 10

14-Fuel mileage 23/25

15-Build Quality 7

16-Interior quality 0, remodel myself

17-Paint quality 5

19-Radio (sound system) -1:2cents: Better have empty space:rant: I Donated my radio to dealer:tongue::2cents:
19=a; made new sound 4 speakers system instalation :rad:
20-Mirrors 10

21-Visability 5 Driver and passenger doors shall have one glass without vertical frame devider

22-AC - 6

23-Heat 4

Altered Sprinter
01-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Congradulations uinc a V5:clapping:
m=H
Richard
PS can some one show me the gap variations on Panels please.

jdcaples
01-12-2008, 02:24 AM

Gap variations?

-Jon

Altered Sprinter
01-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Gap variations?

-Jon
OK ! Gap variants of inconsistency between panels in the front , such as fenders bumpers doors etc. The only gap on both models I find somewhat out of wack:thinking: is the side cargo door.
Richard

jdcaples
01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
OK ! Gap variants of inconsistency between panels in the front , such as fenders bumpers doors etc. The only gap on both models I find somewhat out of wack:thinking: is the side cargo door.
Richard

The only "gaps" in the assembly of my Sprinter are the near the rear corners (and mud flaps) of the black facia. My doors and slider, the fenders, hood etc, even the lines between bumper and body panel are all straight enough to have never caught my attention.

-Jon

unik
01-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Congradulations uinc a V5:clapping:
m=H
Richard

Boss - Richard:bow::bow::bow::bow:
VVVery sorry for mistaike:cry::cry:
Excuse, I made it during copy/paste process:thinking:

Please forgive me:bow:
working hard, (:eek:not at all) runing with clock:bash:
:cheers:

BigBlueBus
01-13-2008, 08:01 AM
John, would You tell me where can I get this "50W HID light kit ($150)" You have?

I need it, I drive at night a lot and it's no fun

Here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12V-50W-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H4-H7-H8-H9-H11_W0QQitemZ350014579623QQihZ022QQcategoryZ36476Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy ships very fast! I got mine in 5 days, install takes 10 minutes; I bought one set for my Dodge Ram, one for the Sprinter and another for my old conversion van. They work great.

John

Sprinter
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12V-50W-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H4-H7-H8-H9-H11_W0QQitemZ350014579623QQihZ022QQcategoryZ36476Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy ships very fast! I got mine in 5 days, install takes 10 minutes; I bought one set for my Dodge Ram, one for the Sprinter and another for my old conversion van. They work great.

John

Thanks!

What color temp. did You order? I am thinking of 8000k blue, but then 5000k white is probabbly brighter.

Does it really install nice and easy? I suppose all the filter has to get into the lamp housing and still be able to close & seal so there is no humidity getting inside the lamp?

BigBlueBus
01-14-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks!

What color temp. did You order? I am thinking of 8000k blue, but then 5000k white is probabbly brighter.

The lower the number the higher the lumens; I got the 4300k, it's like driving in daytime all the time. It's very very bright. 8000k would be waaaay too blue and not nearly as bright. Sometimes I will get flashed by people in opposite direction not familiar with HID lights, but once I flash my high beams, then they realize I have HID's.
Even the 35W OEM HID's from BMW, MB, Acura, etc are much brighter than halogens, so they get flashed too I'm sure.
Does it really install nice and easy? I suppose all the filter has to get into the lamp housing and still be able to close & seal so there is no humidity getting inside the lamp?

Filter??? I installed the ballasts just outside the lamp covers; I had to drill 1-1/8" holes through the lamp covers to pass the wiring from the bulbs to the ballasts. The kit comes with a water tight rubber grommet for this purpose. The whole install took me about 20 minutes, but I had 2 other installs under my belt. It's really quite simple and all plug-n-play, no splicing.

John

ewxlt
01-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Average fuel consumption: ~24 mixed 60% city / 40% hwy

Excuse me?

24?!?!?!?

I can do 90% highway 10% city and get barely 20...that's driving gingerly, with C/C at 70mph.

I wish I'd bought your van.

My "mixed" driving get's me 17.5....18mpg at best.

jdcaples
01-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Excuse me?

24?!?!?!?

I can do 90% highway 10% city and get barely 20...that's driving gingerly, with C/C at 70mph.

I wish I'd bought your van.

My "mixed" driving get's me 17.5....18mpg at best.

I attribute my fuel economy to a few things:

1) I accellerate more slowly than most people. When I'm paying attention, it always seems that my transmission shifts around the 2200 rpm range.

Do most people drive in a manner that delays shifting until the 3000+ rpm range?

2) I rarely drive over 65, even on the highway.

3) I ordered my van - deliberately paying the extra $45 or whatever dollars for the 3.92 rear axle.

I'm sure if I drove more "normally," I'd feel it at the pump.

It took patience and homework to order the right van.

This is probably why people say, "your mileage may vary." :)

-Jon

saltywhenwet
02-02-2008, 04:13 AM
I was flipping through the menus on the STAR unit at the dealership, when I found an option to change the settings the electric door locks, I wasnt able to change anything though because the ass!@#$ manager said I had to wait outside for insurance reasons?