PDA

View Full Version : Cold Mornings...

gottahavabenz
01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
This morning was pretty cold, -22F here in sun deprived VT. Van still started like a champ, but it did get me thinking about what I can do to make that easier.

Looking for suggestions, especially practical ones that are under 500 bucks, but setting a fire under the engine is not what I had in mind!!:smirk:

Thanks guys

CJPJ
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Baby your battery, show it some love! Charge it fully, keep it warm, check it's specific gravity>:hugs:

K-9 SPRINTER
01-03-2013, 11:47 PM
This morning was pretty cold, -22F here in sun deprived VT. Van still started like a champ, but it did get me thinking about what I can do to make that easier.

Looking for suggestions, especially practical ones that are under 500 bucks, but setting a fire under the engine is not what I had in mind!!:smirk:

Thanks guys

i dont know the price, but how about http://espar.com/html/products/coolantheaters.html with a timer or remote , I have the optional espar from MB , Works great, and is nice and warm when I enter to start the sprinter

T.J.T
01-03-2013, 11:50 PM
I too have the espar but when it hits -20 to -30 Celsius the espar doesn't get my van over 80F.

This was a thread from a year ago when my battery froze up and cracked mid day while i was in a job and cost me an arm and a leg to change it (because i checked the AUX battery first) and get it towed to have the dealer fix it.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19185&highlight=wolverine

There are some pads you can stick to the battery/oil pan/trans pan that will heat them and help with a better start.

Every year I say I am going to get around to do this and I procrastinate only to have it catch up to me when it gets really cold again... :thinking:

Here is the direct post http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166546&postcount=28

mykes
01-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Hi, i to live in Calgary and have the espar aux heater in my 2011 mb 3500. This is my first year with the van and have found the aux heater too work very well,even at -30ish it starts just fine.I leave the house about the same time in the am so i just set the timer for a hour before and all seems good so far.I love that the interior is also heated. I installed the 500 watt wolverine heater on the oil pan this summer and think it's a very good product and will work well as a back up if needed,but so far the aux heater is all I've needed.
Myke

gottahavabenz
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys.

If I had purchased the van new I would have ordered the espar but since it doesnt have it I think the pads will do just fine. I was talking to someone else about this and they said the NCV3 electric coil in the coolant brings their van up to temp (after it starts) quickly and holds it up to temp. Mine yesterday never got above 160 on the highway at 65MPH, you think its not working?

Aqua Puttana
01-04-2013, 12:04 PM
As has been mentioned already, my personal opinion is that an oil pan pad heater and a battery pad heater are your best bet.

Easy to install, non-invasive.
Realtively inexpensive.
No maintenance.
Easy to use. Can be powered by a simple lighting timer if desired.

FWIW. vic

Thanks guys.
... I was talking to someone else about this and they said the NCV3 electric coil in the coolant brings their van up to temp (after it starts) quickly and holds it up to temp. ...

Edit. They are likely confusing the electric heat defrost/vents feature included in the air duct system for helping to clear your windows. I'm 99% certain that there is no electric coil to heat the coolant. vic

sailquik
01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Vic,
Actually, I'm not sure it's in the coolant, but there is a heat source in my 2012 NCV3 3500
170" and I pretty sure that it was in my 2011 as well.
If I watch the coolant temp on the ScanGauge II I'm getting heat out the vents with the
blower on in a minute or 3 after cold start up while the coolant temp is still < 90 deg. F.
I'm pretty sure it's an electrical heater in the cabin air system so it contributes nothing to increasing the coolant temp quickly.
A block heater, or as you suggest a pan heater pad, or the Espar pre-heater furnace are the ways to get temp into a T1N.
Would not be a bad idea on the NCV3, but where I live (Mid Atlantic region) we don't have
sub freezing temps all that often and where I live it woud take a very long extension cord
to get power out to the van.
Roger

Aqua Puttana
01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Yes. I wasn't clear enough. I added info to the post. It is an electric heater capability in the air duct system. I'm not certain what year it was initiated, but it is standard with the NCV3 NAFTA models to the best of my knowledge. vic
Vic,
Actually, I'm not sure it's in the coolant, but there is a heat source in my 2012 NCV3 3500
170" and I pretty sure that it was in my 2011 as well.
If I watch the coolant temp on the ScanGauge II I'm getting heat out the vents with the
blower on in a minute or 3 after cold start up while the coolant temp is still < 90 deg. F.
I'm pretty sure it's an electrical heater in the cabin air system so it contributes nothing to increasing the coolant temp quickly.
A block heater, or as you suggest a pan heater pad, or the Espar pre-heater furnace are the ways to get temp into a T1N.
Would not be a bad idea on the NCV3, but where I live (Mid Atlantic region) we don't have
sub freezing temps all that often and where I live it woud take a very long extension cord
to get power out to the van.
Roger

gottahavabenz
01-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Vic

Are you suggesting I may get some heat to blow even before my coolant temp starts to climb?
I usually wait until 160 to turn on the blower, but if it will start before that because of a coil in the air duct then that would be good to know.

Thanks again guys, I will be buying a wolverine Pad for oil pan and battery does anyone have the part #s that fit our NCV3 vans?

Aqua Puttana
01-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Vic

Are you suggesting I may get some heat to blow even before my coolant temp starts to climb?
Yes.

Even without the electric supplemental heat my T1N provides heat fairly quickly. I feel heat from the ducts way before the temperature gauge ever begins to climb at all.

I'm certain that before anything is warm enough to affect the gauge, the warmer coolant that comes right off the engine is directed to the oil heater and the HVAC heater core in the duct without going through the radiator. I turn my fan down to a lower setting for the first few minutes. After that the air is warmed enough that I can feel the difference from the ducts so I increase the fan speed. With the NCV3 supplemental electric heat mounted in the duct you should get that effect even quicker. vic

piper1
01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
I did the oil pan stick on pad heater (Wolverine)...I noticed it would crank faster with the now slightly warm oil. Oil was usually around 40F and it kept the coolant above 32F even on the coldest days.

pgr
01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
I did the oil pan stick on pad heater (Wolverine)...I noticed it would crank faster with the now slightly warm oil. Oil was usually around 40F and it kept the coolant above 32F even on the coldest days.

I was thinking of buying the Wolverine myself. It seems as if it has made a major difference in cold morning starts for you - is that correct? Is there any chance of losing it on the highway? It seems to just stick on!

gottahavabenz
01-05-2013, 12:16 PM
If anyone has installed both battery and oil pads on their sprinter could you post the part #s I would like to order them but don't want to mess it up and have the headache! Thanks in advance.

jdcaples
01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
If anyone has installed both battery and oil pads on their sprinter could you post the part #s I would like to order them but don't want to mess it up and have the headache! Thanks in advance.

I think forum member ShaneMac has done both. Use the "advanced search" feature to review his postings, or send him a private message.

-Jon

piper1
01-05-2013, 03:28 PM
I was thinking of buying the Wolverine myself. It seems as if it has made a major difference in cold morning starts for you - is that correct? Is there any chance of losing it on the highway? It seems to just stick on!

If you get the oil pan clean they stick on with a lot of strength. They also come with some silicone goo to seal up the edges. They stick on with enough force that I'm almost positive you would destroy the heater if you tried to remove it. I liked having it. If you want hot coolant for cabin heat this ain't the way to go...but it sure helps the engine.

http://www.wolverineheater.com/category-s/1477.htm

I'm pretty sure I bought the model 40...although I didn't think it was 500 watts..just 250. FYI there are also cheaper places to buy these than the above link.

Graphite Dave
01-05-2013, 04:34 PM
My 08 has a electric air heater in the system for heating cab air. I can tell when it is operating by the voltage drop shown on the Scangage. It is automatic without any driver operated controls. I assume it actuates if dash temperature setting is higher than interior temperature. Engine must be running for it to work. I also have the factory Espar and use it regularly. Use it to preheat the engine water and defrost the windshield. Also use it to heat the van when camping. 2010 and later Sprinters do not let the Espar start unless it is colder than 39 degrees. For my use that temperature limit would make the heater useless.

RGC
01-05-2013, 07:57 PM
I installed a zerostart 8000 coolant circulation heater 1500 watts on my 07 sprinter van. I did this because the glow plugs are not working on it almost 400000 km on the van. The van will not start if it is any colder than 0 degrees Celsius. I did not want to take a chance removing the glow plugs for fear of breaking. No mechanics really want to work on these vans because of their complexity of there lack of computer scanning equipment. Even the dealers laughed when I asked about replacing glow plugs they said they usually break. The heater cost me 89.99 plus heater hose and some mb coolant. Man I tell u it was - 15 in Toronto recently and this heater actually keeps the engine really warm. Engine fires up at the first turn of the key. I really recommend this install for anyone that wants a cheap and effective way of heating their engine prior to starting. A block heater would have been nice from the factory but this heater warms the engine up way more than any block heater would. If anyone is interested I can give details about how I tied into the coolant system. Just to mention I installed the inline hose heater last year and when it is really cold this hose heater can't heat he coolant up enough to get it to start.

glasseye
01-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Just to mention I installed the inline hose heater last year and when it is really cold this hose heater can't heat he coolant up enough to get it to start.

That was my experience with an inline (in the rad hose) heater I installed on my MF tractor. Even though it drew 800W, it was useless. Heating the oil pan makes a lot of sense to me.

The MF had no glow plugs and was a bear to start at -10C.

shanemac
01-06-2013, 12:30 AM
My oil pan heater does help, mine is 250 watt the 500 watt would be better, works best if plugged in after van has just shut down(already warm or hot engine temp)

Aqua Puttana
01-06-2013, 01:05 AM
My oil pan heater does help, mine is 250 watt the 500 watt would be better, works best if plugged in after van has just shut down(already warm or hot engine temp)
I have even less wattage than you do. I find that when I use the same keep a warm engine warm method that my heater does fine. That said, I'm quite a bit further south and the Great Lakes moderate our temperatures a bit. I think that we hit -15F not many years ago, but that is very unusual. Were I further north a bigger pad heater would be my choice. Locale should figure into what size is needed.

Some threads are listed in post #2 here for those who like to read.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=116620#post116620

vic

pgr
01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
If you get the oil pan clean they stick on with a lot of strength. They also come with some silicone goo to seal up the edges. They stick on with enough force that I'm almost positive you would destroy the heater if you tried to remove it. I liked having it. If you want hot coolant for cabin heat this ain't the way to go...but it sure helps the engine.

http://www.wolverineheater.com/category-s/1477.htm

I'm pretty sure I bought the model 40...although I didn't think it was 500 watts..just 250. FYI there are also cheaper places to buy these than the above link.

They seem to be the same price on Amazon. Thanks!

wheelssearch
01-29-2013, 04:33 PM
I installed a zerostart 8000 coolant circulation heater 1500 watts on my 07 sprinter van. I did this because the glow plugs are not working on it almost 400000 km on the van. The van will not start if it is any colder than 0 degrees Celsius. I did not want to take a chance removing the glow plugs for fear of breaking. No mechanics really want to work on these vans because of their complexity of there lack of computer scanning equipment. Even the dealers laughed when I asked about replacing glow plugs they said they usually break. The heater cost me 89.99 plus heater hose and some mb coolant. Man I tell u it was - 15 in Toronto recently and this heater actually keeps the engine really warm. Engine fires up at the first turn of the key. I really recommend this install for anyone that wants a cheap and effective way of heating their engine prior to starting. A block heater would have been nice from the factory but this heater warms the engine up way more than any block heater would. If anyone is interested I can give details about how I tied into the coolant system. Just to mention I installed the inline hose heater last year and when it is really cold this hose heater can't heat he coolant up enough to get it to start.Hello I am a new member from Winterpeg and I hope I am doing this right. I have 07 Sprinter and installed 330-8003 inline heater but it doesn't circulate do to auxiliary coolant pump. Can you tell me where to run the outlet on the engine block. Thanks.

shanemac
01-30-2013, 03:07 AM
Hi, to be honest I don't think anyone has documented this type of installation...I could be wrong though with some more searching on this sight the answer may be found. Do you have any more tech specs pics etc of this heater?

gottahavabenz
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Im with shanemac, I looked a bit for a lower radiator hose heater for mine and never saw anything. Can you or anyone else who has installed one successfully chime in.