PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Shutdown

markcaudill
01-03-2008, 11:48 AM
My Sprinter runs fine in warmer temperatures. However, when winter comes here in NC, my Sprinter starts shutting down. It happens with such regularity that I am surprised when it doesn't happen. Here are several examples;

When I idle it before hitting the road.

After driving 25 yards from a cold start.

After driving several miles on the highway from a cold start. Yikes!

In each case I simply restart and away we go with no further problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mark, Greensboro, NC

sikwan
01-03-2008, 04:08 PM
How cold is cold? What's the mileage (odometer)? What kind of maintenance has been done to it lately? What year is your Sprinter?

I'm thinking it's fuel related as my best guess.

kendall69
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a fuel issue - have you used any good fuel additive for winter conditions?
I'm assuming diesel?

markcaudill
01-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Cold is around 15 - 30 F.

It's a 2003 model and it's done this since we bought it.

Mileage is only about 15k.

Only maint. is oil changes.

It is a diesel and I have not used any additives.

It died today during initial morning idle. The temp was 18F. Restarted it and it was good all day.

sikwan
01-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Did you buy it new or used?

15kmiles is pretty low for a 2003. I would gather it's been sitting somewhere for awhile.

I would at least change the fuel filter and check for fuel line cracks and verify that the connections are tight (no air leaking in). Also fill it with some anti-gelling/injector cleaner additive into your fuel tank. I figure since you live somewhere where it's 30F and below, they would at least sell you the cold #1 diesel.

Try to use (or leave on) your heater booster.
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=768&stc=1&d=1169418321 (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=768&stc=1&d=1169418321)
Middle button (squiggly lines) above the "REST" button, on the right.
:idunno:

markcaudill
01-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Bought it new.

Use it 1 or 2 times a week to drive to/from a video job. I have it customized inside.

I'll check the manual for the heater booster feature and look into fuel/additives.

Thanks.

Mark