PDA

View Full Version : check engine light again

contractor
01-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Am I the only guy that experiences frequent check engine failures. Today's now makes it three times ... and my vehicle only has 20K miles. First an O2 sensor, then a cracked resonsonator, anyone want to guess this failure? I just knew there was a problem by the increase in engine noise ... my diesel clacks louder when it's going to have a check engine failure and sure enough before the day was over...
Does anyone know if software and cable is available aftermaket to perform engine diagnostics on a PC without. Thanks.

abittenbinder
01-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Am I the only guy that experiences frequent check engine failures.

Does anyone know if software and cable is available aftermaket to perform engine diagnostics on a PC without. Thanks.

Contact me directly. I have been granted official status to promote/sell the Snap-on/Nexiq Sprinter software and cable. PC based software. Doktor A

AHAMAYfrank
01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I had a 2004 140 HC that had intermittent electrical problems from the day I picked it up New.

Sometimes I would get a check engine light and sometimes no light just limp mode. In the times with a CE light the dealer would replace the component that was shown “defective” by the error code. After replacing parts and clearing the code(s) the van typically ran good for some time.

One time I went to pick it up, after an extended visit, and I didn’t even make it from the frontage road to the interstate. I then left it for a couple more weeks and they replaced the Engine Wire Harness. This fixed the problem for about a year until the incorrectly routed new Engine Wire Harness rubbed through on a sharp edge and started throwing codes again. The repaired new Engine Wire Harness seemed to correct it finally, but when the third turbo resonator failed my faith and trust (in dealers and MY van) completely failed.

Looking back a logical individual might suspect that none of the numerous electrical components originally replaced were defective and that the Engine Wire Harness was the issue from Day 1. The resonator(s), well that has been discussed at length in other threads.

I am not really suggesting that this is your problem but just providing another example of possible electrical issues difficult to diagnose.

This quote is from a previous post. In the situation(s) above, I never noticed any additional engine noise, but my first replaced component (of many) was an O2 sensor. I purchased a code reader from Auto Zone just to get home from Texas.

Frank