Adding Trailer Hitch to '08 144" Cargo

Barrelsaver

Just got my new Sprinter Cargo van and I want to install a DIY trailer hitch & electric connector. I plan to use a bolt-on Hidden Hitch brand available for $150. My dealer offered to install a hitch for $500, .....so...

My question: Is there a connector w/ wiring available that will just 'plug-in' without cutting or splicing any wires?

Thanks in advance!
Barrelsaver

Barrelsaver

Adding Trailer Hitch to '08 144" Cargo & connector

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the pictures and info. I called the local Dealer parts dept. to see if they could get me the OEM trailer socket connector with plug-in wiring attached...I don't want to cut or splice any wires. The parts guy can order one for me from Dallas for $ 177. dollars, plus tax. He said it connects with a long wire harness to the van under the driver's seat. This seems like a very costly way to get trailer lights...I won't need trailer brakes for my 2500lb boat trailer. Don't most people just tap into the tail light wiring to get trailer lights?

As you indicated, there may also be an interference problem as you with the after market bolt-on Hidden Hitch. The hitch mount illustrations on their website show the hitch attaching on the outboard side of the rear frame rails using the same bolts that hold the rear step bumper...but the exhaust pipe outlet is right under the frame rail in that spot.

What is a guy to do? Any suggestions?

SprinterUSA1

Barrelsaver,

Are you saying that your trailer does not have brakes or do you think that 2500lbs is not too bad so you will not worry about using the trailer brakes? I own a small dump body trailer that weighs 2600lbs empty. I can tell you that even empty it is pushing quite a lot. Ever since I installed a brake controller I do not even feel the trailer back there anymore. I suggest that if the trailer has brakes use them. It is safety for you and others.
As far as wiring goes. If you are going to use the OEM wiring kit then you will get the hole deal and it will be wired correctly. Running wires front to back or vice versa is not that difficult on the NCV3. It just seems daunting at first. If you want to save some money get a tail light converter and wire it up yourself. It will take a few hours but it really is very simple. Just make sure to get one that has its own power source. Do not get one that tabs into the taillights only. It will not work, in other words you will not have any lights working on your van or trailer. There will be some splicing necessary for that.

See here: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2290&highlight=trailer+hitch+wiring and here
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2088&page=2&highlight=trailer+hitch+wiring

SprinterUSA1

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Re: Adding Trailer Hitch to '08 144" Cargo & connector

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the pictures and info. I called the local Dealer parts dept. to see if they could get me the OEM trailer socket connector with plug-in wiring attached...I don't want to cut or splice any wires. The parts guy can order one for me from Dallas for $ 177. dollars, plus tax. He said it connects with a long wire harness to the van under the driver's seat. This seems like a very costly way to get trailer lights...I won't need trailer brakes for my 2500lb boat trailer. Don't most people just tap into the tail light wiring to get trailer lights?

As you indicated, there may also be an interference problem as you with the after market bolt-on Hidden Hitch. The hitch mount illustrations on their website show the hitch attaching on the outboard side of the rear frame rails using the same bolts that hold the rear step bumper...but the exhaust pipe outlet is right under the frame rail in that spot.

What is a guy to do? Any suggestions?
I'll run photos up on Sunday with the NCV hitch system.. the exhaust is not a problem.

Included is your current weight limits With additional weight upratings, and the rats nest for the wiring program.
Your Maxim possible permissible towing weights! are as follows, for both 2500 and 3500 vans only are...Trailer load with out-brakes 750 KG Trailer Load with-brakes 2000KG.
Please note , via the introduction of alternative non complying wiring programs , one can cause electrical interference with the electronics, especially speed sensors. which can possibly alter the-RPM-Set-via, the ECU module.

I will explain as to the new weights for final axle ratios and as to how they are intended to work
as to loading variants etc. Specifc for Towing with ESP Adaptive features.
The original OEM Mercedes-Benz Hitch and wiring loom, links directly to the ESP adaptive program- for- ABS- ASR- BAS- and EBV== the latter is the anti lock system which automatically deactivates! if your over loaded. in either Internal loading limits and or towing.
The Dash board will show light-icons on the standard analog dash,And or a digital read out on the Hi-line dash option!!! both show either lights
and or deactivation codes, and errors, for The ASR ESP warning signal will emit a low audible sound...if the ASR is deactivated.. ASR/BAS both disengage,leaving only the ESP active.
Note : once fully wired through the Can Bus system all Adaptive Electronic systems are fully operational For final Activation Your local Tech has to program the system start, to awake mode.

The EBV Electronic Brake force Distribution will fail under load, due to under voltage resulting in rear wheels locking sooner, this means you will wear pads out or damage the Rotors as the senors are deactivated or non operational when the ASR BAS is disengaged.
Information is for NCV3 but almost as similar as to the Older tins from 2003 on-wards with advanced ABS,ASR,& ESP packages up to 3.5 Tonne after 3.5 T ESP is no longer active as LOC,LAC them takes the leading role US does not have this system, a;though a few made it in for emergancy and armoured vehicles.
Richard

axle weights.jpg

rats.jpg

Last edited:

Barrelsaver

Wiring for Trailer Hitch to '08 144" Cargo

Richard,
Many thanks for the wiring facts you posted for me! You've been a genuine and most welcome help in this project. I'm going to the real Mopar OEM wiring harness and hitch from a Sprinter dealer, but I'm still debating whether to put in on myself or have the dealer do it. I'm a skilled mechanic and machinist with some 50 years of fixing stuff. I'm not sure about my new Sprinter dealers level of technical competence... he would have to do the job in his own shop and guarantee the results!

BTW, where can I get a Service Manual on my Sprinter?

Best regards from,
TK

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Re: Wiring for Trailer Hitch to '08 144" Cargo

Richard,
Many thanks for the wiring facts you posted for me! You've been a genuine and most welcome help in this project. I'm going to the real Mopar OEM wiring harness and hitch from a Sprinter dealer, but I'm still debating whether to put in on myself or have the dealer do it. I'm a skilled mechanic and machinist with some 50 years of fixing stuff. I'm not sure about my new Sprinter dealers level of technical competence... he would have to do the job in his own shop and guarantee the results!

BTW, where can I get a Service Manual on my Sprinter?

Best regards from,
TK
Your more than welcome
Look the Sprinters are unique to the American sector what's the norm elsewhere is New for the states if you get my drift from down under.
The NCV3 installation of aftermarket hitch is the wrong design even with out the step which is a must on any sprinter as to U Know Who will use it as a bump stop :thumbdown: To be honest I'm not sure if even the Dodge hitch is the proper one I have not seen a full photo of one as of yet?
The OEM Mercedes wiring loom is installed for a reason, " The Electronics Can to Can for proper configuration.
You have choice of pin connectors for your towing requirements and this needs to be addressed , and or a least fully understood.
seven pin connectors are for basic towing of trailers only not for connecting to a caravan unit you need a 13 pin out let for this at a older 12 C pin outlet
The BASIC 7 pin unit has only 5 activated operational pins fully active once connected, it does not support reverse lighting or air brakes ..But it can , sort of double dutch there.
seven pins connectors have two spare pins one is an axillary pin Blank this can be used for reverse lighting, No 7 pin is 12 Volt continuous active this is used for air brake controllers only Once connected your local Dodge dealer can activate the system to awake mode.
Some information included to help you understand how the set up works, and as to why why so many folk run into problems with aftermarket systems...{ look at the threads!current :hmmm:on the same subject} relays: be very careful with these on the new NCV3 units
Richard
tbwi.jpg

tbw2.jpg

tbw3.jpg

aux cut off relay.jpg

NNNN.jpg

Barrelsaver

Add-on Hitch Installed Sucessfully Today

Thanks guys, for all your experienced guidance on this add-on. The dealer's technician spent more than 4 hours installing the Dodge Sprinter OEM wire harness and hitch for $495 and tax. Watching him do all the work made me even more grateful for the good advice I received here. It was a BIG job and he had all the tools and equipment. It worked the first time! Thanks again.

Top Bottom