Please point me in the right direction!

Jrmorgan

Doing the front brakes on my 06 3500, because I am getting a grinding sound from what sounds like the front.

Question is how do you tell if you need a "pin" style or a "Clip" style brake sencer?

:idunno:

As always, thank you in advance for any advice. This site has saved me tons of money!!!

Oh yeah, Season Greeting!

JOhn

One easy answer, I'm quite certain that the pads from Steve, EuropartsSD include the new sensors. The prices are very competitive. Not all replacement pads from parts houses come with new sensors. vic

cahaak

The electronic sensor is a pin style if that is what you mean. You can look online for pads and many come with new sensors - for example, look at Rock Auto or Europarts as mentioned above. You need to know what calipers you have on the van and if you turn the front wheels and look closely underneath, you can see which ones you have - guessing Bosch in your case. You may also need to replace the rotors for your brake job.

Chris

Jrmorgan

Thanks guys, I am going to replace the discs the pads and the sensor. Looking at crossed drilled, slotted as I had great experience with them on my GM Van. Not much more for after market ones, with greater stopping power.

Jrmorgan

I was filled with intrepidation about doing the brakes after reading all the tough times a lot of members had removing the brake system. Sorry to say it all came off easy. Guess that's one good point about living in California... The brake sensor looks to be a horse shoe affair, slides into a notch in the brake pad.

John

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
The electronic sensor is a pin style if that is what you mean. You can look online for pads and many come with new sensors - for example, look at Rock Auto or Europarts as mentioned above. You need to know what calipers you have on the van and if you turn the front wheels and look closely underneath, you can see which ones you have - guessing Bosch in your case. You may also need to replace the rotors for your brake job.

Chris
Wonder if the brake warning light is accurate? When I changed out shocks noticed the pads were thin but no warning light yet. Would like to proactive on brake maintenance and hopefully avoid the need to replace the discs. What should one look for in determining weather the discs need replacement also?

Jrmorgan

Wonder if the brake warning light is accurate? When I changed out shocks noticed the pads were thin but no warning light yet. Would like to proactive on brake maintenance and hopefully avoid the need to replace the discs. What should one look for in determining weather the discs need replacement also?
I heard disc grinding noise for a week, before disc light came on. WhenI took down the disc the brake sensor was being ground down too.

Jrmorgan

Update, I was trying to order discs and pads from Brake Performance. When I looked for an 06 the sizes were off. Found out my truck was made in 05. Sold as a 06. Back to the web site to order, they Performance site gave options, way too many. They wanted to know axle numbers front and back! I got fed up with them, called Europarts of San Diego. They were so kind and laughed at the story. They said there are only two size discs for that year. Most 3500's have 15 inch wheels.The get the smaller rotor. Most 2500's have 16 inch wheels, they get the larger rotor. Same sensors.

So I am going stock again. Parts will be here tomorrow!
John

surlyoldbill

I think new pads and rotors cost me around $150 total for the front, replaced at over 100k. There are two brands in play, make sure you get the correct pads for your calipers.

Jrmorgan

I think new pads and rotors cost me around $150 total for the front, replaced at over 100k. There are two brands in play, make sure you get the correct pads for your calipers.
The guy at Europarts seemed very knowledgeable. He knows I have a 3500. And that total weight for the truck is 7000 pounds plus. I hope I get the right pads!

John

This is my worn front brake sensor. Judging by what is left, I think 3/4 of the pad is gone in 6 years, 16,000 miles.
The rotor:doh: pad seems to have some junk embedded in it, unless that is intended as a form of squealing wear indicator?

That chunk of rotor you have the pad sitting on looks real rough for 16,000 miles. :tongue:

brake%20sensor.jpg

You should be fine when dealing with Europarts. :thumbup:

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

Jrmorgan

The rotor:doh: pad seems to have some junk embedded in it, unless that is intended as a form of squealing wear indicator?

That chunk of rotor you have the pad sitting on looks real rough for 16,000 miles. :tongue:

View attachment 48627

You should be fine when dealing with Europarts. :thumbup:

:cheers: vic
The real odd thing to me is a design flaw. The pads contact the rotor below the edge. I have no idea where the "grinding" sound came from, as I see no evidence of anything cutting into anything. Maybe something got knocked off and fell into the pad. Or picked up from the road. Hard to imagine that as centrifugal forces are at work here.. Maybe bad brake pad construction?

Jrmorgan

OK?????????? Got my parts today, Monday the 24th.

Course Eurosport is closed. What happened?

Well looks like they sent "pin" type sensors, to go into the "pin" recieving pads. Also a bag of 4 bolts came. Will these pads fit into my calipers and what are the bolts for?

The van was sold as a 06, but the "Born on year date" is 05. The discs match up in size.

DO I wait to contact Eurpsports?

Thanks for your advice!

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Jrmorgan

This just gets better and better. So I replace the front brakes, put it all back together, then test drive. Grinding noise still there. OK off comes the right rear tires. OK you tell me, disc failure or brake pad failure....????:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Remember the grinding sound started 2 weeks ago, plus the sensor side pad to me, looks half way done. 17,500 on the truck.....

Attachments

Top Bottom