PDA

View Full Version : Sigh Grumble (*#$()@(_)

lildevildee
12-31-2007, 05:32 PM
What the heck is it about this vehicle? It's big enough to have its own zip code; how can people not see the dang thing? I've have my passenger side mirror clipped because a guy was forced into me to avoid another accident. Last night, I was parked on the street in Seattle and had a shuttle van bust the turn signal lens on the mirror. At least the guy left a card saying he did it, right?

BigBlueBus
12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
... At least the guy left a card saying he did it, right?
Wow..people still do that???

lildevildee
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, it was the local shuttle company (which I *WAS* going to call and set up a ride to the airport for tomorrow.) My guess is there were passengers in the van. However, dealing with them has been less than desirable. Only one person I can speak with and he's reachable only by voice mail. I've been transferred twice and had someone drop the call on me...we'll see how it goes from here on out.

jdcaples
12-31-2007, 06:53 PM
I've had more people not see my Sprinter than any other vehicle I've driven. They've whipped their vehicles into my lane as if the road were completely clear.

I suspect the Sprinter is so big that people can't distinguish it from the background (visual) noise, making it functionally invisible.

I've been looking at increasing the visibility with side markers and reflective decals, but I'm still haven't figured out which ones I might use.

Sorry to hear about your ride's damage, lildevildee.

-Jon

tegimr
12-31-2007, 08:05 PM
I've had more people not see my Sprinter than any other vehicle I've driven. They've whipped their vehicles into my lane as if the road were completely clear.

I suspect the Sprinter is so big that people can't distinguish it from the background (visual) noise, making it functionally invisible.

I've been looking at increasing the visibility with side markers and reflective decals, but I'm still haven't figured out which ones I might use.

Sorry to hear about your ride's damage, lildevildee.

-Jon
Oh, my, I've had a few near accidents as people pass and stare, or try to count kids, but never been pulled over on.
Sad about your new vehicle's damage. Glad that it was only mirrors.

Tim

lildevildee
12-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Well, the shuttle company is going to replace the part for me. I'm doing my own work instead of taking in to a shop. I asked them to give me a discount on towncar service to the airport. They offered $30 off, I asked for $40 off and got it. :) Saves them labor and gets me picked up shortly after last call tomorrow morning - without having to wake the kiddos.

kmessinger
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
It is a good idea (which I can seldom remember to do) to fold the mirrors in when parking in a lot and fold the street side in when parking on a street. I see that often in San Francisco and everytime I say, "Hey I have to do that."

I am thinking about putting extra marker lights about half way back on either side (our Sprinter is on order!). Some of those small cars look in the mirror and only see the side of the Sprinter. It is easy to understand how, for an idiot, it would look ok to move into the lane.

Regards,

Keith

BigBlueBus
01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I had an Isuzu Trooper that had power fold-in outside mirrors. Just push a button on the dash and both mirrors would fold in. I wonder why MB has not included this in the Sprinter since it has such big mirrors.

Here's another project to add to the list: buy a pair of used Trooper mirrors and adapt the mechanism to work on my Sprinter.

John

jdcaples
01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I noticed some reflective tape in a hardware store.

I'm thinking of applying some to my Sprinter to increase visibility.

In North America, I know 3M makes DOT-approved reflective tape, but I can't find any guidelines on installation.

For instance: Some tape is white/silver on one side and red on the other side. Does white go towards the center of the vehicle on a bumper, and towards the front either passenger or driver side?

-Jon

hkpierce
01-03-2008, 02:00 PM

If you take a look at some of the pictures of my van on this site, note I have put reflective tape in several locations:

1) On the frame of the hitch
2) On the hitch's receiver step
3) On the inside of the rear doors that are exposed to the rear when the doors are open
4) On the inside of the side doors that are exposed to the rear when the doors are open

The reason for all this reflective stuff is from my experience (1) driving vans that broke down all the time in the middle of the night (college kid driving past prime vans between home [CA] and school [DC]); (2) my blue-black Sprinter seems to disappear into the night. Its color actually seems to hide the van better than either a pure black or blue van. It is down right scary how such a large object simply disappears in the night; and (3) I have to park the van on a residential street designed in the 1920's for Model T's (which are still driven around in my neighborhood most every weekend) and A's - so no more than 2 1/2 lanes wide. My mirror has already been hit.

kendall69
01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I know they see me, because every time I drop off family at the airport hundreds of people suddenly pick up their luggage and move towards my curb and van yelling things like "are you the shuttle for the Marriott?" "Hyatt" "Motel 6".:smirk:

lildevildee
01-06-2008, 06:07 AM
Ordered the part from trademotion. They shipped promptly. I have the part in hand and am trying to set up a time for someone (NOT a Dodge dealership) to get it swapped in for me. We'd tackle it ourselves but...the hubby leaves in a couple days for 2.5 weeks. He will be home less than a week before we pack everything up and move 3000 miles to the east coast. I'll let everyone know how it goes once we get it changed out.

sikwan
01-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Have a safe trip! :thumbup: It's going to be treacherous out there especially this time of year.

anomaly
01-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Have a safe trip! :thumbup: It's going to be treacherous out there especially this time of year.

Treacherous heading to the EAST coast? Have you heard about that storm near San Jose? :smilewink:

Burchie
01-13-2008, 12:10 PM

In North America, I know 3M makes DOT-approved reflective tape, but I can't find any guidelines on installation.

For instance: Some tape is white/silver on one side and red on the other side. Does white go towards the center of the vehicle on a bumper, and towards the front either passenger or driver side?

-Jon

Here's a link to installation instructions for the 3M DOT approved reflective tape: http://www.truckntow.com/productspecs/3MTapeInstall.pdf Not the best guide, but it's a start. I'm still not sure about the white/silver & red/black applications, but I'm thinking I might apply some white pieces on the inside of the doors so they are more visible when open at night.

Altered Sprinter
01-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Here is an neon example of how the reflective tapes work on rear of 05 Sprinter this is the same 3M tape,which emergancy sprinters use. photos taken May 2005
White reflective tape on bottom of cargo doors not visable in daylight
Richard