Need New motor 2002 sprinter

Beatcable

Anybody know where a GOOD friend of mine can get a new,good used,rebuilt motor? He has a Freightliner 2002 Sprinter needs rebuilt ASAP or replaced. I kind of feel for him this is his busy season, and is down with his sprinter. Any help from all you out there would surely help him out. (Altoona Pa)

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all
Beatcable:thumbup:

Not that anyone asked...

These engines are generally expensive. They also generally run for many hundreds of thousand miles so often by the time the engine goes, the mileage is very high. A ten year old high mileage Sprinter can be in great shape, but the entire vehicle has seen that mileage, not just the engine. Transmissions are also expensive. OEM rear drive train components are not cheap either.

If the Sprinter is custom fit out for what you need then that may tip the balance for engine replacement. Unless there is some reason that the 10 year old Sprinter is dear to you I would definitely look around a bit for a replacement Sprinter so that cost can be compared to the new/rebuilt engine scenario. Even with a new engine it will still remain a high mileage vehicle. :2cents: vic

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Anybody know where a GOOD friend of mine can get a new,good used,rebuilt motor? He has a Freightliner 2002 Sprinter needs rebuilt ASAP or replaced. I kind of feel for him this is his busy season, and is down with his sprinter. Any help from all you out there would surely help him out. (Altoona Pa)
I have affordable, low mileage, complete plug and play engines available.

Doktor A

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
Andy is on the north side of PGH and I would go no where or spend any money until you consult with him.

Not that anyone asked...

These engines are generally expensive. They also generally run for many hundreds of thousand miles so often by the time the engine goes, the mileage is very high. A ten year old high mileage Sprinter can be in great shape, but the entire vehicle has seen that mileage, not just the engine. Transmissions are also expensive. OEM rear drive train components are not cheap either.

If the Sprinter is custom fit out for what you need then that may tip the balance for engine replacement. Unless there is some reason that the 10 year old Sprinter is dear to you I would definitely look around a bit for a replacement Sprinter so that cost can be compared to the new/rebuilt engine scenario. Even with a new engine it will still remain a high mileage vehicle. :2cents: vic
I understrand What Aqua Puttana is saying but there is another veriable. I bought my 2003, 3500in march 2011. I had it for 16 months with some issues (thank you Dixie Motors:thumbdown: for the "untrue" paperwork) when the motor went out. I would have been happy to trade it but a perfectly reasonable cost for a 2003 sprinter becomes a non starter with a blown motor. I am now not only upside down but 4' down. I can only hope it has no issues until I die. I paid a little over avaerage because of how it was set up interior etc. Who would pay anything close to payoff with a blown motor? It would cost me over $8,000 to sell it now for what it is now "worth". About what I would have paid someone to buy it from me with a blown motor.

...I am now not only upside down but 4' down...
That's a bad situation, but it can happen easily because it seems the Sprinters do basically hold value. About 5 years ago I paid much more than I think was reasonable (prudent?) for any brand used 2004 truck with 172,000 miles on the clock, but that's what Sprinters were bringing. If my engine went bad early on I could easily have ended up in your position.

I included this comment in that post as a kinda catchall for such things.

... Unless there is some reason that the 10 year old Sprinter is dear to you... vic
The reason I posted what I did is that it can be easy to get tunnel vision and start looking for an engine while there may be other alternatives that are more cost effective overall. Sometimes a comment from someone outside the situation helps to trigger a different viewpoint.

Doktor A has an excellent reputation for replacement engines. Waynerodd is another source who has gotten good press here. Good luck with your search. vic

Hind sight is 20/20. I "wish" I had started checking Sprtinter-Forum (or new about it) not only in the first year after but before I bought mine. If I had found it earlier I know I would have saved a young fortune

I bought a MB rebuilt engine for my 2005. Now that it is out of warrenty, I am adding a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Other than that, is seems to be fine.

I suggest the good Dr A would be the place to start.

i hate to admit I read the owners manual that said 1 % was normal and 5% hard use, read 1Qt per 100 qts fuel (20 gallons) to 1 gallon (5%) per 20 gallons. No one who thinks (not me then) would accept that.

talkinghorse43

I bought a MB rebuilt engine for my 2005. Now that it is out of warrenty, I am adding a quart of oil every 3,000 miles.
That's much higher than is commonly reported. Mine's <1 qt in 15k miles. The owner's manuals say ~1 qt in 1100 miles is max acceptable. Did you use a break-in or factory fill oil to begin?

PS - As an aside here, strange that the sheet specifying factory fill oil specs for various engines is no longer in BeVo - it was there in August.

When I bought my "used" 2003 sprinter in 2011 I was surprised when the low oil light came on. After filling it I read the owners manual and it said about the 1% and 5% number. I thought because I never owned a diesel before that was okay, now I know better.

talkinghorse43

i hate to admit I read the owners manual that said 1 % was normal and 5% hard use, read 1Qt per 100 qts fuel (20 gallons) to 1 gallon (5%) per 20 gallons. No one who thinks (not me then) would accept that.
You simply misread the owner's manual. It reads max of 0.5% of the fuel, which is 1 gallon of oil/200 gallons of fuel.

Digressing, I remember when I bought my new HP 289 ci - powered Mustang in '66, the manual warned that 250 miles/qt was not unusual and it would soon settle down to 500 miles/qt. I wasn't interested in tracking mpg then, but probably 10 mpg, so from 4% down to 2% of the fuel used - big changes since '66.

Top Bottom