PDA

View Full Version : Another discrepance found!

BigBlueBus
12-28-2007, 06:54 AM
I was under the impression that the optional sound 20 radio had far more features than the stardand sound 5; however, after reading the owners manual for the sound systems, I just found out that the sound 20 is very similar and limited as the sound 5.
Also, I just saw this interior picture of a Sprinter and I'm wondeing if any non_USA member recognize the radio head unit in this picture. I read somewhere about an upgraded sound 50 sound system...is that what this is? IS this yet another feature available in other countries except USA?

John

khoren
12-28-2007, 07:56 AM
my opinion this is similar to MB ML 350 OR 450 had unit just faceplate difference

Altered Sprinter
12-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Nav-sat Euro not compatable to US systems.. incorporates hands free blue tooth etc, sorry.
Richard

mean_in_green
12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
That looks like COMAND.

It was good three or four years ago, but outdated now.

There are far better systems available now, check out the Alpine install in tab380's NCV3 search Pioneer AVIC.

Simon

BigBlueBus
12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Nav-sat Euro not compatable to US systems.. incorporates hands free blue tooth etc, sorry.
Richard

What do you mean "not compatible to US systems". Are the connectors different? Why can't I purchase a unit in Europe and plug it into my vehicle? Please explain.

Also, will someone with a sound20 please post some pictures of your unit. The manual, sales brochures, and online pictures are all different. I still don't know what a sound20 looks like or what it does. I want to upgrade my unit, but I don't want to lose the steering wheel controls. If anyone has a sound20 and/or cd changer, please pm me.

Thanks,
John

Altered Sprinter
12-28-2007, 11:11 PM
What do you mean "not compatible to US systems". Are the connectors different? Why can't I purchase a unit in Europe and plug it into my vehicle? Please explain.

Also, will someone with a sound20 please post some pictures of your unit. The manual, sales brochures, and online pictures are all different. I still don't know what a sound20 looks like or what it does. I want to upgrade my unit, but I don't want to lose the steering wheel controls. If anyone has a sound20 and/or cd changer, please pm me.

Thanks,
John One having a remap to configure MB sedans are different
Order pre wiring option for hands free operation
I think anomaly worked out a system for it in part. sound 20 two version one half screen to fit in a standard din Useless to look at and see but half price, the full double Din full version is twice the cost
Different variations in different countries, Becker Eurovox and Sony
Richard

BigBlueBus
12-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Richard,
the interior picture I posted above is not in any of the radio options you provided. It looks different than the sound 50 head unit. There may be more radio options available than just the sound1, sound5, sound20 and sound50.

tab380
12-29-2007, 02:30 AM
Your looking at the command radio with Navigation and phone. I wanted that to, but its not for US. different cell phone system and navigation. No US maps.
They posted a E-bay page that was selling one a few months ago, but someone warned that it would not work right in the US.:idunno:

Altered Sprinter
12-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Richard,
the interior picture I posted above is not in any of the radio options you provided. It looks different than the sound 50 head unit. There may be more radio options available than just the sound1, sound5, sound20 and sound50.
Different frequency's for different countries three radio systems made I'll run up the full versions latter on today
GPS mapping for Euro only not US as TAB has said.
PS the last unit for the CD is a Sony MY year 2000
As Simon...Man In Green... has said. these are now outdated as to the end price you pay.
But they sure look nice MB sedans have a simular unit in the US Look at those on eBay at least they will retrofit with a little help from a sparky.
Richard

BigBlueBus
12-29-2007, 04:38 AM
What I was after with this good-looking unit is that if it has aux audio/video inputs; If it did, it could be used as a monitor where I could plug in a separate GPS remote box into it, and also for a back up camera, and I could still use the steering wheel controls for the regular radio functions. It looks better to me than any aftermarket unit. I don't care about the phone bluetooth feature or command, If my kids are in the van I cannot have a conversation unless I have my cell phone headset attached to my head anyhow.

BigBlueBus
12-29-2007, 04:40 AM
...MB sedans have a simular unit in the US Look at those on eBay at least they will retrofit with a little help from a sparky. Richard

retrofit?? The dimensions are different, how will this work? Who is sparky?

Gerry O
12-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I have a Sound 20 system and wanted to try and add the cable that Anomaly had done to his Sound 5, so that I could play an ipod. I contacted Becker and they asked for a model #? Does anyone know what the model # is for the Sound 20, I don't really want to pull the radio unless I have the cable to attach.

Altered Sprinter
12-29-2007, 11:10 PM
retrofit?? The dimensions are different, how will this work? Who is sparky? C class Mercedes has the same dimensions unless there has been a US revision
Sparky != Auto electrician
Richard

BigBlueBus
12-30-2007, 01:53 AM
I have a Sound 20 system and wanted to try and add the cable that Anomaly had done to his Sound 5, so that I could play an ipod. I contacted Becker and they asked for a model #? Does anyone know what the model # is for the Sound 20, I don't really want to pull the radio unless I have the cable to attach.

Gerry,
you don't need the $16 part from Becker. I did mine by attaching wire terminals to each of the 3 individual posts in the back of the radio.

John

Gerry O
12-31-2007, 02:58 AM
John, thanks for the info, does that also charge up the ipod?

I may do that in the future. As it was Christmas, I just got a Belkin Ipod plug into the cigarette lighter gizmo. Tried it out yesterday and it seems to work ok, and it also charges up the ipod, so for now problem solved:laughing:

BigBlueBus
12-31-2007, 06:08 PM
John, thanks for the info, does that also charge up the ipod?
No it does not, it just gives you an aux input port to plug any audio device into the radio via a 2.5mm plug or RCA connectors, whichever you choose to solder to the other end of the wires.

I may do that in the future. As it was Christmas, I just got a Belkin Ipod plug into the cigarette lighter gizmo. Tried it out yesterday and it seems to work ok, and it also charges up the ipod, so for now problem solved:laughing:

I gues you can also take apart an ipod dock/charger and wire it directly to the back of the radio and add a powersource, like from the cigarrete lighter to power up the ipod.

John